Mac Version no longer accepting master password

Options
donnafreer
donnafreer
Community Member

The 1password version (6.8.8) on my mac has recent updates to passwords but it hasn't synced with my iPhone 1password. But the Mac version out of the blue stopped accepting the master password although it still works on the iPhone. I'm concerned that the passwords stored on my Mac be the one saved. I did the troubleshooting stuff and sent it to you.

What do I do?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: not sure. Maybe iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:no syncing of 1password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@donnafreer: Just to clarify, are the passwords you have saved on your Mac different from what's on your iPhone? (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access on the Mac again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password. Please let me know how it turns out. Either way, it sounds like you have a few different options. :)

• donnafreer
    donnafreer
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Brent, the passwords on my mac may be a day or two more current because I don't believe they were syncing.

I'm not part of a 1Password Family or Team.

Question, can I initiate a save on the mac 1password even though I can't log in so that the more uptodate collection of passwords can be later accessed by my iPhone and perhaps restored to a new Mac account.

The odd thing is is that 1password has had my one Master Password since 2014. So what happened? Why is it no longer accepted. I entered it into a text program and then cut and paste it to see if there was a problem. Why the sudden nonacceptance? Any idea? This is so frustrating.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@donnafreer: The best two options are the ones I outlines above then:

While it's impossible to say for certain, 1Password doesn't care what your Master Password is. That is to say, it doesn't have it saved somewhere and compare it to what you type. Rather, the data is encrypted using the Master Password as an input, and similarly it can only be decrypted using that same input. So if that is legitimately not working now, it's likely because the data is damaged or corrupt. It's worth it to boot the Mac into Recovery mode to do First Aid using Disk Utility, though that will only repair filesystem issues, not fix it if the disk itself is failing. Do you have a backup of all of your data in Time Machine or something? :(

This discussion has been closed.