Snubbed by Mashable?

lonevvolf
lonevvolf
Community Member

I was shocked to read the following article from Mashable:
https://mashable.com/2018/04/19/best-password-managers
where 1Password is not even mentioned? I know that the market is getting filled with competition, but what is the deal here? Also, maybe it's the terrible layout of the page, but why can't I comment on articles anymore? Not sure what I want here, but I was just really surprised that they are getting snubbed like this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Mashable might not be very reliable as a source for software reviews:

Heads up: All products featured here are selected by Mashable's commerce team and meet our rigorous standards for awesomeness. If you buy something, Mashable may earn an affiliate commission.

• lonevvolf
    lonevvolf
    Community Member

Yeah, this is exactly what I was looking for. Of course, I couldn't find it in that mess of a site. Unsubscribing from them now.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

I used to have mashable in my Feedly. Then I realized it was all a tabloid and sensational articles that repeated everything my other tech sources said just in a less technical way haha!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@jadchaar I feel the same way about Mashable. I don’t read them as much at all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Honestly, this is just sort of the state of things nowadays. I can't blame websites for trying to maintain revenue, so a lot of what's out there is paid content. I just wish it was more obvious to us as readers/viewers that this is what's going on. I know people occasionally ask for an affiliate program for 1Password, and it seems like a good idea in many ways, but the downside is that it unfortunately ends up like this more often than not, as everyone competes for clicks. :(

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty

Honestly, this is just sort of the state of things nowadays. I can't blame websites for trying to maintain revenue, so a lot of what's out there is paid content. I just wish it was more obvious to us as readers/viewers that this is what's going on. I know people occasionally ask for an affiliate program for 1Password, and it seems like a good idea in many ways, but the downside is that it unfortunately ends up like this more often than not, as everyone competes for clicks. :(

I see this side of it. I know I would love an affiliate program, but I see how it’s bad too.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

Newspapers would do the same thing, but it was obviously an advertising insert with a theme... full color or some kind of special. The. Visual queues just aren’t there anymore (no tactile ones, like glossy paper). Can’t remember the last time I went to that site...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I see this side of it. I know I would love an affiliate program, but I see how it’s bad too.

@prime: If we can come up with a system that helps folks like you without encouraging the bad stuff, I think we'll all be happy. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Newspapers would do the same thing, but it was obviously an advertising insert with a theme... full color or some kind of special. The. Visual queues just aren’t there anymore (no tactile ones, like glossy paper). Can’t remember the last time I went to that site...

@AlwaysSortaCurious: I agree. I've been a nerd on the web for a long, long time, but I still find this stuff confusing and often downright misleading. For all of the benefits we enjoy nowadays with communications technology, there are some significant downsides. Gotta take the bad with the good I guess, but hopefully we can continue to move forward and solve some of these problems — both for consumers and for businesses to survive. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.