Export 1Password logins to Keychain Access format

Options
lewpiper
lewpiper
Community Member

I should start off by saying first, I love 1Password. My intention behind this question is not to use 1Password any less than I currently use it now.

As an avid user of the application I currently have about 400 login saved. I was curious recently if I would be able to convert some of these logins over to something that would be compatible with iCloud keychain. My initial idea was there has to be a great way that you can export your data from 1Password so that it can be imported into Keychain Access.

What I have since learned is that 1Password gives you the options to export your data in either a CSV format or tabbed text document. However for whatever reason neither of these options are supported as a message to import data into keychain access. I have been unable to locate any documentation on Apple's website about proper formatting for importing data to keychain access.

It is my hypothesis that keychain access might use a proprietary format, and that when you select import, if the file is not of that format it cannot import the data.

So I guess my question is the following. Does keychain access use a proprietary format? And if it does is it possible to export login information from 1Password to this proprietary format? Or am I missing something else?

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lewpiper - It's not proprietary to Apple, if that's what you mean. We actually don't recommend simultaneous use of iCloud keychain and 1Password, but of course you're welcome to set your own system(s) up as you like. What we can't do is offer support or advice for other developers' products/services/systems. I'd be happy to help you export your data from 1Password, but what you choose to do with it - and how - after that, has to be something you undertake without our assistance. You can open a Terminal window and type man security to get a sense of what you can do, but we really can't offer any advice on that score.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@lewpiper ,

The security command does not support importing into the iCloud keychain. A local macOS keychain, yes, but not an iCloud keychain.

You have to know a lot about the requirements of a keychain to add an item to a local keychain (things like the 4 character type code, the "server" name, etc. It is not trivial.

And you certainly don't want to try to keep 1Password and your macOS keychain's in-sync - you're in for a lot of hassle and trouble... and forget about iCloud keychains altogether.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, and generally we recommend using 1Password for this stuff because it's just so much easier to deal with (and an understatement if you're using non-Apple devices at all). Apple just doesn't design Keychain to be interoperable or easy to manage, as it's a part of the OS which isn't generally interacted with by users. It serves its purpose, and I certainly use it for some things (Wi-Fi credentials, app-specific and disk image passwords, etc.), but these are use cases distinctly outside of 1Password.

• dp2
    dp2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I hope you re-evaluate your stance on the uses of the Apple Keychain, especially as we move into ios 12.

I use a combination of windows 10 pcs, macbook, ipad, iphone X etc.
    I'm getting more and more frustrated by the fact that iOS does a decent job at remembering passwords for websites, and in ios 12 for apps, but I end up with an out of date keychain password because I change it in 1password or save the updated password in a browser.
    The auto login features on the iPhone X with FaceID really make it easy to use the apple features. I find myself saving passwords into the apple keychain now more than ever.

It would be really great if you could at least export in format so we could directly import into Apple Keychain. It'd be even better if you had a function to push data from 1Password to Keychain in MacOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dp2: What stance are you referring to? :lol:

• dp2
    dp2
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

It serves its purpose, and I certainly use it for some things (Wi-Fi credentials, app-specific and disk image passwords, etc.), but these are use cases distinctly outside of 1Password.

It seem's Apple Keychain scope is widening and becoming more pervasive on MacOS / iOS devices :)

Edit: All ^ said, I think I'm starting to realise how significant the Apple imposed restrictions are on manipulating the keychain data. If that's really the case, lets hope they allow better "integration" of 1P and iOS in the future.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dp2 Have you checked out our teaser here? You might like what you see :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dp2: Indeed, while there simply is no way to import or export from the iOS Keychain, Apple is giving us a way to hook into their autofill system in iOS 12 at least. It won't help with interoperability, but it should make it easier for us to us 1Password in more places. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.