Unable to open duplicated vault

[Apologies for raising in incorrect category - ll the others were greyed out!]

My vault was not syncing correctly between Windows and iOS using Dropbox. Following instructions to force it to sync I renamed the vault file. This has created a new vault file with a different name but has reverted to an old version before I had changed a substantial number of the passwords. I can see the file in DropBox for the second vault but it only contains the data file and nothing else. When I try to open it gives an error message saying it is not a 1Password vault and "Dropbox is probably busy syncing your 1Password vault. Please wait" This was several days ago however.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:unable to open duplicated vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Eustice: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Primarily you'll need to make sure that both devices are using the same vault. If not, they won't have the same data. It really doesn't matter which one you use, so long as it's the one with the data you want. Please follow the steps in this guide to make sure you have everything setup correctly with Dropbox on your devices:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

That way you shouldn't have any further issues once they're syncing with each other again. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Eustice
    Eustice
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for your reply.

At present both Windows and iOS are using the same vault. The problem is that it is an old version before I updated a large number of passwords. The alternative vault exists in the same Dropbox account but as soon as I try to sync it up on either device I get an error message. In Windows it’s as per my original post, on iOS the error is “The operation couldn’t be completed (com.1password.dropbox.sdk error 5)”. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Eustice,

Sorry for this ongoing troubles!

Following instructions to force it to sync I renamed the vault file. This has created a new vault file with a different name but has reverted to an old version before I had changed a substantial number of the passwords.

Could you please elaborate on what you did here? What instructions did you use?

Am I right to understand that you had had all of your data in 1Password 4 for Windows, not on your iPhone, before you renamed your vault in Dropbox? Please let me know.

Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Eustice
    Eustice
    Community Member

Hi @Greg, thanks for trying to help!

More background:
    I have been using 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password for iOS for several years. I recently changed a large number of passwords in one go in Windows and then noticed that they were not synced across to iOS, which still had the old ones.

I was following instructions to try and resolve the issues with Dropbox and got to this page when trying to use the “Move to Dropbox button - https://support.1password.com/move-to-dropbox-disabled/ (I can’t remember which help page directed me to this one unfortunately)

This page says that if a vault in Dropbox has the same name as the current vault, to rename one of them to start syncing. I did this and now have two vaults in Dropbox. The problem is that both Windows and iOS now seem to be picking up the old version which I assume has been pulled from iOS and I can’t pick up the updated version from either platform.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Eustice,

I am sorry for the confusion with the instructions.

If you have two vaults in your Dropbox, you should be able to open a second vault in 1Password 4 for Windows by going to File > Open 1Password Vault. Please note that 1Password vaults should have .agilekeychain or .opvault file extensions. Are you sure that you have two correct vaults?

Please check it on your side and let us know what you find. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Eustice
    Eustice
    Community Member

@Greg I have two folders in the 1Password folder of my Dropbox account - 1Password.agilekeychain and XXXX.agilekeychain. The folder named XXXX.agilekeychain was originally named 1Password.agilekeychain before I renamed it. After doing so, the new 1Password.agilekeychain folder was created. However, both my Windows and iOS accounts are currently linked to the XXXX vault.

I have tried opening the second vault as suggested as well as in iOS but that's when I get the error messages above.

Having looked at the contents of two folders, there is a key difference. The XXXX vault (the "live" one) contains four objects - folder called "a" and "data" and files 1Password.html and AgileKeychain.ico. The 1Password vault contains only the "data" folder which has only 27 files in - the equivalent folder in the XXXX vault has 200 files in. The number of files in the 1Password vault is approx. the number of password sI changed just before having sync problems and renaming the vault.

Any ideas?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Eustice,

Thank you for detailed feedback!

Let's try to get it the other way. Please try to open 1Password 4 on your PC and choose Backup > Restore 1Password Vault from Backup. Check the dates against the backups you have. Do you see the one that happened before you renamed your vault?

Please let me know. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.