Searching in the "categories" view does not show the correct results

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member
edited March 2018 in iOS

When I unlock 1Password an search for an item in the "categories" view, it does not show what I'm looking for. For example I'm looking for an item called "Gravis", and it shows me some entries starting with "G" but not the one I'm searching for. And the app also seems to be stuck on this search result, because when I type something else, it stills shows the above mentioned items. The only way out of this is to force-quit the app and start it again. Then searching works as expected, but this is only temporary.

When I tap on the "All Items" view, search does work. Search also works when I switch to the "Favorites" view

I can't exactly reproduce this, but I'm pretty sure this happens when iOS is suspending (or whatever it's called) the 1Password app when it's inactive.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Manaburner

Darn. We had hoped that the fix we applied in v7.0.6 resolved this. I’ll let the team know that the problem is still occurring for you. It has been particularly difficult to track down as there doesn’t seem to be any reliable way to reproduce the issue.

Ben

ref: OPI-4447

• Hey @Manaburner

Following up on this... Do you have a Primary vault? Or are you exclusively using 1Password.com vaults? Please let me know.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    Yes I have a primary vault too synced with Dropbox

• The plot thickens. Can you tell if the sync file is an Agile Keychain or an OPVault? You can figure this out a couple of ways... You can look in the Dropbox folder and check the file extension: 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault, or you can look in 1Password for Mac under Preferences > Sync and check there.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

It’s OPVault

• Okay, thanks. I'll add that information to the bug report. Unfortunately it shoots down my theory, but we may still be on to something.

Ben

• doof
    doof
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue if you need any info to help troubleshoot. ios 11.2.6 1password 7.0.6

• @doof

Are you using 1Password.com vaults or standalone vaults or a mix of both? If you’re using standalone vaults what sync service, if any, are you using?

Thanks.

Ben

• doof
    doof
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I'm using 1Password.com vaults only.

• Thanks, @doof.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi @Ben
    Today I found it to happen the other way round, i.e. searching in the favorites view did not work, but categories view did.
    I’ve setup my app to have the primary vault (Dropbox) as the one to „Always open to“. Just in case this is helpful ;)

• Thanks for the update, @Manaburner. I'm not sure if that makes the situation any easier to track down, but I'll let the team know. :)

Ben

• ksymmers
    ksymmers
    Community Member

I am having similar issues. Incomplete search results. Using iPhone IOS 11.2.6 and 1Password 7.0.6. I have a primary vault and sync using iCloud with another iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

• Thanks for the report @ksymmers.

Ben

• wolfram_palmer
    wolfram_palmer
    Community Member

I have this again. See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/416611#Comment_416611. 7.0.6 fixed it ... for a short time.
    I have a mix of 1Password.com vaults and standalone vaults (iCloud).
    It always happens when 1Password was in the background. And it always delivers the correct result on a fresh start.

• Thanks @wolfram_palmer. We thought we had this fixed up with 7.0.6, but I’ve seen cases where it is actually worse now. :( It has unfortunately been a fairly difficult issue to nail down, but we’re still making efforts in that direction.

Ben

• kazooless
    kazooless
    Community Member

I had the same problem today. This is the first time I've seen it. I recently (the day it was announced) installed the new Windows beta on my Windows machine and upgraded my vaults to OPVault. I use all local vaults synced with Dropbox. Quitting the app from the iOS app launcher seemed to have reset it.

• Thanks for the report @kazooless.

Ben

• mpaska_au
    mpaska_au
    Community Member

Hi team,

This is definitely a problem for me too and I can confirm that the issue is much, much worse in 7.0.6. Searching in general has been very broken for a while now.

Here's a video of the problem in action: https://youtu.be/7pjFvWCuYEw. It's a little hard to see, as I have to blank out the screen so you can't see my credit card numbers but if I click on the credit card "John's AMEX" under the "J" category after searching for AMEX, I can get into the details pane. However clicking the "Michael's AMEX" never, ever works!!

I can replicate this issue every single time with searching.

I can also verify that "Michael's AMEX" works, if I manually browse to it I can access the details pane.

I'm also still seeing incorrect search results appear as-well, so 7.0.6 is definitely 5 steps backwards for searching issues.

• Thanks, @mpaska_au. I'm sorry to hear that, but thanks for taking the time to share.

Ben

• omiba
    omiba
    Community Member

Having the same issue, has gotten worse with the latest update. Really frustrating. Only way I’ve figured out how to solve it is to close (swipe up quit) the application and reauthenticate. Hope you all can solve. We are using 1Password vaults only (about 6-7).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the trouble there. We're looking for ways to make search more reliable, so you don't have to keep quitting and restarting. :blush:

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

At the risk of just adding a me too, I'm also experiencing this issue. I am using 7.0.6, with ios 11.3.1. I find that when I type the search it seems to show the first letter of the search and get 'stuck' on that set of results, e.g. i type paypal but it shows all the items that begin with p in alphabetical order, and any changes to the search term make no difference, even changing completely to a different first letter doesn't change the results. Switching between titles and everything makes no difference. If I then cancel and switch to a category, e.g. from 'all items' to just 'logins' then sometimes the search will work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

"Me too"s are always welcome. I'm just sorry it's not a very happy one in this case. Hopefully we'll have a fix for this soon. Happens to me regularly too. :(

ref: apple-62

• memeLab
    memeLab
    Community Member

im experiencing this too. I have a mixture of vaults, and find search slow and unreliable... right now it won’t find an item I know to be in there; the searching spinning continues to turn, the no results message displays over the previous search results, and the results list flickers... renders the app nearly unusable (my workaround has been to have a long list of favorites and avoid using the app for anything I know is not favorited)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@memeLab: I don't find search slow, but I would agree that it's not particularly useful when I run into this glitch. Can you give me some more information? What are the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using?

• mpaska_au
    mpaska_au
    Community Member

Super quick testing with 7.1 update seems to have fixed this, finally!!!

• Thanks for the update! We do indeed believe we've finally got this fixed up in 7.1. It was always an intermittent problem so it is difficult to say for sure, but we're fairly confident in the fix.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.