Vivaldi : refused connection attempt (current beta)

philstopford
philstopford
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Vivaldi version 1.15.1147.32 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The 1Password 7 beta doesn't seem to want to cooperate, and doesn't permit an override to recognize the browser. I've reinstalled the browser extension, but that doesn't help. I tried the '1Password X Beta' extension, but that seems intended for a 1Password account.

Suggestions are welcome.

1Password Version: 7.0.753
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Win 10 Pro
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@philstopford: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! (Un)fortunately, I'm not able to reproduce the issue you're having here. Vivaldi works just fine, and 1Password still has its code signature whitelisted. So either it's been damaged or modified on your system, or something else is preventing 1Password from validating it. Do you have "security" software which might be interfering? 1Password isn't going to "recognize" the browser and connect to it if its identity cannot be verified.

• philstopford
    philstopford
    Community Member

Ahah. I do have a strict firewall whitelist in place. It wasn't an issue with the 1Password 4 system, but since you gave me the idea to check this, I enabled communication for 1Password 7 and it seems now to be happy. Thanks for that - I guess the mechanism changed. Might it be worth adding some additional guidance in the UI?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@philstopford: Glad that you were able to get it working by allowing 1Password to connect to the browser. Can you tall me what kind of "guidance" you had in mind? I'm not clear on exactly what what being blocked, why, or what you changed exactly to allow it, so it's hard for me to conceptualize. :)

• philstopford
    philstopford
    Community Member

I have Firewall Application Blocker installed, which sets up rules in the Windows native firewall. I have it set to block any network activity (other than on the LAN), unless the application is whitelisted. The error in the 1Password tool suggests a signing fail, and doesn't hint of any network interaction that might be subject to a security rule. I never had 1Password 4 whitelisted and yet it works/worked with the browser extensions without issue, so some aspect of the system changed with newer code.

So, it might be worth asking the user to whitelist the 1Password application in case the browser extension cannot function.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have Firewall Application Blocker installed, which sets up rules in the Windows native firewall. I have it set to block any network activity (other than on the LAN), unless the application is whitelisted.

@philstopford: Thanks for letting us know! That may help others as well.

The error in the 1Password tool suggests a signing fail, and doesn't hint of any network interaction that might be subject to a security rule. I never had 1Password 4 whitelisted and yet it works/worked with the browser extensions without issue, so some aspect of the system changed with newer code.

It's definitely not something we've changed. 1Password has worked the same for a long time. However, apart from 3rd party software interfering, it may also be that you've changed some settings within 1Password itself. Are you using Native Messaging in 1Password Settings > Advanced? But as far as 1Password giving you a "hint", that's not possible. All it knows is that it can't verify the identity; it has no way of knowing why.

So, it might be worth asking the user to whitelist the 1Password application in case the browser extension cannot function.

Honestly it rarely comes up. And people running software like this that blocks things generally are aware that they are. Ultimately it isn't something 1Password can tell you anyway, as the only thing it knows is that it cannot connect. The only one in a position to know why is the owner of the machine.

This discussion has been closed.