2FA Support Article Seems to Mix Terminology

JadC
JadC
1Password Alumni

I was looking to finally move from Google Authenticator and was looking into 1Password OTPs. I noticed in the support article for OTPs that you guys seem to mix "two-step verification" with "two-factor authentication" a lot. I am pretty sure they are two different things and the terminology should be more linear :).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jadchaar: Yeah, multifactor authentication is a bit of a mess. It's one of the many reasons we didn't add it to 1Password.com right out of the gate, and why we continue to deemphasize it in general. Super confusing for most people, and the terminology alone doesn't help. :(

But, in fact, I think it's a good thing that we use both of those terms in that support article because:

1. those are the most commonly used, and
    2. they're fairly equally represented among big names like Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, and Google.

Confusingly, however, I believe Apple still uses both, and they are different things...

Anyway, I wish that things were more "linear" in the industry, but it's useful to have both of those so people can find either when searching. It's not much, but it's something. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.