Dropbox Sync "Error Listing Keychains"

Options
awluter
awluter
Community Member

I have been syncing my vault via Dropbox on two different iOS devices for years, and it has worked flawlessly. I am now trying to install the app and sync a third iOS device. However, every time I attempt to add the vault via Dropbox, I receive the "Error Listing Keychains" error message. I have worked through the listed Dropbox troubleshooting steps to no avail. Any other thoughts on what might be causing this one device to not connect/sync properly?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@awluter: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! If you're signing into the correct Dropbox account (not necessarily a given), it sounds like you're running into an old Dropbox issue (where 1Password asks it for a list of its vaults and it gives us nothing for some reason) that can be a bit baffling. Try this:

1. Disable sync in 1Password on all of your devices
    2. Move the 1Password vault in Dropbox to another location completely. It really shouldn't matter where; this is easiest to do on a computer, where you can just drag it to the Desktop or something, and wait for Dropbox to show that it is finished syncing
    3. Move the 1Password vault back to your Dropbox folder; Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ is recommended, but not required
    4. Setup sync in 1Password on all of your devices to use that same vault in that location

You should now get a better response as Dropbox reindexes its files. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• awluter
    awluter
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the response; similar to @Nechama I tried moving the vault in Dropbox but ended up with the same problem/error. To provide a few more specifics, in the "Sync with Dropbox" menu, I'm able to connect my Dropbox account. I then select it and see the "Searching for 1Password data in Dropbox..." message for a few seconds. Once this process appears to complete, I get the same "Error Listing Keychains" error message.

Any other thoughts/suggestions on what may be the issue?

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@awluter, @Nechama: Do you have the Dropbox app installed on your iOS device? Can you confirm that you can see the vault when signing into the Dropbox website in your browser? We won't have any insight into why Dropbox isn't telling 1Password the vaults that are available there when asked, so you may need to contact Dropbox, but this guide may help narrow down the problem:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

Let me know what you find!

• mboegem
    mboegem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, same issue here. Have 1Password installed on 3 iOS devices + MacOS, all have been syncing with dropbox for years. Lately I found out it doesn't work anymore. As per 1Password instructions I made sure I've the latest Dropbox running, disabled sync on MacOS + iOS resulting in deleting my 'old' vaults on Dropbox, setup new sync with Dropbox and I do see the newly created vaults appear on Dropbox, also via the Dropbox app on iOS.

Despite all this, I still see the "Error Listing Keychains" dialog on iOS.

Next step was to re-install 1Password on iOS, to deal with any old cache, when trying to sync with dropbox I got rid of the "Error Listing Keychains" dialog, but it won't show me a list of vaults either.

I noticed your disclaimer on the dropbox sync article that you can't give any support beyond that document, but that's a little to easy.
    Obviously something is broken, whether it's due to dropbox or 1Password, but the least I expect is for 1Password to run a similar setup and find out where things go wrong, this all seems reproducible to me, making this not so hard to debug from your side.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mboegem

...I got rid of the "Error Listing Keychains" dialog, but it won't show me a list of vaults either.

So, what happens when you start at the Welcome (new user) screen in 1Password for iOS after re-installing, and you click on the Dropbox option? What do you see?

I noticed your disclaimer on the dropbox sync article that you can't give any support beyond that document, but that's a little to easy.

The Dropbox troubleshooting page is there to give users a collection of all we've learned about using Dropbox to sync 1Password, including the kinds of things that can go wrong with it, laid out as thoroughly and simply as we can, so people can use it to help themselves figure out what might be wrong with their setup.

The disclaimer is part of that troubleshooting guide because what we've learned over time is just how different each individual's setup can be when utilizing one of our advanced, 3rd-party sync methods like Dropbox. People use cleaner apps, proxies, they have outdated versions of Dropbox (or even 1Password) installed, they have multiple Dropbox accounts -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It isn't because we don't want to help get 1Password running on everyone's device(s), it's that we noticed the amount of time it took us was quite large indeed, to troubleshoot many of these configuration issues that boiled down to a device (or network)-specific issue unique to a particular user's situation (and not a 1Password bug/issue). We wanted a way for users who knew their own systems best to take what we knew and either discover the solution to their issue, or rule out these answers and be able to narrow it down to issues related to their own specific setup.

And we also wanted to create a way to make 1Password much more dependable for users, and not so dependent upon the intricacies of interactions with third-party APIs like iCloud or Dropbox and the numerous things that can affect those APIs...so we created 1password.com.

1password.com allows us to control both ends of the equation, if you will: the on-device, in-app experience, as well as the sync and data storage end of it on the server. The result is a system which has far fewer issues on both ends of that equation, which, in turn, leaves users with more up-time and fewer problems, and that leaves us with far more time to do what most of our users say they want us to do: continue developing and advancing 1Password, incorporating new features and making it better and more useful. Syncing standalone 1Password data via advanced, 3rd party sync services continues to be a supported option, but should be thought of as geared towards the more-advanced user who prefers to do things him or herself and isn't bothered by the thought of troubleshooting his or her own device/network when things go astray.

Obviously something is broken, whether it's due to dropbox or 1Password, but the least I expect is for 1Password to run a similar setup and find out where things go wrong, this all seems reproducible to me...

I have long since switched my own usage of 1Password over to the 1password.com servers, but I do still have multiple Dropbox vaults. However, I was unable to replicate the issue you're having. I don't deny that "something is broken" with your specific setup and configuration, but

• mboegem
    mboegem
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, Thanks for your reply. After my previous reply I even got rid of Dropbox and 1Password on iOS and started from scratch.
    Unfortunately no luck and resulting in the same behaviour.
    As soon as I choose the Dropbox option in the welcome screen, 1Password is doing its access request, which all looks normal.
    Returning to the 1Password app, I see 1Password being busy trying to find whatever it needs to find in my Dropbox account, but then just ends up showing me a blank screen.
    To me it looks like it's unable to locate the folder, while there is a '.ws.agile.1Password.settings' file (hidden) which contains the location of my primary vault: 'Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault'

• Ben
    Options

1Password 6 for iOS does not use the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file. I would recommend turning OFF 1Password’s sync via Dropbox on ALL devices, delete the 1Password sync file from Dropbox, and then set up syncing fresh.

Ben

• beckham
    beckham
    Community Member
    Options

Same here
    I have done according to https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/
    However, 1password (for ios) could not sync and it said "Error Listing Keychains".
    My other device such as other PC can sync it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@beckham: Unfortunately that isn't something we have any control over. That's Dropbox telling you there are no OPVault or AgileKeychain vaults there. And without any details it's impossible for me to even make a suggestion of something else to try. Can you tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using? If your 1Password data is stored elsewhere, it may be best to remove the Dropbox app, reinstall 1Password, and give it another try.

• agileone
    agileone
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'm guessing this may be a bug related to the version of iOS you are running. I am still running on iOS 9.1 on iPhone 6 Plus -- I know it's ancient but I am loathe to update due to the myriad of potential bugs related to loss of battery life etc.

I have encountered this same 1Password bug as you describe "Error Listing Keychains" and I have taken all the recommended steps...still no luck. I'm guessing their latest app updates are buggy on earlier iOS versions because when I tried deleting and re-download the app to see if that helped, it says "Download older version of this app? The current version requires iOS 11.0 or later, but you can download the last compatible version."

Major bummer, as their product has synced flawlessly until now. I bet the product team would be able to recreate this bug when testing the app running an older iOS version such as 9 or 10...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm guessing this may be a bug related to the version of iOS you are running. I am still running on iOS 9.1 on iPhone 6 Plus -- I know it's ancient but I am loathe to update due to the myriad of potential bugs related to loss of battery life etc.

@agileone: If it's any help, I've had mostly good experiences with iOS 11. The battery stuff was a little rough around the edges with 10, but especially with 11.3 it's much better and easier to navigate too if you do have a battery problem.

I have encountered this same 1Password bug as you describe "Error Listing Keychains" and I have taken all the recommended steps...still no luck. I'm guessing their latest app updates are buggy on earlier iOS versions because when I tried deleting and re-download the app to see if that helped, it says "Download older version of this app? The current version requires iOS 11.0 or later, but you can download the last compatible version." Major bummer, as their product has synced flawlessly until now. I bet the product team would be able to recreate this bug when testing the app running an older iOS version such as 9 or 10...

I'm sorry you're having this issue, but in practice this issue with Dropbox did not exist back when iOS 9 and 10 were current. They've changed a lot over just the past year. Given that Apple no longer supports those versions of iOS (not sure about the status of the Dropbox app, but APIs are a different issue) it may be time to update — not only for 1Password but because there are a lot of important security improvements you're missing out on using an outdated OS and browser too. :(

• agileone
    agileone
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Blaming the issue on Dropbox is an easy out. And it's not accurate. It's possible that dropbox was the source of a sync issue in the past, but for this latest problem in 2018 connecting to the 1Password vault with Dropbox, in my experience that is not the case.

If you were interested in getting to the root of the problem and solving issues for users, you might try troubleshooting by using your product on iOS 9 or 10. And lo and behold, you would likely encounter this same Dropbox vault issue. Then you could stop blaming Dropbox and simply tell users they must upgrade to iOS 11.

I updated my iOS to 11.3 and now the 1Password iOS app finds the vault in Dropbox just fine. If my experience is any indication, the answer to this problem of 1Password not being able to sync/connect to a vault in Dropbox is that the 1Password app no longer supports iOS 9 or 10. That is the straightforward and accurate answer.

• Ben
    Options

We can’t recommend using older versions of iOS, so yes, our recommendation would always be to use the latest version of iOS.

Ben

• macke
    macke
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running iOS 9.3.5 on my iPad Mini 2 with the latest Dropbox version (updated very recently) and the latest compatible 1Password app. I have no problem with Dropbox syncing in 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macke - thanks for your feedback. Indeed, you're correct -- Dropbox sync should work quite well on iOS 9.x -- but Ben is also correct when he says that, as a security company, it's essentially malpractice for us to do anything other than recommend that users upgrade to the latest versions of both our own software and the OS on which they run it. Thanks for letting us know your iOS 9.3.5 setup works fine with Dropbox sync in 1Password! :)

• akalata
    akalata
    Community Member
    Options

For me, this issue was being caused by 1password not being allowed to use cellular data (it needs to be enabled under iOS settings).

• Thanks for the update @akalata. Indeed, if 1Password can’t connect to the internet it isn’t going to be able to sync with Dropbox very well. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.