Finding vaults after move to new MAC

Options
jgr5056
jgr5056
Community Member

I had to move to a new MAC after a failure. My primary vault has come over, but I had two other vaults. I do have backups from the old MAC. Are the vaults stored in a particular directory on the MAC?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jgr5056

Were you syncing these vaults with iCloud or Dropbox? Please let us know.

Ben

• jgr5056
    jgr5056
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I was syncing with iCloud because it was on my phone, but I do not see the vaults there either.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018
    Options

@jgr5056 - A couple of things: iCloud sync only allows you to sync your Primary vault (the default vault that's created when you first start using 1Password). If you had multiple vaults, they were either synced by a different method, or not syncing. However, you wouldn't see even your Primary vault in iCloud Drive, because the sync technology is CloudKit, which does not appear to the user as a visible file in iCloud Drive.

All of that said, you should be able to find your vaults right where you left them, and you should also have the backups that were made automatically by 1Password for Mac on your previous Mac. Those would be located here:

• Mac App Store version of 1Password - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/
    • AgileBits version of 1Password - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Look at the files in the proper location, and let us know whether there are recent backups available (in other word, the data is not too old).

Also, on your iPhone, please visit Settings > Sync and look at each vault in turn, to see what method of sync you were (are) using there. Let us know what you discover!

• jgr5056
    jgr5056
    Community Member
    Options

I have a backup file, now what do I do with it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgr5056: It depends on what "backup file" you have. Can you tell me the filename, and the OS and 1Password versions you're using? Thanks!

• jgr5056
    jgr5056
    Community Member
    Options

File name is - 1Password 2018-03-30 06_15_27 (2 profiles, 269 items, 10 folders, 8 attachments).1p4_zip - iPassword version 6.8.8 (688001) from App Store - Mac OS version 10.13.4 (17E202)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgr5056 - OK. That's a backup file from (as it says) March 30. Are you comfortable restoring that one? If you haven't had too many changes in your actual data (additions, deletions, etc), then this might be fine. If you have, then you might want to see whether you have any newer backups than that. They'll all be dated the same way. Or was 4/1 around the time you switched to the new Mac?

If you're OK with this file, let us know and we'll tell you how to restore it.

• jgr5056
    jgr5056
    Community Member
    Options

I have not made many changes since then and I am fine restoring.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgr5056 - Excellent! That gets rid of the potential for data loss via changes since the last backup. First, on your iPhone, make sure you don't have any 1Password data there that's new or changed recently. Presuming that's the case, visit Settings > Advanced > Erase all 1Password Data. This will do just that, then it will quit 1Password. We'll come back to this in a while.

Next, here's how to go about restoring that backup on your Mac:

1. Bring the backup file you mentioned above onto the new Mac - however you want is fine: USB flash drive, burn to disc, whatever. I'd just recommend you not email it. Yes, it's encrypted, but why send it as a file attachment if you don't have to.
    2. Open 1Password on your new Mac and visit Preferences > Backup.
    3. Click "Find Backup." A navigation window will open.
    4. Find the backup you brought, select it and click "Add Backup." This will import the backup into 1Password's library file from where it can be restored (you'll also see it in the list of available backups).
    5. Select the backup you just imported in the list in Preferences > Backup and click "Restore."

Once this is done, have a look at how your data is being synced, then let us know what that is.

This discussion has been closed.