Why should I download 1Password X if I already have the chrome extension?

Also why are so many more permissions needed compared to the regular extension? Why do you need to manage my bookmarks?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password x vs chrome extension

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JBallin: I can answer the first question much better, and I'll let @dteare or @beyer follow up with more details on the second:

Why should I download 1Password X if I already have the chrome extension?

In short, if you're able to use the native 1Password app on your computer and you have all the functionality you want in the existing 1Password desktop extension, you probably don't need 1Password X. 1Password X is most useful in situations where you cannot (or prefer not to) install a native app, such as Linux machines, Chromebooks, or company computers with restrictions on what you can install and use.

Also why are so many more permissions needed compared to the regular extension? Why do you need to manage my bookmarks?

I don't know all of the details, but I believe the idea is that we have some additional functionality we'd like to add in the future, and it was simply easier to request these permissions upfront rather than having the extension be disabled and prompt again later on. The existing 1Password desktop extension has similar permissions, but I think it makes some sense for 1Password X to have more since it cannot rely on a native app for any additional functionality. But, at the same time, it makes good sense for you to question it, so I'll get you a better answer. :)

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty! That'll suffice for me but possibly a more detailed answer will be helpful for future readers.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.