1Password 7 Beta Safari Extension Reappears in Toolbar

amocko
amocko
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Loving the new beta so far, but one thing that's driving me crazy is that removing the 1PW extension from the toolbar in Safari doesn't seem to stick. I know I'm probably a weirdo for not wanting it there, but I always envoke 1PW with the keyboard shortcut so there's no need to have it in my toolbar. Admittedly I'm not sure if it's reappearing with each beta update or it just reappears on its own. It didn't happen with v.6, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the redesign of the extension.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-4 (70000004) AgileBit
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@amocko It is indeed a function of the redesign, not present in pre-7.0 versions. And it's a good thing, for the vast majority of users. You can disable it by unchecking it in Safari's Preferences > Extensions, but the only way to remove it entirely is to completely uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac.

• Edelheid
    Edelheid
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

I agree on being able to get rid of the toolbar from view. I have several other extensions that also use toolbars and together they steadily clutter up my browser, and they come without contextual menu item(s), so there’s not much choice to be made there.

However, with 1Password, the keyboard shortcut is used predominantly. Barring that, I can use its contextual menu item as well.

@Lars But wouldn’t disabling the extension actually prevent the keyboard shortcut from working? I was told it’s what fills, so it’s needed to be installed in order to fill data into Safari.

• Kristaps
    Kristaps
    Community Member

It is possible to have the extension enabled without the toolbar button — you just need to right-click on the toolbar, press Customize Toolbar and drag the 1Password button out of it.

• Edelheid
    Edelheid
    Community Member

Mhm, but it reappears even after the deed. Apparently by design.

• amocko
    amocko
    Community Member

I'm not looking to disable the extension entirely because as @Edelheid mentioned, I believe, this would disable the keyboard shortcut from working, removing the feature that makes 1PW so useful.

@Kristaps Removing it from the toolbar is only a temporary solution because it returns shortly after, which seems to be the intended behavior with the new design.

• Hi @amocko @Kristaps @Edelheid,

I spoke with the team about this today and it looks like it's an issue with Safari. We're going to reach out to Apple about it and let them know so they can get things fixed up. You're welcome to file a bug report for it at http://bugreport.apple.com as well. Cheers! :)

• amocko
    amocko
    Community Member

Hi @Jacob,
    This is good news. Thank you for following up. :)

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

I know I'm probably a weirdo for not wanting it there, but I always envoke 1PW with the keyboard shortcut so there's no need to have it in my toolbar.

Not in the least. There are many users who like to keep the UI as minimalist as possible so as to keep the focus on the content. I'm with you, and prefer to rely on keyboard shortcuts as well. It's one of the reasons Bartender is a "pry from my cold dead hands" app, along with 1Password and a few others.

• Oh totally. I like my UI minimal, but I personally like having 1Password in my toolbar. Shortcuts rule though! 👏

• apb123
    apb123
    Community Member

I have the opposite problem. My 1password 7 browser extensions keep disappearing! I keep on having to reinstall it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @apb123,

When you say reinstall, can you elaborate please. The 1Password 7 extension comes as part of the 1Password application bundle, a bit like how it works on iOS. As long as the 1Password application bundle is present the new extension should be present in Safari's extensions. The older extension, the one you had to manually install for 1Password 4-6 won't work with 1Password 7 and Safari will remove it if it is present as part of its regular scans. Are you saying you have to repeatedly reinstall the 1Password 7 beta?

• apb123
    apb123
    Community Member

Well it keeps disappearing. So I download the extension again and then it appears. But then it disappears and I have to redownload the extension. This is happening seeming when I shut down safari and restart it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@apb123 - Hmm...that's just not supposed to be the case, and it makes me wonder what else might be going on with your particular 1Password setup. Can you take a screenshot of the Extensions tab of Safari Preferences after you reinstall the 1Password extension? You can attach it to a reply here via the toolbar just above the comment box, like this:

This discussion has been closed.