1PW7 tagging between Windows and Mac version

Options
Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

For better or worse, my Windows laptop broke and broke hard. I purchased a replacement device, and I'm back on the Mac version of 1Password. The Mac version seems to be using the 1PW7 migrated opvault without issue, which is very good news. I was really happy with the direction of the new 1PW 7 version and bummer I can't help you test further. I will be getting my parents to update to the new version once you guys announce a stable general release. Three questions:

1) May I safely delete the old 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox since I seem to be on the new opvault without issue?

2) May I safely delete the old 1Password.opvault.backup directory in Dropbox (not the back up stored in /Users/airvanilla/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups)?

3) In the Windows version, I had invested a bit of time setting up nested tags. These nested tags are not appearing correctly on the Mac version, rather each sub-tag is a tag outright at the top tag level. Is that normal behavior? Or do I need to do something on the Mac version to have the Windows version tagging appear correctly?

(An unrelated FYI: when I restored data from CrashPlan and Dropbox, OMG, the number of crap files created inside the 1PW vault and elsewhere was a nightmare. Each file had a duplicate file original1.***, and sometimes a ***dropbox.atttributes or *dropbox.attr file. The vault looks to be cleaned up now and working well after _carefully_ deleting the garbage files.)

1Password Version: 1PW7 Windows and 1PW 6.8.8 for Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win8.1 and OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Superfandominatrix: First, I'm really sorry to hear about the death in the family. I know what it's like to lose a machine I depended on. On the plus side though, it's sometimes nice to have an excuse to get something new. And, while it sounds like you won't be spending as much time on the Windows side for a bit, you've already provided tons of great feedback on the beta, so thank you for that! :)

1) May I safely delete the old 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox since I seem to be on the new opvault without issue?

I would hang onto it for a bit. It's probably not very big, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Consider moving it out of Dropbox though, just to avoid confusion, and back it up somewhere safe just in case. You have been using prerelease software after all.

2) May I safely delete the old 1Password.opvault.backup directory in Dropbox (not the back up stored in /Users/airvanilla/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups)?

As long as you have the original vault and a current backup for your data somewhere safe (offsite is best), that's fine. I tend to keep way more backups than I think I need though because I am terrified of finding that my backup is no good and not having another to fall back on.

3) In the Windows version, I had invested a bit of time setting up nested tags. These nested tags are not appearing correctly on the Mac version, rather each sub-tag is a tag outright at the top tag level. Is that normal behavior? Or do I need to do something on the Mac version to have the Windows version tagging appear correctly?

Aha! It sounds like you've been so busy with the Windows beta that you missed the Mac beta! Definitely check that out. Version 6 does not support nested tags, but version 7 sure does. ;)

(An unrelated FYI: when I restored data from CrashPlan and Dropbox, OMG, the number of crap files created inside the 1PW vault and elsewhere was a nightmare. Each file had a duplicate file original1.***, and sometimes a ***dropbox.atttributes or *dropbox.attr file. The vault looks to be cleaned up now and working well after _carefully_ deleting the garbage files.)

Huh. Maybe this is a quirk of CrashPlan restoring to one platform to another. I haven't encountered that myself. Those doesn't seem to be at all related to 1Password, but are probably metadata that is normally hidden in the OS. Both Windows and macOS have stuff like like this. Glad you were able to sort it out though! :)

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

I will look at the Mac beta once I have set up my new machine. Much housekeeping to do.

Thank you as always~

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of Brenty and the team here, you're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.