To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What is the difference between a license, a membership and an account? Your website is very confusi

gcathey
gcathey
Community Member
edited April 2018 in Memberships

I want to know the difference between a license, a membership and an account? Your website is very confusing on these terms that are used as if I already know they mean to you. I don't. I know only what they mean to me, which does not seem to match your definitions. Then I need to know which one I have.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what is the difference between a license, a membership and an account? Your website is very confusi

ref: XGV-16555-545

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gcathey: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! A "membership" is pretty much like it sounds: it's an account you pay a subscription for. You will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership, after we introduced them about two years ago. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. That includes all of the apps and involves no license management or sync configuration — you simply sign into your account to access your data on a device.

On the other hand, you can use 1Password with a without an account — using a single-purchase license you purchased for a specific version — and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. In that case, each app is a separate purchase.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• gcathey
    gcathey
    Community Member

So, I suppose I have a license. Now I want to share my 1Password data to my wife's phone and her personal computer. Do I simply buy a Family Membership? Will my data migrate from my license to the new account?

• Yep, that’d be the way to do it. So, to add to what Brenty mentioned, as I think it will help clarify for this specific purpose: I like to think of the “membership” (in this case a 1Password Families membership) as a house. Within that house you can have multiple people (“accounts”). In general each person should have their own account, but those might all live in the same house / be part of the same membership.

One of my colleagues likes to use the analogy of an Australian cork hat. The hat is the membership, and the corks hanging off of it are accounts:

Hopefully that makes the distinction between memberships and accounts more clear and not less. ;) As for transfering your data over we have a guide on that available here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once you have the membership established and your own data migrated you can invite your wife:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

You’ll invite her to your membership where she’ll create her own account (she’ll get her own Master Password and Secret Key). I hope that helps! If you have questions along the way please feel free to ask.

Ben

• gcathey
    gcathey
    Community Member

@Ben: Well now I have questions. They have to do with a total inability to get the 1Password app downloaded onto my wife's iPhone. Should we continue this personal help somewhere outside this thread, or continue here?

• We can continue here, unless we get into something fairly technical (where we’ll need a diagnostic report), or get into a situation where we need to look up your account information. What seems to be the difficulty installing 1Password? Does her device meet the requirements?

System requirements for 1Password

Ben

• gcathey
    gcathey
    Community Member

@Ben: Her iPhone is a 6 Plus, running IOS vers. 11.3. Should qualify. When trying to download the 1Password app, she gets the message that the Family payment credit card has the wrong security code and that she should get me to issue a new payment card. I have double- and triple-checked the card's number and security code. I have tried to edit the card on my 1Password account at 1password.com, but no such capability is available to me there, so I have re-entered the card's info as a "new" card and deleted the "old" one. Still gets the same error. We use this card online all the time, and it always works, until now. So, even though she is confirmed as a member of the Family, she cannot mount the app.

• That’s strange, as 1Password is a free-to-download app. This is the app she is trying to install on her device, correct?

1Password 7 for iOS - iTunes App Store

As this download is through the App Store whatever message you are seeing about credit card info would be from Apple through the App Store. You may want to double check the details you have on file for iTunes / App Store purchases:

Change or remove your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• gcathey
    gcathey
    Community Member

@Ben: Sure enough, it was a problem with the credit card info registered with Apple. (Not sure how they have been billing and collecting funds from me all this time.) I just carefully re-entered the card's data and everything worked.

• Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted. Once you downloaded the app were you able to sign into her existing account that is part of your 1Password Families membership?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.