Locked out

newcoyote
newcoyote
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years on several iPhone with no issues accessing or transferring to upgraded phones. Several months ago there was an update I presume was to be compatible with the current iOS. I did not occur to me that there was any procedure required to go from one version of the app to the next. I update countless apps with no thought. When the original app is tapped, I get the error pop up message "1Password" needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it to work with iOS11. So I just updated. Now when I tap on the new app icon the app opens and asks for my master password. Master password? Huh? What master password? The only one I know of is the one I used for the old app but when I try that it fails. I am positive I am entering that as I would have before. I tried searching how to address this issue but could not find my specific circumstance and what I did find was absurdly complicated. I threw my hands up and gave up. ALL my passwords are now hidden and they certainly are not in my head. Please help. I have an iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11.2.6 I have no way to find out what version of either app is because I'm utterly locked out of course.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:locked out

Comments

• newcoyote
    newcoyote
    Community Member

I see the sticky now after I have posted. I'm not sure if that is what I read before but it looks familiar. I know I did not follow any migration procedures because of the above mentioned. Does that mean I'm screwed for good?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Now when I tap on the new app icon the app opens and asks for my master password. Master password? Huh? What master password? The only one I know of is the one I used for the old app but when I try that it fails. I am positive I am entering that as I would have before.

@newcoyote: 1Password will be asking for the Master Password you set it up with. We won't have any way of knowing what that would be, as you're the only one who would have ever known it. So this also isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly.

However, you seem to be making some vague references to other things:

I see the sticky now after I have posted. I'm not sure if that is what I read before but it looks familiar. I know I did not follow any migration procedures because of the above mentioned. Does that mean I'm screwed for good?

So if you can clarify what you're referring to exactly that would be appreciated, in case it makes a difference. Please let me know.

Several months ago there was an update I presume was to be compatible with the current iOS. I did not occur to me that there was any procedure required to go from one version of the app to the next. I update countless apps with no thought. When the original app is tapped, I get the error pop up message "1Password" needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it to work with iOS11. So I just updated.

This sounds like you have a completely different issue involving a very old version of 1Password though (not the current version), and updated to iOS 11 in spite of warnings from Apple (noted above) and from us in 1Password itself. There may be a way to recover the data, but it is a very involved process in that case if you've rendered the old version inoperable by upgrading to an OS which cannot run it.

But before we do anything, just to clarify, where were you accessing your 1Password data previously?

• newcoyote
    newcoyote
    Community Member

Hi Brenty. Thank you for trying to help.

1. "1Password will be asking for the Master Password you set it up with. We won't have any way of knowing what that would be, as you're the only one who would have ever known it. So this also isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again"
      As I said in my OP I do know the Master Password I set up with.
      "The only one I know of is the one I used for the old app but when I try that it fails. I am positive I am entering that as I would have before."

2. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly.
      This reply seems like either semantics or a technical wording difference. To me Locked out and cannot access amount to the same result. I enter the password I have always used and I get nothing but "NOPE"

3. "I see the sticky now after I have posted. I'm not sure if that is what I read before but it looks familiar. I know I did not follow any migration procedures because of the above mentioned. Does that mean I'm screwed for good?" This one. At the top of the forum I could'nt see until I had already posted and my question was placed in that forum.
      "If you have an old version of 1Password that won't open [legacy 32-bit apps cannot run on iOS 11]"
      How is that vague? I did not follow the complicated migration procedures because there was not ample warning "in spite of what you say" or precautions in place. Obviously, this has been a significant issue for a lot of people. Most of us have a massive cognitive load and cannot pour over the details of every update that comes along. Especially when very few require it and we are not all technically as savvy as developers.

4. "This sounds like you have a completely different issue involving a very old version of 1Password"
      I'm using the only one I ever had and again, as I said in my OP, I can't tell what version because I cannot get in it. I guess the last one previous to the problematic one because I always automatically updated (there is another argument against your "in spite of warnings" comment.
    5. "But before we do anything, just to clarify, where were you accessing your 1Password data previously?"
      My iPhone before I updated it to iOS 11 I guess.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi Brenty. Thank you for trying to help.

@newcoyote: Likewise, thanks for being patient with me here while we get on the same page. :)

As I said in my OP I do know the Master Password I set up with. "The only one I know of is the one I used for the old app but when I try that it fails. I am positive I am entering that as I would have before."

I understand that. What I'm saying is that if that Master Password isn't working for the new app, it's because you setup a different Master Password there. 1Password does set itself up. However, based on your other responses, I'm not sure this matters at all. If you don't have data in the new app that you want, we should forget about that for now and focus on the old one. But please let me know if that's not the case.

This reply seems like either semantics or a technical wording difference. To me Locked out and cannot access amount to the same result. I enter the password I have always used and I get nothing but "NOPE"

Sorry for not being clearer. "Locked out" means you cannot get in with any password, like some websites will do if you make too many wrong guesses. 1Password doesn't do that. You can always get in with the correct Master Password. But I can appreciate that you probably feel like you're "locked out" in the mean time when you're entering the wrong one. :(

This one. At the top of the forum I could'nt see until I had already posted and my question was placed in that forum. "If you have an old version of 1Password that won't open [legacy 32-bit apps cannot run on iOS 11]" How is that vague? I did not follow the complicated migration procedures because there was not ample warning "in spite of what you say" or precautions in place. Obviously, this has been a significant issue for a lot of people. Most of us have a massive cognitive load and cannot pour over the details of every update that comes along. Especially when very few require it and we are not all technically as savvy as developers.

Thanks for clarifying. What I'm saying is that prior to iOS 11, for years (since 2012) 1Password 3 has been prompting you to migrate your data to the new version. At first, this was sporadic, but last year when Apple announced that iOS 11 would drop support for 32-bit (and started prompting in the OS itself) we changed this once a week minimum (depending on the option you selected when opening the app, you could have seen it much more frequently than that even). The only way to avoid seeing these warnings from 1Password and iOS itself was to not open 1Password at all. We all get busy. I get that. But "to save your passwords and data, please upgrade now" is, I think, fairly clear. Prior to updating to iOS 11, it's typically a few short and straightforward steps, since the old version can simply transfer the data to the new one since both apps can run on iOS 9 or 10. It's after that things get trickier. On iOS 11, this is the only process for recovering data from 1Password 3, and it can indeed be difficult. I'll be happy to help you through that process in any way I can, but ultimately a lot of it will depend on you. But first...

I'm using the only one I ever had and again, as I said in my OP, I can't tell what version because I cannot get in it. I guess the last one previous to the problematic one because I always automatically updated (there is another argument against your "in spite of warnings" comment. "But before we do anything, just to clarify, where were you accessing your 1Password data previously?" My iPhone before I updated it to iOS 11 I guess.

What is the exact version of any 1Password apps you have installed? You can find this in iOS Settings > General > iPhone Storage > 1Password (same icon as #1) — it may take a minute or two for all of the apps to appear in the list. We're definitely looking for the old version first (blue icon, black key). Tap it to view its details, and then take a screenshot. But also check to see if you have another 1Password app listed there. Take a screenshot of that as well. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

That will tell me the version number(s) and also give me a sense of if there is data stored there which could be recoverable.

Finally, do you have a Mac (running Yosemite or higher) or Windows PC (running Windows 7 or higher)? If so, which do you have? http://whatsmyos.com

Thanks in advance!

• newcoyote
    newcoyote
    Community Member

I should thank you for your patience and apologise if I sound snappy. I am going to read carefully what you have written, see what I can do with it and come back. As with everyone, I have a lot on my plate but this is important to me as I have a fair bit of info I can't access.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I should thank you for your patience and apologise if I sound snappy. I am going to read carefully what you have written, see what I can do with it and come back. As with everyone, I have a lot on my plate but this is important to me as I have a fair bit of info I can't access.

@newcoyote: Absolutely. I understand completely. I apologize for being rather stubborn about all of this myself, but I've lost data in the past and wouldn't wish that on anyone, so I don't want to take any chances on yours. So I want to make sure we're on the same page each step of the way so a misunderstanding doesn't result in you not being able to recover your data. Please respond whenever it's convenient for you. I'm happy to help any time in any way I can. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.