Not retaining/restoring expanded/collapsed sidebar categories/tags/Watchtower when closed/reopened

alexclst
alexclst
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When launching 1Password 7 beta 9 the sections of the sidebar that can be opened and closed are consistently closed. This is if the sidebar is thin or wide, and even if I was in one of those categories when last in 1Password. The expected behavior would be that the sidebar remembers its state, and that the same sidebar item you were viewing when last in the app is where you are on relaunches.

1Password Version: 7.0 beta 9
Extension Version: same
OS Version: 10.13.4/17E199
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

It's "better" in that the window size and position are restored. But it's still frustratingly not remembering the window state. For instance if I close the app with "Favorites" selected and "Categories" and "Tags" expanded when I relaunch the app "All Items" is selected and "Categories" and "Tags" are collapsed. And the sections being collapsed is a new bug because it wasn't doing that in the previous betas. :(

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Ditto. And it's not remembering which section was selected and always reverts back to "All Items" upon launch as well.

• @OAW. I've split your comments into the appropriate thread so that we can better track this issue. Thank you both for the report regarding this change in beta 9.

Ben

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

Now beta 9 remembers window size and position, but it still forgets open/close status of category and tag menu in the left-side list. Even if I quit the app with the category and tag menu open, they are both closed when I restart the app, and I need to open them again every time.

• Thanks, @ojix2. I’ve split your comments off and into the appropriate thread.

Ben

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I've noticed this bug doesn't seem to happen if you lock the app before closing it. When you do that it re-opens to the previous state after entering your master password. But if you close the app without locking it first then when you re-launch it the sidebar sections are collapsed and you "All Items" is selected. So selecting the "Lock when main window is closed" option in preferences seems to be a solid workaround for this issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@OAW: Thanks! My sidebar sections seem to close at other times on their own too, but this may help us track down the issues with the new sidebar in general. :)

• lifjoy
    lifjoy
    Community Member

When 1Password7 (7.0.BETA-10 ) quits and relaunches:

• The previous window size/location is no longer restored from the previous session.

• The CATEGORIES, TAGS, FOLDERS items are usually always hidden, even though they were visible before quitting the app.

Feature request: on the View menu, please add options to show/hide CATEGORIES, TAGS, FOLDERS.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

Looks like this issue is not fixed yet by beta 10. Disappointed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lifjoy: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We're aware of these issues and will be addressing them in a future update. Thanks for participating in the beta! :)

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

Is anyone else constantly collapsing the sidebar items by accident like Categories, Tags, and the vault list?

If others are having the same issue, there could be a possible enhancement to usability.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.10.5 Beta
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@verdi1987: Just to clarify, are you actually using macOS 10.13.5 beta? I don't think you'd be able to run 1Password 7 if you were still on Yosemite. Probably just a typo. :)

Anyway, the issue you're describing is a known bug we're working to address. Definitely a bit of a nuisance, so I'm sorry for the trouble there. We'll get this fixed! :blush:

ref: apple-768

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

Thanks, @brenty! And, yes, it was a typo; I am running macOS 10.13.5 Beta?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I figured that was the case. Thanks for confirming though! We'll get it sorted.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @verdi1987,

I've merged your report of this issue, and brenty's replies, into this similar discussion.

Until the bug's been squashed, something OAW posted earlier can help work around it:

I've noticed this bug doesn't seem to happen if you lock the app before closing it. When you do that it re-opens to the previous state after entering your master password. But if you close the app without locking it first then when you re-launch it the sidebar sections are collapsed and you "All Items" is selected. So selecting the "Lock when main window is closed" option in preferences seems to be a solid workaround for this issue.

Even if that increases the frequency of unlocking, I find it to be less inconvenient than readjusting the expanded/collapsed state of sidebar sections ever time the main app window is opened.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

If one can unlock 1Password7 beta by touch ID, that work around will be very helpful, but my Mac does not have the touch ID button, I need to type my main password by both hands every time I unlock the app. Contrary, readjusting the sidebar can be done by touching trackpad with a single finger, which is less inconvenient. So it depends on which Mac model one uses.
    Prompt fixing of the bug is desirable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't understand how Touch ID is relevant to this discussion, but as mentioned above we will have 1Password remember sidebar settings between launches in a future update. Cheers! :)

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

In the security setting, I have checked “Lock after computer is idle 5 minutes”. So before the time is up, I can reopen its window without re-unlocking. Due to the current bug, each time I will have to click the categories and tags menu in the sidebar and reopen them. Troublesome of course, but this is a single finger operation, at least.

But if I set “Lock when main window is closed” on, I have to unlock the app every time I want to use it. Unlocking the app could be easy if I can do it by Touch ID, but those who cannot use Touch ID need to type the master password every time with both hands, and this is much more troublesome than the previous single finger operation.

This is what I meant.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah! Thanks for clarifying. Indeed, the fact that 1Password is now a "unified" single app complicates things a bit. I appreciate the details, as those are things we'll need to consider as we continue tweaking things in version 7. Thank you for your feedback! :)

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

This is just a reminder. While I guess you already know it, the sidebar issue still remains unsolved in the beta 11.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Thanks for letting us know! Indeed, I'm seeing the the same thing here. We'll get it sorted. :)

ref: apple-768

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

Again, no change in beta 12.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming. I suspect it will be noted in the release notes when we have a fix for this. Thanks for your patience. :)

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

This issue survives beta 16, the first release candidate of 1Password 7.
    So I am now wondering if this behavior of the sidebar is on purpose, or is just given very low priority.

• Jonnoy
    Jonnoy
    Community Member

Was about to start a new thread before seeing this, the sidebar collapsing on opening up the app again had been irritating me as well, very pleased to see a fix is inbound, many thanks!

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

I see some inconsistency as the show/hide settings of sidebar categories and tags are retained in the new beta 16’s supersized 1Password mini but not in the main app.

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

I’m saddened that this bug is still present in release candidate 1, especially since the new mini doesn’t have the bug. Please get this fixed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reporting, @ojix2, @Jonnoy and @alexclst. As brenty mentioned above, we'll have a resolution for this as quickly as possible.

This discussion has been closed.