1Password continually asking for authorisation, very annnoying

Options
ianjones
ianjones
Community Member

Since last update 1Password continually asking for authorisation each time safari is booted up. Authorises OK then requests again.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password continually asking for authorisation, very annnoying

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ianjones

Could you please install the latest version of 1Password (v6.8.8 as of writing) and see if this issue persists there? If it does, a few questions, please:

1. Are you resetting Safari after each use (Safari > Clear History)?
    2. What extensions, other than 1Password, do you have installed in Safari?
    3. Do you have any software installed that “cleans up” Safari?

Thanks.

Ben

• Colins2
    Colins2
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'd like to add to this thread:
    I have the same issue (v6.8.8) and although I don't really mind the authentication, my gripe is that I cannot follow links any more.
    When I click a link in a newsletter, for example, all I get is the authorisation window and then straight to the tutorial video.
    My link has gone. If you must have the authorise window then as soon as it is authorised make it disappear and give me my link.

Also, in answer to the questions you asked, I don't clear history, other extensions are Evernote, Pushbullet and Flash but they are not new installations. I do have Ccleaner installed but it doesn't clean automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Colins2: The thing is, authorization only happens the first time*, so repeated authorization isn't something we're going to design around.

*So the real issue is that something is interfering with Safari saving or accessing the authorization state, or flat out deleting it. We just don't have any way of knowing what that could be on your system; only you could possibly know, whether it's something you're doing yourself, or some software you've installed that is. It's possible that Safari itself is damaged, but that's fairly rare. Repeated Safari authorization is system specific, and there are three causes, all of which are outside of 1Password's control:

• You’re actiively doing something to reset/clear Safari.* 3rd party software or extension interfering: If Safari is being prevented from accessing its saved authorization, it will be required again. That could be because software prevents Safari from saving it, deletes it, or blocks it from finding it.
    • Safari is broken: In rare cases, Safari itself is at the cause, as it simply isn't saving the authorization in the first place. In that case, there will be no way of it restoring the session with 1Password next time.

By far the most common cause is "adblock" software of some kind, so if you're using anything like that it's a good place to start looking. So long as the authorization can be saved the first time and read subsequent times, it won't be necessary to do it over again.

It’s possible, though, that simply removing the extension, restarting your Mac, and installing a fresh copy will help. Let me know what you find.

• Colins2
    Colins2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

Uninstalling the extension and then re-installing did the trick thanks.
    Yesterday, I tried to install StrongVPN without much success - wouldn't accept passwords.
    I wonder if that had some effect?
    I will try to install it again and see if it affects 1Password and let you know.

• Colins2
    Colins2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Benty,

It seems that StrongVPN was the culprit. I re-installed it and the plug-in stopped working again, along with a few other things unrelated to 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Colins2: Thanks so much for letting me know! That's a new one to me: VPN software interfering with Safari's authorization. It may help others who run into a similar issue. I appreciate the update!

• Colins2
    Colins2
    Community Member
    Options

@Benty
    After discussion with StrongVPN, they sent me the latest Mac build for their client and it installed and ran fine. It does not now interfere with any of my other installed software including the 1Password plugin. Hopefully they will update their download link now.

• Ben
    Options

That is excellent news. :) Thanks for sharing.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.