Autofill on Android Oreo

Sinister
Sinister
Community Member

So I now have Android Oreo. Autofill works much better than the workaround that 1password had . to use on Android Nougat, which worked OK enough.

The issue I now have is that if autofill is enabled, then it offered to remember every single password, and there is no way to turn it off, without turning off autofill altogether.

p.s. In addition to the above, are you guys looking to have 1password copy and prompt to use the TOTP as with Mac, or is there no way t do this on cel phones?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Sinister. I'm glad you get to take advantage of Autofill in Android O. Can you clarify what you mean when you say it offers to save your passwords? It should indeed offer to save passwords that aren't already saved. If you fill a Login though, it shouldn't be offering. Also, is your vault in 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault format?

That said, I'll pass your request for auto-copying TOTP values to the clipboard on to our team.

• Thanks. I see what you mean about the prompt to save. I'll pass this on to our team!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Bump up for priority.

@Sinister: This is the same thread you've started yourself less than two weeks ago. We're aware of your feelings on this, but we don't have anything new to share at this time.

This is driving me crazy. A good example is TorGuard. Every time I log in (the TorGuard app saves the user name and password) it prompts to remember the password (worse part is that it is already in 1p).

I'm sorry to hear that, but we'd rather 1Password offer to save something than not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It makes no sense to have it show up every single time, especially for a password an app is saving and thus was neither typed in nor pasted in AND that was filled in by 1p the first time. How about a never for this site or an ability to turn off offering tonsave altogether, without having it tied in to having to turn off autofill entirely?

@Sinister: I agree that it would be better if 1Password could perfectly detect this every time. It's something we'll continue to work on.

What king of answer is that? "We'd rather offer it to save something rather than not"?!

It's the truth. Given the current options — offering to save every time or not offering to save at all — the one that does not result in data loss is better, even if it is inconvenient sometimes.

Thats a brush-off answer. "We dont want to improve oir product in this regard even if it makes no sense and we dont want give you ability to turn off something by itself. We'd rather you turn off the whole autofill feature entirely" . You sound like apple.... "we know best, we tell what your defaults should be..." You hadn't given answers like that for the past two years...

Nowhere have I or anyone else at AgileBits said those things. Only you have. I'm not suggesting that you disable it. I'm asking that you bear with us as we continue to work to improve this new feature.

I think you're uniquely qualified to notice the improvements we've been making just these last few months already, some in response to your own requests. I do apologize though if that gave you the impression that we can do (almost) everything else you want in the short term. We'll continue to add new features and improve existing ones, and we're grateful for your feedback; but keep in mind that all of this takes time. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sinister: I agree. We don't want to annoy anyone. We just need to ensure that people aren't losing passwords because 1Password does not offer to save them. But I'm sure we can refine this over time. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. In the meantime, please consider an option to turn that off - then the can choose how the app is used, just like one could turn off autofill.

@Sinister: It's certainly something we can consider. :)

Whenever a NEW password is crated and presumably pasted in, the user would have presumably first created the login in one password - no one would type in a NEW password by hand, without enough entropy, etc., so presumably 1password ALREADY has the password, as is my case in all of the instances. As such, a user could leave autofill on, and turn off remember password, while still having the password created and stored in 1p.

I think you're probably right about this in a lot of cases, but I don't think that's a safe assumption for us to make when designing 1Password. Not everyone has been using 1Password for a long time, and for folks who were using another password manager or none at all previously, they will need 1Password to offer to save. I'm not saying you're suggesting otherwise, but I think we need to keep the big picture in mind with the design. Thanks! :)

• Thanks for the request. I'll pass this on to our team to consider.

This discussion has been closed.