Username/password pages appearing twice

anthonyc17
anthonyc17
Community Member
edited April 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm noticing that after upgrading to this latest version of 1Password, most of website username/password login pages reload again after I enter the 1Password shortcut (command - \) the first time. For example, when I log into Facebook with 1Password, I get a message asking if I'm sure I want to leave the page. I click "Yes", then I'm presented the Facebook login page again, where I type command-\ and login a second time.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• anthonyc17
    anthonyc17
    Community Member

Ooops!! I posted this in the wrong topic. It needs to be under the Mac topic!!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @anthonyc17,

Is this Safari and do you typically use open-and-fill from a new tab when you use 1Password? I ask because there is something we've noticed in Safari recently and I'm wondering if you're seeing it as well.

• anthonyc17
    anthonyc17
    Community Member

Yes, I'm using the latest Safari using open-and-fill.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @anthonyc17,

Thank you, it is indeed very likely you're affected by what we've noticed. I don't know when it happened but at least in the latest version of Safari a check we have isn't returning the expected result and it gets the extension confused. The 1Password submit feature works by having the native 1Password application ask the operating system to act as if the user has pressed the enter key. The reason we do this is most sites will submit a sign-in form when the user presses enter on the password field which is where the extension tries to leave focus.

Now, the extension can only leave focus on the password field as long as the browser allows it and no browser will let an extension shift focus from the address bar to the page. So if focus is on the address bar that's where it stays no matter how nicely the extension asks. So we have a check to ensure that before we ask 1Password to submit that focus is indeed on the password field and nowhere else. This works in Firefox and Chrome based browsers and I believe it worked in Safari in the past as well. At the moment though Safari passes this check even if focus is on the address bar. 1Password asks the operating system to act as if the user has pressed the enter key. We all know what happens if you press enter key on the address bar though, it loads the current URL (which is why we check to not do this).

For the moment, if you use open-and-fill on an empty tab you'll want to shift focus off of the address bar, clicking anywhere should do it. Once 1Password loads the page Safari defaults to focus on the page and submit will work. Not great but it works around the issue. You can also use open-and-fill from a already loaded page. So if you have Amazon open in the current tab but want to sign into a Google account just search 1Password mini for your Google account and select it; 1Password understands that as you can't fill the Amazon page with a Google Login item it opens a new tab and loads the default URL. This skips the focus on the address bar in an empty tab.

Does this fit with what you're seeing and does it help?

• anthonyc17
    anthonyc17
    Community Member

Ahhh!!! Seems that the scenario above is exactly the case!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully understanding why it is happening makes it a bit easier to cope with as well as the two possible workarounds. It might take a bit of investigating to figure out if there is another approach we can use or if we need to ask Apple about this.

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member

Hi, this might be an issue with Safari, I cannot yet tell; but the symptoms are this:

1. Launch 1P (v 6.8.8), select any secure login and try it (in Mac OS 10.13.4, Safari v11.1 using 1P extension v 4.7.0).
    2. Safari will open the page up; but upon attempted filling in of credentials, will have the page refresh, wiping out the credentials.
    3. I go back to 1P and attempt the log in again, and 2 out of 3 times, the second attempt works.

The issue is, this has only started happening with the recent release of Mac OS 10.13.4.

Note, I have manually confirmed that all sites I have tested this with (my bank (Royal Bank of Canada), Facebook, my gas and electric utilities and my Telco (Telus)) are correctly using their proper login pages (no unicode issues with similar looking site names (thank you Security Now for teaching me that). Also, I have rebooted post the OS upgrade, so it wouldn't seem to be mis-match with old vs new extension of the OS vs 1P...

Any one else have this issue? Anyone have a solution?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
    Extension Version: 4.7.0
    OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BlackMacX: That's really interesting, as I've only ever seen an issue like this with Chrome. Are you having the same issue there, or in another browser? And, to be clear, are you opening a login from the 1Password browser extension, or from the app? Let me know what you find!

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

I haven't tried it in other browsers than Safari. I will; but the issue seems to only happen (thanks for the suggested testing mechanism) when I launch from within 1Password (the application) itself, not from the 1Password browser extension I have installed for Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BlackMacX: Thanks for clarifying. I'm not seeing any issues with that here on 10.13.4 myself, so I'm really curious to hear if the issue is present for you in other browsers too. Let me know! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@BlackMacX: It turns out there's an answer to this. I've merged you with another discussion on the topic. You shouldn't see the same problem in other browsers (but let me know if you do!) because this is due to a change in Safari 11.1. There are a couple of workarounds that may help you:

• Click somewhere in the window before using open-and-fill on an empty tab to shift focus off of the address bar. Once 1Password loads the page Safari defaults to focus on the page and submit will work.
    • Use open-and-fill from a already loaded page. So if you have Amazon open in the current tab but want to sign into a Google account just search 1Password mini for your Google account and select it; 1Password understands that as you can't fill the Amazon page with a Google Login item it opens a new tab and loads the default URL. This skips the focus on the address bar in an empty tab.

Let me know if that helps!

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#156

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Thank you for the extra information. I have just confirmed the issue (as you noted) only happens with the current V 11.1 of Safari and no Chrome (which I have installed as a fall-back browser).

Thank you. I still prefer to use Safari as my primary browser; but until this issue is resolved, I'll have to use Chrome or maybe FireFox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BlackMacX: You're welcome! Did you try the workarounds suggested above though? No harm in using Chrome or Firefox. They're both great browsers. But you don't have to. :)

• TWSheppard
    TWSheppard
    Community Member

I too was experiencing this problem on every web site, and clicking on the page prior to asking 1Password to open and fill works. Thanks for the workaround.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Not great but at least there is a workaround to this behaviour :smile:

This discussion has been closed.