Can I sync w iCloud on my MacBooks, dual-sync w iCloud/Dropbox on iPhone, & only Dropbox on PC?

ran1020
ran1020
Community Member

I want this overly complicated solution because I'm tired of wasting resources on my Macs for Dropbox, which I only use to sync 1Password, all because I need 1Password on my PC but you can't use iCloud to sync 1Password on a PC. I know, I could get a 1Password account, but it costs money, and the Dropbox or iCloud method is free. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ran1020
    ran1020
    Community Member

Just a comment for @Lars - I actually prefer to use Dropbox not because I need any extra configuration options but because it's free, whereas a 1Password account costs money. I would much prefer to use a 1Password account, especially since I hate wasting resources on my MacBooks with Dropbox (I have a PC that needs syncing so I can't use iCloud), but it's tough for me to justify a monthly fee when free is the way I've always done it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Welcome to the forum, @ran1020! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts with us. :) I certainly hear you regarding "free." Who doesn't like free? My only concern is that you're mistaking "no subscription fee" for "free." While it's definitely true Dropbox offers a free tier that has been extensively tested to work well as the sync engine for 1Password across multiple platforms, just using Dropbox instead of a 1password.com account doesn't mean it's "free," unless you use 1Password only on iOS or Android devices, where the basic version remains free to download and use.

If you're a Mac user, you've enjoyed several years of free upgrades that are frankly unprecedented and also are drawing to a close. The upcoming 1Password 7 for Mac (already in beta now!) will cost $64.95 for a single-user license, as will the upcoming 1Password 7 for Windows. Future versions will require additional purchases as well. Why? Because as much as we like the overall concept of "free," a hundred people here at AgileBits spend a great deal of time and energy making 1Password for you, and they enjoy food and housing and in some cases an excess of Legos (not naming any names here cough Shiner cough 😉).

I'm getting a little off-track here, but the point is that although using Dropbox sync in 1Password has no additional cost either from us or from Dropbox themselves, 1Password is a commercial product and if you use it, especially across multiple platforms, there will be a cost associated with it. How you choose to structure that cost is of course up to you, which is one of the reasons we give you choices. But did you know that in addition to the sync engine and iterative backups, every 1password.com membership includes all four of our native applications, including all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain the membership? That's one of the main attractions, in fact: no licenses to maintain, upgrades to various platforms to pay for at various times, license keys to lose or forget, etc. When a new version comes out, just download, install, and go about your day!

What's the cost comparison between a 1password.com membership and purchasing standalone licenses? It really varies, depending on whether it's just you (vs. a whole family who all want 1Password security), and also depending on how many different platforms you want to use 1Password on. If you've got a family of four or five who all use multiple devices/platforms, a 1Password Families membership will definitely be less expensive for you. If it's just you and you're a single-platform person, it will be much closer to a wash, depending on how quickly new versions are released. But regardless of the minutiae of the dollars and cents, the many advantages of a membership make it the clear winner, in my estimation. Just some food for thought. :)

• Hi @ran1020,

A single vault can not be synced via multiple sync options. If you want cross-platform sync that doesn’t involve Dropbox the only supported solution would be 1Password membership. If cost is the barrier please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com with your receipts for any 1Password purchases you’ve made to see how they can help.

Thanks.

Ben

• ran1020
    ran1020
    Community Member

Thank you @Lars for the reply - I actually started realizing what you are saying about license cost vs subscription a while after I wrote the post, and it's true that the subscription might turn out to be less in the long run, especially since my wife and I share and use just one vault. I've been using 1Password for maybe 3 or 4 years by the way and it's still unparalleled in what it does. I guess right now the Dropbox solution is free for me, but when it's time to upgrade it won't make sense to keep purchasing licenses (and it'll be easier). Since I'm an old-ish school computer user, I feel more comfortable purchasing software as a one-off rather than a subscription, which is probably unwarranted. I hate that Adobe went subscription. But then again in the case of the Adobe suit, I use them on and off, so it feels like I'm paying for stuff when I don't use it, whereas I use 1Password almost literally every day (and the cost is pretty tiny). Anyway thanks for the response.

Also thank you @Ben for the response. Good to know. It's not necessarily that it's a crazy amount to pay - more so that it's always hard to justify paying for something that is also offered free, but as I said above I guess that's not quite true. Anyway thanks for the great product. :)

• I hear you about the cost of subscriptions, especially ones that aren’t used every day. For me I use 1Password all the time, and so it brings a fair amount of value to me for the cost. I couldn’t justify paying a subscription fee for the Adobe suite because I might launch one of the apps a few times per month, and largely leave the rest untouched.

In any event, I hope we’ve given you some info that’ll help guide your decision both for now and in the future when future versions are released. If there is anything else we can do or if you have further questions please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.