ver 7 beta 11 SYNC error

m_a
m_a
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Reporting sync error since beta 11 update.
Got upgraded to beta 11. no problem with safari extension... questions answered in discussion group. BUT... I'm setup to sync with dropbox which it did an hour ago (before update to beta 11). I just got a message (shortly after the beta 11 update) that there was a sync error and I should check my preferences. Preference show sync to dropbox with correct path to 1Password.agilekeychain.

1Password Version: 7.0 Beta 11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rudy
    edited May 2018

@m_a,

You'll want to turn on sync again for that vault. It will create an OPVault for you. AgileKeychain support is being retired in 7.0.

Rudy

• onewil
    onewil
    Community Member

Same same. Old (long time) user on .agilekeychain format still.
    Wish there'd been a prompt (maybe there was) as I have a couple of devices and didn't have access to them all at the moment of update.

• RPBarnes
    RPBarnes
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I had no idea about this either. I had a pop up message that I missed reading, as once 1Password had updated, it yet again "quit unexpectedly" and then I carry on normally thereafter. I checked my preferences and can see one vault has already changed to an OPVault type, however I had to manually stop syncing, then re-start syncing, chose the path for the file, before it would create and back up to an OPVault for my 'Primary' vault.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I, too, am getting a sync error, and I am using OPVault.

NSURL=file:///Users/[user]/Documents/Dropbox/1Password.opvault/, NSFilePath=/Users/[user]/Documents/Dropbox/1Password.opvault, NSLocalizedDescription=1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file. Please update sync preferences to start syncing again.}

Update: I disabled and re-enabled Dropbox sync, and it is definitely not syncing. Still getting the error that it cannot read sync file.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I was able to get sync working again by disabling sync, rebooting, and then re-enabling it.

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member

@rudy I have one additional vault synced via a folder. It already has the .opvault format. Still, this morning I got a notification from 1Password about sync: "Problem detected. Update preferences".

• saphirblanc
    saphirblanc
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue, all vaults are already on .opvault format and got this popup.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Just to link the two, there's a similar thread here about the same error—although that relates to use of WLAN sync.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hmm. I'm syncing with Dropbox here myself and haven't encountered this. Definitely make sure that the Dropbox app is up to date (this has bitten me in the past), and verify that the vault you're trying to use is fully sync'd. Are you all seeing the exact same error?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I was able to get sync working again by disabling sync, rebooting, and then re-enabling it.

@Stephen_C: Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it! :)

file:///Users/[user]/Documents/Dropbox/1Password.opvault/

But what is this? It looks like you're trying to sync with something in your Documents folder named "Dropbox", but not Dropbox.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

@brenty, my Dropbox folder is in ~/Documents, so that is the correct path to the vault.

• Please try this:

1. Disable sync on all devices
    2. Delete the opvault file (and any other 1Password files) from Dropbox
    3. Set up Dropbox sync fresh

Let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member

Just upgraded to beta 11 this morning, got the notification of an error with 1Password Sync, and now am noticing that changes made to the Dropbox vault via other sources (iOS in particular) are not propagating to the MacOS application. When I make changes to the iCloud vault they work fine, but changes to the Dropbox vault do not come across.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-11
    Extension Version: 4.7.1
    OS Version: 10.13.4
    Sync Type: iCloud & Dropbox

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

That's tricky @ben. I have several opvault files shared with someone else on Dropbox.
    Does it mean they also need to disable sync and I need to delete the shared opvault file?

Corentin

• @cortig,

That is indeed tricky. Sharing 1Password data using opvault files in Dropbox only has very limited support at this point. It definitely isn’t a recommended configuration. As such I don’t really have a direct answer to your question readily available. If it were me I would try the path of least resistance first: only follow the steps on your own devices and with your own vaults.

Ben

• mwdiers
    mwdiers
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I had the same issue. This appears to be a vault unlocking issue.

I solved the problem by turning off syncing on the vault in question, leaving the .opvault file in place in Dropbox.

I then turned syncing back on and pointed 1Password to the existing .opvault in Dropbox. I had to enter the vault password, and thereafter syncing worked again.

• Hi folks,

This is working as intended if you were previously using the Agile Keychain sync format. Agile Keychain is being discontinued in favor of the newer (but no longer ‘new’) OPVault format. If you were using OPVault already I wouldn’t expect to see this... Please let me know if you’re running into that.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I followed your steps.
    1Password recreated the .opvault files and synced them through dropbox.
    I was able to import and sync with them on another Mac.
    I'm having significant issues on my iOS devices though (but I suspect its because the Dropbox app is unresponsive, not because the data is messed-up: I was able to sync to two vaults, but I can no longer list my available vaults and therefore add a third one on my iPhone).

Corentin

• @cortig,

1Password will use the Dropbox app for authentication if it is present, but does not need it. Can you try uninstalling Dropbox on the iPhone and then try setting up sync in 1Password for iOS?

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I really think it's a networking issue @ben. I can't load data from most pages right now. I'll give it some time and I'll check again, but things worked just fine for two vaults before I started having the issue.

Corentin

• Okay :+1:

Ben

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member

The vault in question on the Dropbox folder is in fact an .opvault file. I do not know that there were any problems with any of the prior-to-beta-11 releases though.

I am trying the instructions that @mwdiers provided, but when I turn syncing back on it appears to want to merge the vaults, and I am hesitant as this vault is shared among other developers. Forgive me if I am just missing something, but I cannot find where I can delete a reference to a vault and then re-add a vault.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I can load the vault just fine on my iPhone if I disable WiFi :-> Obviously a network issue. So far things appear to be syncing and I'm not seing the same warning I was seing since yesterday.

• Great. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• @elDub

The change to remove Agile Keychain support was made in beta 11, but it looks like the change may be affecting some OPVault users as well. Please see my replies to cortig here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/429191/#Comment_429191

Sharing 1Password data via Dropbox is not a recommended configuration.

Ben

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@ben: Not a "recommended configuration"? What is the difference between one user using an .opvault on a Dropbox volume and accessed via iOS and MacOS devices (a supported feature) and multiple users accessing the same .opvault file on the Dropbox volume? It would seem to me that both scenarios could run into a conflict if we are talking about two devices attempting to alter the contents at the same time.

• @elDub

Are these people sharing a Dropbox account? Or is the keychain in a folder that is shared across Dropbox accounts? The latter is what is not recommended/unsupported. If you’re all logging into Dropbox with the same credentials then you’re right: it isn’t much / any different.

Ben

• Update here after conferring with development: 1Password for Mac v7 beta 11 is sandboxed, and as such you’ll see this message as well if your OPVault keychain is outside of Dropbox/1Password or Dropbox/Apps/1Password

Ben

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member

The .opvault file is in a folder shared by one account to many accounts, and therefore it is not at the root of my personal Dropbox folder, nor in the Dropbox/Apps folder.

I do see via the Dropbox web interface that the .opvault appears as a folder. If the owner of the vault chose to share that file/folder independently of the parent folder (other assets for us developers), would I then be able to mount that folder at the root of my Dropbox folder and then regain access?

Also, using the beta application, how does one link to a new existing vault?

• The .opvault file is in a folder shared by one account to many accounts, and therefore it is not at the root of my personal Dropbox folder, nor in the Dropbox/Apps folder.

I apologize but that isn’t a configuration we can support.

I do see via the Dropbox web interface that the .opvault appears as a folder. If the owner of the vault chose to share that file/folder independently of the parent folder (other assets for us developers), would I then be able to mount that folder at the root of my Dropbox folder and then regain access?

You can certainly try that, but you’d be doing so at your own risk. We wouldn’t be able to help if this setup causes data loss. Definitely make sure good backups are in place.

Also, using the beta application, how does one link to a new existing vault?

Does said vault already have an opvault sync file? If so, double click on it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.