1Password extension for Microsoft Edge may not be available for new customers in Microsoft Store

Hi folks,

Microsoft has pulled our 1Password extension from their Microsoft Store due to a policy issue. This does not remove the 1Password extension from anyone who already downloaded this before but it does mean if you've never installed 1Password from the Microsoft Store, you won't be able to find our extension.

We're working with Microsoft to address their concerns and we will investigate for an alternative solution for our Microsoft Edge customers.

Comments

• TimTDP
    TimTDP
    Community Member

hope this gets resolved soon. Otherwise just another excuse not to use edge!

Who is #1Password?

• Bluey47
    Bluey47
    Community Member

Thanks for the forum post, Could you update the download page please?
    Link to this forum post or something instead of linking to a page not found. Will save others time tyring to work out why its not working, thanks.

• TimTDP
    TimTDP
    Community Member

Search for 1Password on Microsoft store

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member

Didn't even find this when searching the forum... was also trying to download the extension via the website.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

hope this gets resolved soon. Otherwise just another excuse not to use edge!

@TimTDP: I rather like Edge...but yeah, I need 1Password in my browser, and I know many others feel the same. Fortunately, there are alternatives. but we'll continue to work with Microsoft to see if we can get this straightened out. :)

Who is #1Password?

What do you mean?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the forum post, Could you update the download page please? Link to this forum post or something instead of linking to a page not found. Will save others time tyring to work out why its not working, thanks.

@Bluey47: Good point. We'll see what's best, though we do hope this is only temporary.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Didn't even find this when searching the forum... was also trying to download the extension via the website.

@andy_vdg: I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully we'll be able to get this sorted out before too long. :(

• TimTDP
    TimTDP
    Community Member

There is no url for #1Password
    If you search for 1Password in Microsoft's store, #1Password is returned as an app

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@TimTDP: Wait....what?! Thanks for letting us know! That's definitely not our app... :angry:

• Auerhahn
    Auerhahn
    Community Member

Which are the alternatives? With the Extension for IE it's the same problem. 1Password works quite good on MacOS and I expected somewhat similar in Windows. But...

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Auerhahn,

Even when we did support IE with 1Password 4, we had the same recommendations as we do with 1Password 6/7 for Windows, Chrome and Firefox are the best browsers to use with 1Password. Our 1Password extension for IE didn't have all of the features that Chrome/Firefox extensions have.

• Auerhahn
    Auerhahn
    Community Member

Aha. May be Chrome and Firefox are the best for use with 1Password. But they are not the best available. I don't like them. OK. That's it. How so I understand the message that I can try 1Password 1 month for free? Does this mean when I cancel my account now, I will not be charged for it?

• @Auerhahn: If you're still in the trial period, you can cancel without being charged. Beyond Chrome and Firefox, though, Opera and Vivaldi are both supported browsers with the desktop app, if either works for you. You can also use 1Password X in Ghost browser, if you'd like.

We do want to support Microsoft Edge. It was challenge to develop an extension that would work there and successfully interface with the desktop app and we'd not have gone to the trouble if it wasn't important to us. We will absolutely continue to work towards a solution to allow y'all to use 1Password in Edge, whatever form it might take, and as Mike mentioned, if you already installed the Edge extension you can continue to use it without interruption. We're not taking it away from you. :+1:

• mm2001
    mm2001
    Community Member

Another person who stumbled up on this after using the link to (try to) download the Edge browser extension from https://1password.com/browsers/

Please, is it so hard to update the web page until you get this resolved? I'm not going to get my 15 mins back (googling for links, is it my country, do I need a store account, is there a forum topic?), but maybe it will save someone else...

Good luck sorting this out...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Hi there @mm2001,

We will try to update our Downloads page or find a workaround soon. I am sorry for these troubles and inconvenience.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you!

ref: B5-718

• Boschy
    Boschy
    Community Member

The download page still isn't updated. I just lost half an hour before finding this post.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Boschy: We are in talks with Microsoft regarding this question at the moment. I am really sorry that it is taking longer than expected.

We will post an update here, once we have more news. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Just an update, Microsoft is going to permit our extension back into the store and we are seeing signs that some customers are able to download it again in a few countries but we're not seeing it in either US or Canada yet. It may take a few extra days for 1Password to show up again in the Store.

• andy_vdg
    andy_vdg
    Community Member

It's back for me here in New Zealand :chuffed:

• 🎉 Thanks for letting us know!

• Hi,

It's not something we can share with the public at the moment, we are continuing our discussions with Microsoft about a better way to prevent this from happening again but there's no guarantee of anything right now.

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member

Thanks for your effort.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your support! We'll continue to work with Microsoft to avoid any future hiccups. :)

• We're seeing 1Password now in Microsoft Store and we've released a minor update to improve some things like no more extra 1Password entry in the Start menu.

I'll unpin this thread in the mean time.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

I just updated to Windows 10 Pro 1803 Build 17134.1. It told me 1Password had to be updated in Edge. I had to uninstall the old version in Edge and downloaded v 4.6.12.90 from the Microsoft store and it does not work in Edge.

The extensions for Chrome and Firefox are OK. But, fails to work in Edge and Internet Explorer (both updated in Windows 10 1803)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BobArch2,

Do you happen to use 1Password 4 for Windows? The thing is that 1Password extension for Microsoft Edge does not work with 1Password 4 for Windows and requires 1Password 6 for Windows or higher.

If are using 1Password 4 and 1Password extension does not work in Internet Explorer, we will need to investigate. Please let me know.

Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: The latest Windows update does cause some issues for 1Password 7 in Edge, but it's working here. You should be able to get it working by opening 1Password first and then Edge. You may need to kill the processes for both and restart them though if Windows suspends them (which can happen due to sleep). Let me know what you find.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@Greg @brenty O/S Windows 10 Pro v1803 Build 17134.1; 1Password v4.6.2.626; Browsers as follows...

Chrome (default) v66.0.3359.139 ... 1Password Extension 4.7.0.90 Works fine
    Firefox v59.0.3 ... 1Password Extension 4.6.12.90 Works fine
    Internet Explorer v11.1.17134.1.0 1Password Extension 4.6.2.626 Does not work
    Edge v42.17134.1.0 1Password Extension 4.6.12.90 Does not work

Just providing information since Chrome is my default browser with Firefox as fallback ... both work fine.

I use 1Password v4 on both my desktop PC and iPad. Separate licenses purchased 4 years ago. Mention is made of 1Password 6 and 1Password 7. Which is the closest to what I have now and is it a "one-time-purchase" (like v4) or is it an annual subscription. I do not any "family" pack.

Cheers,

Bob

P.S. I tried your suggestion Brenty ... it no wanna work! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: Greg was right. It wasn't clear from your earlier comments that you're using 1Password 4, but since that's the case you cannot use 1Password with Edge. Only the current version of 1Password for Windows can integrate with Microsoft's new browser. You should check out the beta:

Introducing 1Password 7 Beta for Windows

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.