Teams - Private vault question

Options

My company signed me up for 1Password Teams. Is my company administrator able to see any of the passwords in my Private vault? Are they able to see my Master Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My company signed me up for 1Password Teams. Is my company administrator able to see any of the passwords in my Private vault? Are they able to see my Master Password?

Comments

• Hi @sarahs_chesa,

No one other than you can see the contents of your Private vault. Do note however that if the company controls the email address associated with your 1Password account, they could gain access by taking over your email account and then putting your 1Password account through the recovery process.

They would not be able to see your Master Password.

Ben

• sarahs_chesa
    sarahs_chesa
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm... is there a way to separate them out or have two accounts?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @sarahs_chesa :)
    Yes, there is, but not directly as a part of the Teams account. If you want to store personal, non-work related passwords separately from your work account, which I personally would suggest, you can sign up for your own individual 1Password account here. Once signed up, the 1Password apps support multiple accounts at the same time. You simply need to sign in to the accounts on your devices. Instructions on how to do that can be found here. That way you can have your work-related passwords and information on your Teams account while any personal passwords and info can be kept separately in the vaults of your individual account.

Hope that helps. :)
    Corey

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sarahs_chesa @Corey_C is correct; the way most folks do this (myself included) is to have two separate accounts; for example an individual account for your own personal items, and then your membership of the Teams account at your company for your work-related items.

Once you've added both accounts to one of the 1Password apps, the vaults from both accounts become available to use in the app; moving any personal items you may already have stored in your "Private" vault in the Teams account to the "Personal" vault in your individual account is just a matter of moving items between two vaults - you can find our guide for that here: https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/

I hope that helps! :+1:

• litaf
    litaf
    Community Member
    Options

Curious – I have a personal account and a team account, but only require one password (my personal) to access both. I guess my personal account is being recognized as my "primary" account? Just want to make sure that a recovery process applied against my team account (from the administrator) would not give them access to my personal account passwords. Please confirm. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@litaf: That's by design. The 1Password apps unlock using the Master Password for the first account/vault added.

The recovery process only applies to each account, not across accounts. There is no recovery process for individual 1Password.com accounts, only 1Password Teams (or Families). And again, your Private vault's contents cannot be accessed by anyone other than you. Recovery doesn't give someone else access to your account; it allows you to get back into it.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• f33rx
    f33rx
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

How do I get the personal passwords out of the Team vault?

• @f33rx: the best way to move items about is to use one of our desktop apps like 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. That way you can easily move the items across vaults and even across accounts. Once you've moved them out, you'll want to empty the trash of the vault that they were in as there will still be a copy of the item there. If they're truly personal passwords and you want to destroy all traces, you'll then need to use the 1Password.com website, go into the vault that they were in, click on 'Trash' in the bottom left corner, then choose to View Archived Items. There you'll be able to permanently destroy the copies of the items.

I hope that helps.

Rick

• f33rx
    f33rx
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@rickfillion Thank you, that was thorough and very helpful. I appreciate that.

I get an error: Failed to empty trash:
    Incorrect Version value has been sent.

• Emptying the trash again should do the trick. It just means that another edit to the vault happened before the app you were using got notified of it and sent its request to the server to empty the trash.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.