Migrating to 1Password account (family)

Options
Kobes
Kobes
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

While migrating to 1P family in the process of installing the Beta of 7 a couple of issues appeared.

• 1P7 started nagging about the 'upgrade' (I confess, I did not immediately go through the steps, 1P7 had been installed for some days) exactly while being in the process of adding an account. Which forced me to re-type my password and it is just annoying to have an app begging for money, just after you 'gave' it. I do understand this is a bit of an edge case and maybe tough to fix. But everything else in 1P has been very polished for years, so I guess you might want to fix this (but not very soon).
  • Once you dismiss the 1P account way of paying for the beta there is no way (I could find) to get back to that flow. I first thought about a one time payment, but after clicking that changed my mind. Unfortunately there was no way to get back the original screen where I could start the migration.
  • I found the secret key screen confusing, while being very much into security (I wrote white papers on usage of LUKS volumes and their security properties for an online service). Why present it if I don't need to save it?
  • I think there is a bug in the calculation of charge per month. My country charges 21% VAT, which gives 4.99 * 1.21 = 6.04 per month. However, 6.4 was presented. I think I kinda know why this happens (I encountered exactly the same problem in my job once), the cents are marked up differently in the HTML, so they are rendered separately. However, computers think of 04 being identical to 4, so they strip the leading 0('s). Convert to string before splitting and you should be pretty much good to go (but still code wise it is horribly annoying if you ask me :) ) This is on the creditcard entry page.

By the way, otherwise 1P7 is looking very good so far.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kobes: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm sorry you ran into some issues with the beta, but we appreciate the feedback. :)

1P7 started nagging about the 'upgrade'

Can you elaborate? What upgrade?

Unfortunately there was no way to get back the original screen where I could start the migration.

Sorry about that! We're still working on the first run experience, and we'll be streamlining things in future betas.

I found the secret key screen confusing, while being very much into security (I wrote white papers on usage of LUKS volumes and their security properties for an online service). Why present it if I don't need to save it?

You do need to save it. That's why you're prompted to save your Emergency Kit (which also contains the Secret Key.

I think there is a bug in the calculation of charge per month. My country charges 21% VAT, which gives 4.99 * 1.21 = 6.04 per month. However, 6.4 was presented. I think I kinda know why this happens (I encountered exactly the same problem in my job once), the cents are marked up differently in the HTML, so they are rendered separately. However, computers think of 04 being identical to 4, so they strip the leading 0('s). Convert to string before splitting and you should be pretty much good to go (but still code wise it is horribly annoying if you ask me :) ) This is on the creditcard entry page.

Hmm. Can you tell me the currency and country? This is something we'll need to look into.

By the way, otherwise 1P7 is looking very good so far.

Thank you! We've still got plenty of work to do, but glad you're enjoying it. :chuffed:

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

Can you elaborate? What upgrade?

Adding a license or account to get out of read-only mode.

Sorry about that! We're still working on the first run experience, and we'll be streamlining things in future betas.

No worries, it is called beta for a reason. I simply report back because I assume you want the feedback, otherwise a public beta would not add much :)

You do need to save it. That's why you're prompted to save your Emergency Kit (which also contains the Secret Key.

Yes, you need to save it, but not the first time it is displayed. So that is a confusing screen for me. It looks very important with the design and all, but also tells you basically to not care too much, as you should later. This might be more confusing for more advanced users, as I know a little bit about what is happening (after reading a lot on your security model) that gives reason for caution on what happens with the key.
    What I find a bit confusing is that the page got the following message across to me: 'here is something important, ignore it until later notice'. Why should I ever ignore something important?

Hmm. Can you tell me the currency and country? This is something we'll need to look into.

I am paying from the Netherlands in Euro (but I think the calculations happen in dollars actually). The same issue is present on the billing screen, see the screenshot. You can see that the yearly total is off by 4,38 which is 12* 0,36 and then some rounding differences. And then a weird 12*4,99 is kinda equal to 59,85. This could be pro-rating to the full calendar month, though. I did not look into that in detail.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Adding a license or account to get out of read-only mode.

@Kobes: Ah, that makes sense. I'm sorry for misunderstanding!

No worries, it is called beta for a reason. I simply report back because I assume you want the feedback, otherwise a public beta would not add much :)

Totally! The feedback is appreciated. Even when it's an issue we're aware of, reports like this help us prioritize the work we do. Thank you! :)

Yes, you need to save it, but not the first time it is displayed. So that is a confusing screen for me. It looks very important with the design and all, but also tells you basically to not care too much, as you should later. This might be more confusing for more advanced users, as I know a little bit about what is happening (after reading a lot on your security model) that gives reason for caution on what happens with the key. What I find a bit confusing is that the page got the following message across to me: 'here is something important, ignore it until later notice'. Why should I ever ignore something important?

Agreed. We will try to make it clearer. We hate to do something like leave it there staring at you until you save it, as that seems a bit heavy-handed, but perhaps we should do just that due to the importance of this.

I am paying from the Netherlands in Euro (but I think the calculations happen in dollars actually). The same issue is present on the billing screen, see the screenshot. You can see that the yearly total is off by 4,38 which is 12* 0,36 and then some rounding differences. And then a weird 12*4,99 is kinda equal to 59,85. This could be pro-rating to the full calendar month, though. I did not look into that in detail.

Oh wow. So yeah, the thing on the left is just wrong as far as I can tell. However, the details on the right seem to be correct: earlier you mentioned a 21% VAT rate, and 12.5685 is 21% of 59.85. But I agree that the whole thing is kind of confusing because some of the details are off (the weird decimal on the left certainly doesn't help). We'll get this fixed. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

ref: apple-969

This discussion has been closed.