Bug report: password strength meter very flaky in 1Password 6

M4c1ek
M4c1ek
Community Member
  • If I edit a Login and modify the password by using copy-paste, the strength shoots all the way down to minimum (a red dot on the left is all that is left); it will stay like this forever.

• If I next re-edit, and simply delete say the last char of password, then put it back, the strength meter goes to sensible value. Except then when I Save the entry, it drops down to another, intermediate strength value. If then hit Edit again, it shoots up to what it was during last Edit. Save, and it drops down again.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@M4c1ek: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the confusion. The UI has imitations so we'll be reworking it in the future, but everything you're reporting with regard to strength is expected. 1Password will treat passwords that are user-modified as much weaker because it doesn't know how they were "generated". The strength will reflect 1Password's best guess, but when you save it it will go to the reduced estimate based on the principle that humans are incapable of randomness. I agree that we should make it seem less crazy though. Thank you for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.