Migration of data failed half way through

Options
Kobes
Kobes
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I must say I am rather disappointed in the process of transferring to 1P Families with 1P7 (see also my topic in families). I am unsure where the issues come from, but so far I am completely uneasy about the state of things which is very concerning given the importance of the data managed.

While setting up 1P Families using 1P7 Beta (latest) for my girlfriend, the app offered to do the migration. This seemed fine, so I clicked yes, however the process stalled at item 60 out of 104. I had to close 1Password completely, but have no idea which 44 items are now missing. I tried to compare manually and actually, it seems only 60 items were actually in her vault, but where did the 104 come from then? I do know that there were items in her trash that did not make the transfer (which, IMO, should).
But all in all, the offer of migrating was completely unexpected, because she has more than 1 local vault, which, according to the docs, is not supported with automated migration. I was not actually planning on using it at all, but when it was offered it seemed like a nice option (yes, I do regret this).

Anybody has any idea what happened and how I can regain some confidence in the state of her data?

I do have 1P6 still installed, because it just won't disappear. I have deleted it multiple times from within launchpad, but it stays there and is not going anywhere. At the moment I am sort of happy with this, as I now have at least the old version with a state of data in it that I am pretty much sure about.
Update: it finally allowed me to move it to the trash, lets see if I have lost any data in my GF account...

What if I find out something is missing and I need access to the local vaults that I once had configured for her in the past?

1Password Version: 7 Beta9
Extension Version: 7, I guess
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kobes - I see from your other thread in Families that you figured out having to approve your girlfriend from your own account; has that helped with any of the issues you were having here?

To be clear, you should not get the option to auto-import if you have more than one vault; I'm not sure what may have happened there. Yes, trashed items will not transfer. To delete any version of 1Password, you need to visit your actual Applications folder and drag 1Password to your Mac's trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then restart your Mac.

My best suggestion for you at this point (not knowing what the state of your data was when you began vs what it is now), is for you or your girlfriend to look over what's in her current 1Password 7 for Mac vault(s), and check to be sure there's nothing missing. If it seems to you like there is missing information, you can always empty out the 1password.com account vaults from within 1Password for Mac, then restore to a previous backup of the standalone data (just prior to the last time you attempted this migration), and do the migration a second time. Let us know if you a) think you need to do that, and b) need any further instructions. I can't be certain, but it sounds as if you won't need to do this.

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

account approval

That has been sorted, but is not really related to this issue.

No-migrate if more that one vault

Don't know what happened either. Maybe 1P7 only found a single vault, but that does not really explain how 1P7 did get the count of items kind of right when summing everything.

Deleting by moving to trash for the app

I tried that (or actually through launchpad, as I had the App Store version installed, which is easier removed that way), but it simply would not go anywhere. However, this has now been fixed also.

Trashed items do not transfer

I now understand this a bit better. But I am unsure how 1P handles the count if items to migrate. It 'correctly' reported 104 items in total. Which is a sum of active items + trash items + secondary vault items. It got stuck after transferring 60 items (60 is exactly the number of items she had in her primary vault).
    So, I think the migration assistant got initiated while it should not have been and then could only move the items it is supposed to (primary vault), but then got stuck on an unsupported flow.

I think this might be an actual bug in some way, but I don't really know how to reproduce, so that makes it hard to fix for you guys. I will try mess around a bit with a non-production database later if I can find the time. Until then, I am fine with you putting it to rest.

look over what's in her current 1Password 7

That is what I did, with 60 items it was pretty doable. It seems good enough now.

Thanks for the elaborate explanation on how to re-try the migration. I think I won't need it right now, but it might be useful trying to reproduce the situation.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kobes - OK, great - thanks for the update, and I'm glad to hear things seem pretty stable to you right now. I can't be certain what may have happened, and if you are willing/able to reproduce it, we'd certainly be interested in reproducible steps, but for now I'm satisfied as long as you and your girlfriend's data is a) complete and b) where you want it to be.

This discussion has been closed.