Sharing a vault with the standalone version

Options
mtrodgers99
mtrodgers99
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

I have been using the standalone 1Password on my Mac and IOS devices for several years. My wife's IOS devices also has the standalone apps. These apps used iCloud and my apple-id. My wife's IOS devices used my apple-id, so she was accessing the same vault as me. I recently changed my wife's IOS devices to use her apple-id. Naturally, 1Password is not synchronizing on her devices any longer.

With this current setup, can I share the 1Password vault with her?

All apps were purchased through the App Store, and have been kept up to date. My Mac version is 6.8.5 (685003); macOS High Sierra 10.13.2

Thanks.

1Password Version: Mac 6.8.5 (685003)
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
_Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• mtrodgers99
    mtrodgers99
    Community Member
    Options

Figured it out. Switching to DropBox solves this issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @mtrodgers99! Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you figure things out, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself before I got here, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not. Dropbox is indeed a wonderful solution for sync, and more flexible than iCloud because, as you've discovered, your Apple ID is supposed to be for you only, whereas Dropbox doesn't need to be.

Anyway, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great rest of your week, and thanks for being a 1Password customer!

• elnie18
    elnie18
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, despite dropbox, is there another way to share (single) items with the standalone app? In my setup I have different clients (work and home) and would like to use one vault as my primary (home) and a second vault (work) just tho share selected items (or vice versa). Cannot find an option to do so.

• Ben
    Options

There is not a secure way to do so. You’d need to share a vault when them, and then put any items you wish to share in that vault.

It is possible to email or message an item to someone (using the Share menu) but when doing so the security of the item in question depends entirely on the security of the communications channel selected. As neither emails or text messages are encrypted by default we highly recommend against doing so.

Ben

• elnie18
    elnie18
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, so I would need a 1p Account, including to switch to a monthly billed plan? Would a single user account work for my usecase?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elnie18: Either 1Password Families or 1Password Teams will work. And individual 1Password.com membership will not, since there are not multiple user accounts to share between. You can invite someone as a regular team/family member, and they'll have their own Personal/Private vault too, or invite them as a guest, so they'll have access to only a single vault you share with them. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sporkman
    sporkman
    Community Member
    Options

There used to be an html file created in the standalone version - it was basically a self-contained 1Password app you could open in a browser. Is this no longer available? Was it removed when Teams and other subscription-based plans were created?

It was a really great way to share a few logins with a non-1Password user...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There used to be an html file created in the standalone version - it was basically a self-contained 1Password app you could open in a browser. Is this no longer available?

@sporkman: It sounds like you're referring to "1PasswordAnywhere". That was a feature created about a decade ago to allow read-only access of 1Password data in Dropbox using a web browser. However, years ago browsers locked down their security and Dropbox changed their policies so this no longer worked.

Was it removed when Teams and other subscription-based plans were created?

Nope. It was removed when it no longer worked, and that was unfortunately a time before 1Password.com was available.

It was a really great way to share a few logins with a non-1Password user...

Perhaps, but that's not what it was intended for, and giving someone your Master Password and access to your account isn't something we'd ever recommend. Fortunately there's a better way now anyway.

• sporkman
    sporkman
    Community Member
    Options

I still have one around - it's outside of Dropbox and it has its own master password. I do wish there was something similar for standalone users (I know, dinosaurs, us early adopters).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I still have one around - it's outside of Dropbox and it has its own master password.

@sporkman: I don't know what this means. Can you elaborate?

I do wish there was something similar for standalone users

Well, given that there's nowhere to host it now that that does not work in Dropbox any longer, 1Password.com is the only option.

(I know, dinosaurs, us early adopters).

I dunno, I was an early adopter, and I don't feel like a dinosaur — yet. :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.