Sync of vault between Windows 7 beta and IOS

nigel104
nigel104
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I'm currently using 1Password across my IOS systems (iPhone, iPad) and have just started using the Windows 7 beta version.
It all appeared to install OK. However, the two do not appear to now be syncing any new data (created in windows or ios).

I'm using Dropbox to store the single vault

regards
Nigel butterworth

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Nigel104,

Thanks for reporting this.

They may not be looking at the same vault. Did 1Password 7 for Windows mention about upgrading your vault to OPVault when you open the vault from Dropbox?

If yes, you would need to switch to this new OPVault in your 1Password app on the iOS device too. The problem is, it is not easy to do this if you only have the single vault that was originally AgileKeychain. To do this, you'd need to reinstall 1Password for iOS and have it use the new OPVault file directly via Dropbox.

• nigel104
    nigel104
    Community Member

I can’t remember it prompting for an upgrade. However I now have three folders under 1Password; 1password.agilekeychain, 1password.opvault and 1password.opvault.backup

When I add a new item a new file is uploaded on dropbox to the agilekeychain/data/default folder. However, when I then force a sync on my iPhone the new item isn’t there.

• @nigel104: 1Password 7 should only be able to sync to that 1password.opvault folder and I suspect it is since 1password.opvault.backup is a backup of that .opvault that only 1Password 7 will create. Agile Keychain isn't supported in 1Password 7. Let's take a step back a moment, though, and confirm where your iOS devices are syncing. Could you open and unlock 1Password on iOS, then tap Settings > Vaults > Primary > Sync Service? Under Dropbox, you'll see the sync path of your vault. I suspect it will be 1password.agilekeychain.

• nigel104
    nigel104
    Community Member

Both IOS devices are set to 1Password.agilekeychain and are syncing fine. Does this mean that when I loaded 1Password 7 it ‘imported’ my Dropbox vault but can’t then write to it?

• @nigel104: On the contrary, I'd wager it is writing to the proper file, the OPVault. It cannot write to AgileKeychain, as you note, so I'd more readily believe the notifications you're seeing from Dropbox about that AgileKeychain are changes coming from iOS. 1Password 7 converts your AgileKeychain to OPVault as part of that import process.

Since it sounds like you've made some changes on both iOS and Windows since switching to 1Password 7, I'd make a backup from one of your iOS devices, switch them both to sync to the OPVault folder on Dropbox and I'd put money on everything syncing happily from there. Do give it a check by making a change on each device, though, just in case. :+1:

• nigel104
    nigel104
    Community Member

All sorted - thanks for you help :) . All my devices are now pointing to the OPVault and updating/syncing OK
    I did have one problem in creating my backup - after I created my backup within 1Password, I connected my phone in iTunes, went to File Sharing. However, I could not get the backup folder off - either by dragging to my PC or by right clicking. I know this may be an Apple issue but is this something you've encountered?

• Hi @nigel104,

This is a known limitation on Windows, the iTunes app doesn't support folders. You can't click the folder and press Save to?

• nigel104
    nigel104
    Community Member

There is no save option; either via right click or the menus.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Ok, they may have changed the design in recent iTunes updates, we'll look into it and see if we can find a solution. We'll update the article as well.

This discussion has been closed.