Pending confirmation is not going away

Kobes
Kobes
Community Member

I invited my girlfriend to my family account. I have gone through the steps of creating an account and everything. However, the web interface is still showing 'Pending confirmation'.
I have the confirmation email in her email box, but can not enter the 6 digit code anywhere. When I click the link to verify, it starts the registration process completely from scratch again.
From my family organiser account page I also see 'pending confirmation'.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1P Accounts (Family)

Comments

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member

Ah, it turned out that I, as the family organiser, needed to confirm the account. However, this is hardly shown anywhere (and a bit confusing if I initiated the invite, actually).

• Thanks for the update and the feedback, @Kobes.

Ben

• SecretDude
    SecretDude
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

I had the same issue. Seemed like I could do most of this through the 1P app on my computer. Finally realized I had to go sign on to the website to approve.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SecretDude: You can send, cancel, or confirm invitations from the "Invitations" page in your account though the web interface in your browser:

https://start.1password.com/invitations

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member

@brenty for what it's worth, I just had the same confusion. I upgraded to the family plan, and while setting up my partner's devices, I kept seeing the "pending confirmation" message, but wasn't looking at my email (since I wasn't near my devices). I was checking my partner's email, thinking that the email needed to be confirmed, and there would be something sent there. Turns out I was looking in the wrong place!

I'd suggest changing the message to clarify who has to do the confirming, e.g. "Your account is pending confirmation from the family organizer". That would have been my clue to check back on my account.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your feedback about this! :+1:

• alexpresland
    alexpresland
    Community Member

I had this today when adding my son to my 1Password Family account. The confirmation email had a nice blue banner saying "Confirm family member". Clicking this didn't confirm my son... I still had to go into Invitations (after reading this thread).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alexpresland:

Is everything looking good after going into the Invitations menu?

• alexpresland
    alexpresland
    Community Member

Yup, all sorted and good. It would just be better if clicking the link in the email would confirm the action.

My 10 year old uses 1Password and 2FA as part of his regular IT experience. Time to start onboarding the my 8 year old too.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alexpresland:

My 10 year old uses 1Password and 2FA as part of his regular IT experience.

That's fantastic!

Time to start onboarding the my 8 year old too.

Have fun in the process! :) And let us know if there is anything we can do to help :+1:

• patrickreiner
    patrickreiner
    Community Member

Yes, this happened to me to, quite confusing!! Please make this more user friendly.

• Thanks for the feedback, @patrickreiner. :)

Ben

• likethesky
    likethesky
    Community Member

This is silly! Why would the person who initiates the invite, need to confirm it?!

If that's for extra security, which is fine, on the page where it says, "Pending Confirmation" it should say--perhaps with a hover tip--"If you're the master user, please do 1., 2., 3. steps to confirm."

How much other users' time do you need to waste before you make this simple change to save everyone some grief, searching on the support site, etc.? (Sorry to be short, but I've been installing the Mac OS app, installing the iOS app, everything, just to see if it'll finally not say "Pending Confirmation"... then finally in exasperation, I tried searching here. Hard to believe this is what's needed. But much much harder to believe that even if it is needed, that you (still) don't tell your users when they very first add someone as a family member that they will--themselves, not the family member!--need to do this extra step.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @likethesky, I will be happy to pass it to the team for future discussion :)

• dimitri_s
    dimitri_s
    Community Member

I have to agree, unless I missed it there should be some kind of "after an invited user accepts their invitation you will have to confirm their account" notification or high visibility text. I've invited 5 users and its caused confusion and inconvenience every time because I forget the unusual 3rd step of confirmation.

What is says now next to the invite button is "After they sign up, you can confirm their account on this page." where it actually should say "After they sign up, you will need to confirm their account."

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion on the wording @dimitri_s! With regards to the reminder to confirm the account, we already send an email notification when an invited user has created their account, reminding you that you need to confirm it. You can just click on the link in the email to confirm the account :+1:

This discussion has been closed.