previous passwords is causing securiy problems

Options
Sara_B
Sara_B
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

The saving of "previous passwords" is [removed by AgileBits staff — this is a public, family-friendly support forum]. I think that is a huge opening for hackers.
I change a password and then in the "previous passwords", it is changed within seconds, to a minute.. I can send you screen shots. I cannot change my password that fast... but "previous Passwords" shows it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:previous passwords is causing securiy problems

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The saving of "previous passwords" is [...] a huge opening for hackers.

@Sara_B: How so? A "previously used password" will be, by definition, not useful to hackers since it is no longer valid for that account. And if you're using 1Password to generate unique random passwords for every account, there's no risk of it being reused elsewhere either.

I change a password and then in the "previous passwords", it is changed within seconds, to a minute.. I can send you screen shots. I cannot change my password that fast... but "previous Passwords" shows it.

Can you clarify what you're referring to? "Previously used passwords" is just a record of the password history for a specific item. It's a safeguard in case you think you changed it on the website but didn't, so you don't lock yourself out of your account. Once you've successfully changed your password though, the "previously used passwords" are not a security risk, because they are no longer valid for that account. But if you want, you can Duplicate the item and delete the original. This will carry over everything except for the password history. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.