Trying to understand passwords used to create vaults differ from master password

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around creating a vault using a password other than my master password. I am running a trial of 1password Business. I logged into the web interface and created a bunch of vaults. Later on i logged into the iOS mobile app and created a few vaults there as well. In both cases there was no prompt about creating a vault with a password, however, when i logon to my windows app and try to create a new vault by selecting "new vault on this pc", there is a password field required to create a vault along with a message about using a different password than your master password if you intend on sharing that vault.
Why would there be no password prompt on the web page or mobile device but when using the windows app there is a password field?
Am i missing something here? My intent for the vaults i created is to share them however the message in the screen shot makes me question if creating new vaults to be shared is ok/wise when using my master password or when creating them on the web page and mobile app.

1Password Version: 7.0.543
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@ChesterCopperpot

when i logon to my windows app and try to create a new vault by selecting "new vault on this pc", there is a password field required to create a vault along with a message about using a different password than your master password if you intend on sharing that vault.

That would be because if you choose that option, you're creating a vault on your PC (i.e. - locally, standalone), not in your 1Password Business account. In short: don't choose this option unless you want a vault that's ONLY visible to you and NOT part of your 1Password Business account.

For the present, if you want to create new vaults in your 1Password Business account, you'll need to do that via a web browser directly at 1Password.com. Sign into your account in a browser, and you should see a list of administrative/management functions in the right sidebar. The main page also lets you create a new vault right from there. Hope that helps!

Edited to add: I should also mention that if you or someone else on the team is the sort who enjoys getting your hands dirty "under the hood," we've also got a command-line interface you might be interested in: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/01/11/1password-command-line-tool-0-2-tims-new-toys/

• ChesterCopperpot
    ChesterCopperpot
    Community Member

Ahhhh i see. What about creating a vault via mobile app(iOS)? That seems to add visable vaults to the business account or am I wrong about that?
    Would adding shared vaults via the windows app be available in the future or is this not on the radar or perhaps not technologically viable?
    Personally i would like to be able to create them in the windows app because it seems easier to access quickly. If i add them via the web page i have to pull out my secret key everytime although i suppose i could copy the key from the account tab in the windows app, just seemed like the windows app would be the logical place to create a vault.
    Once again thank you for your time and patience in answering my questions.

Cheers:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Ahhhh i see. What about creating a vault via mobile app(iOS)? That seems to add visable vaults to the business account or am I wrong about that?

@ChesterCopperpot: Unless you create a vault in your account, it will be a local vault stored only on your device. Those vaults will still be visible in the app of course, but just separate from your account (and therefore not automatically available on your other devices).

Would adding shared vaults via the windows app be available in the future or is this not on the radar or perhaps not technologically viable? Personally i would like to be able to create them in the windows app because it seems easier to access quickly.

We definitely want to make it possible to create account vaults from right within the app in the future, but you can always create new vaults in your account through 1Password.com in your web browser.

If i add them via the web page i have to pull out my secret key everytime although i suppose i could copy the key from the account tab in the windows app, just seemed like the windows app would be the logical place to create a vault.

1Password.com will not require you to enter your Secret Key each time by default, but if you're selecting the "public computer"" option when signing in or otherwise resetting something in your browser it will be like you're signing in for the first time each session.

Once again thank you for your time and patience in answering my questions.

Absolutely! Be sure to let us know if you have any others. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.