How do I make sure that my 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 Beta are both syncing to the same vault?

leeale
leeale
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

How do I make sure that my 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 Beta are both syncing to the same vault?

1Password Version: 7.0.543
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I make sure that my 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 Beta are both syncing to the same vault?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @leeale,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 4

Go to the 1Password menu > Reopen 1Password vault, it'll have a checkmark next to the current vault you're using in 1Password 4. Note its directory path in your Dropbox folder.

1Password 7

Unlock 1Password 7, click on the vault selector on top left right below 1Password menu and then either right-click or click on *** to hover over Reveal in Explorer to see its path or select that option to see it in File Explorer.

Make sure they both are pointing to the same OPvault folder.

• leeale
    leeale
    Community Member

Thanks for the speedy response. In 1Password7, when I click on the 1Password menu, I see new vault on this PC or open vault on this PC. If I try to open vault on the PC and try to select the same vault that I am using in 1Password4, which is 1Password.agilekeychain perhaps since I originally had an Imac, I get the following:
    1Password cannot upgrade this vault to OPVault due to an existing folder with the same vault name. Rename or move.....

In my Dropbox, I also see 1Password.opvault and the same backup????

• Hi @leeale,

Don't click on the 1Password menu, click on the vault selector below it:

In my Dropbox, I also see 1Password.opvault and the same backup????

That's the file you want to open, we only support OPVault in 1Password 7. Both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 for macOS will support reading that OPVault folder.

• leeale
    leeale
    Community Member

Gotcha. So should I point my 1Password4 vault to the OPVault folder that 1Password 7 points to? Will that have all of my original info that was in the 1Password.agilekeychain vault in Dropbox?

• Hi @leeale,

Yes, have 1Password 4 point to the OPVault folder instead and yes, it'll have all of your items from the original AgileKeychain folder.

• leeale
    leeale
    Community Member

Perfect. Awesome service. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

• You're welcome!

• MentalPower
    MentalPower
    Community Member

Does the iOS app need to do anything?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MentalPower: If you are syncing with an AgileKeychain vault in 1Password for iOS, you'll need to disable that and select the same OPVault you're using in 1Password for Windows there as well, so they're both using the same vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• MentalPower
    MentalPower
    Community Member

Yep, that worked after a scary-looking warning about "these vaults are not the same". Lastly, how do I swap which vault the windows app uses as its primary (aka, the one it pulls the master password from)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep, that worked after a scary-looking warning about "these vaults are not the same".

@MentalPower: Indeed, we want to make sure people aren't accidentally merging data they want to keep separate.

Lastly, how do I swap which vault the windows app uses as its primary (aka, the one it pulls the master password from)?

There isn't a way to swap vaults, but if you reset the app you can set it up with vaults in the order you prefer. Cheers! :)

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Is there a walkthrough that shows how to move the iOS version from an AgileKeychain vault to the new OPVault? I can't see where to drop, unless it's Vaults / Primary / Sync / Disable Sync? (I'm not inclined to go randomly trying things when it comes to pwd management).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Greig: We don't have guides written with prerelease software in mind. Those will be forthcoming once 1Password 7 is finished. But it's fairly straightforward: disable sync for that vault, and when you enable it again select the new OPVault you're using now on your other devices. Cheers! :)

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. I hit a "Vault Discrepancy" but decided I didn't want to merge the two as the Opvault has all the latest changes. Having followed your link to Reset the App, now I see i can't reinstate iOS access without committing to a subscription. Now I must say I'm happy to pay for 1P, but just now a bit irate that I've been thrown there while in the process of trying to re-sync my devices.

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

HURRAH! I'm back on-line (and with the correct vault), but not before committing to a monthly subscription I now need to figure out how to cancel until 1P v7 is properly launched and I can cover all my devices.

This is a lovely graphic but a terrible UI: there's nothing to suggest if I swipe up I'll get to any other options!

This is an iPhone 6s BTW, and a screen-grab of the whole phone.

• Greig.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Greig: Indeed, sorry for the confusion there. Apple's scrollbars are invisible until you start scrolling, and that's tripped me up at times too. :blush:

Anyway, if you've subscribed through Apple, you can cancel through your Apple ID account settings:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

If you setup billing through the website, you can also cancel there:

https://start.1password.com/billing

Also, even if you cancel (or simply don't subscribe), you'll still have access to the account. It will just be frozen and read-only.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty , subscription reverted ok.

It still looks to me like the design is deliberately intended to lure a user into subscribing. It's the ONLY option presented when I first launch the app. There's no hint of any alternatives. I guess I should start a fresh thread for that as I've accidentally hijacked this one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @brenty , subscription reverted ok.

@Greig: :) :+1:

It still looks to me like the design is deliberately intended to lure a user into subscribing.

It's definitely not. But it isn't our first pass at the first run setup, and I'm sure it won't be our last.

It's the ONLY option presented when I first launch the app. There's no hint of any alternatives.

I go through this a lot myself, and I know many others do too. If there were really no options, we'd be hearing from a lot more people because they were unable to sync their existing data from Dropbox or iCloud, or create a new standalone vault. There are options for all of these.

I guess I should start a fresh thread for that as I've accidentally hijacked this one.

No worries. I'll pass your feedback onto the team. It's something we'll look into more once the Mac version ships. :)

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

Can we remove this folder 1Password.agilekeychain from Dropbox after switching to 1Password.opvault?

• Hi @kurtd,

Thanks for writing in.

You can move it from Dropbox to a different location, yes. However, I would not recommend deleting/archiving it until after we release 1Password 7 for Windows first. It is still a beta product, so you'll want to keep it for now.

This discussion has been closed.