To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Personal vs Family subscription question

Monque
Monque
Community Member

Greetings,

Seamless sync is a feature which is mentioned on your Families page https://1password.com/families/ as an additional feature which is not available on the Personal subscription, but it isnt very clear what this feature actually is, how it works and what the difference is from the sync feature that is described on the Why Membership page https://support.1password.com/why-membership/, which states that No matter which membership you choose, you get to: Sync and backup automatically without any additional setup.

Do you have some additional information around the "Seamless sync" sync feature which comes with the Family subscription and what additional service it provides over the Personal subscription?

This would really help me to better understand whether I need a Personal or a Family subscription.

Thanks very much!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Monque: Sync works the same regardless of which 1Password.com membership plan you choose — individual, family, team, business — and its description is really rather mundane: you simply sign into your account on each device to access your data. Everything syncs automatically because the server handles it; there's no configuration involved and it "just works". I think you got a bit confused because you're thinking of the standalone 1Password app as a "personal" subscription, but it's not a subscription at all; and in that case you'd have to sync the data yourself. With 1Password.com, everything is included — all the apps, the web interface, and more — and 1Password Families is a way to share those benefits with your loved ones as well. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Monque
    Monque
    Community Member

Hello @brenty,

Thanks very much for your reply. I am not sure I got confused with the 1Password app - I didnt even know that exists :)
    I think what confused me is the Sign-Up page shows the list of features wich all 1Password accounts include, but it didnt list any kind of "sync" feature.

Whereas the Families page explicitly mentions a "Seamless Sync" feature, thus I thought this feature is something specific and only available with the Families subscription. That's not true - correct?

So, whatever subscription I choose the sync feature is always included!?

One more question - it may sound strange, but I think nowadays that we store many of our information online, it is something that we should think about and consider for our future.

Let's assume I choose a Personal subscription.
    What happens in case I am no longer around one day. Is it possible to inherit my subscription/access to a family member upon my demise, i.e. can I set up an order with 1Password that a person can get access to my account when s/he presented the death certificate?

Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Monque

So, whatever subscription I choose the sync feature is always included!?

Yes. 1password.com sync is included with every membership, whether it's an individual account, 1Password Families or one of our Teams or Business offerings.

What happens in case I am no longer around one day. Is it possible to inherit my subscription/access to a family member upon my demise

Not currently, no. We're looking into ways we can securely manage the "digital legacy" question, but so far I've nothing to announce on that score. However, there are ways to manage that on your own: you can keep your Emergency Kit in a safety-deposit box and leave the key with a lawyer or other intermediary for safekeeping; there are similar strategies you can employ in the non-digital realm. If you're a member of a 1Password Families account, it becomes much easier to recover your account as long as one of the other family members is also a Family Organizer. If they have access to your email account as well, they could recover your account in the event of your untimely demise.

This discussion has been closed.