Feature Request: Improvements to the Document Creation

Hi,
The way that I can create different fields in a document is absolutely fantastic. I've just switched from LastPass and this is such a massive step up. However, there's a few of big limitations.

1. The Ability to reorder sections - I just wrote 4 sections with 2-4 fields each. And then I realise I want to add a section between the first and the second. At the moment the only to do this is copy every field down one section - Time consuming and messy. I was hoping that I could use the right click > export, edit and import it again. But I couldn't find a way to import a txt (and doing that would remove the nice history of the item that I value).
  2. The fixed location single notes field. In short, I want to be able to put notes wherever I like - at the start, in between sections, at the end. And we should be able to have as many notes fields as we like. At the moment the notes is always at the bottom (other than secure notes) and it's just too limiting.
  3. Rich text in the notes field - being able to bold things would be amazing.

Minor complaint

• The space between is huge, should be at least half the size (I don't think you need the space at all as you have a nice header)

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@cpmcgrath: Thanks for reaching out! I'm glad to hear that you're liking 1Password 6. Wait until you start using 1Password 7! That said, there are certainly some limitations. Fields can be reordered within a section, but we'd like to make it possible to reorder those as well in the future, and using the mouse. Markdown support is planned for version 7 (though I can't say exactly when). And custom Notes fields are something we may be able to add down the road as well. One question though:

The space between is huge, should be at least half the size (I don't think you need the space at all as you have a nice header)

Can you tell me specifically what you're referring to? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance! :)

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

Sorry, I left out a pretty key word!
    I meant the area between sections. Personally, with the existing formatting differences, I see no reason why the space has to be any bigger than between two fields.

Again, this is a pretty minor complaint, but it can easily be the difference between seeing everything at once and having to scroll to find something.

Quick example of how much space could be saved:

• @cpmcgrath: Duly noted on the spacing. I had actually never noticed that before, but now I'm probably never going to be able to unsee it so thanks for that. :wink: I believe the item details view generally will likely see an overhaul down the line. I doubt it'll be in 7.0, but 1Password 7's polished up UI really does make it apparent the details need to some. :chuffed:

I hope 1Password continues to delight and if you have other questions or feedback as you're getting to know it, you know where to find us. :+1:

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

Thanks.
    One thing to potentially consider is a 'cross field/entire document' markdown. Where the above example (with a bit more interesting data) would become something along the lines of:

{section:Foo}
    {text:username}Example{text}
    {password}abc123{password}
    {section}
    Some note with *bold* and other formatting.
    {section:Bar}
    {url:more info}https://foobar.com{url}
    {section}
    {section:Baz}
    {text:label}field{text}
    {section}
    Other Note

This would have several advantages:

• Rearranging sections is simple!
    • Making a new section by copying an existing section is now possible.
    • Find/Replace and other text operations are easy
    • Easy version diffs - At the moment you can only view old revisions, it would be great to see what's changed between versions.

Side note: Is there a release date for 1Password 7 yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Side note: Is there a release date for 1Password 7 yet?

@cpmcgrath: If there is, I wouldn't dare tell you! But it never hurts to ask. :crazy:

Seriously though, if we did announce one, you know that wold jinx it: there would be some awful showstopper the night before. :lol:

Regarding your format suggestions, I think if we were starting from scratch today we'd probably do something in the vein. But we have a decade of stuff that 1Password users all over the world (including ourselves!) depend on, so we do need to be careful and consider any changes to the data format carefully. Nevertheless, thanks for your passion and feedback on this! :)

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member

Hi, Sorry for constantly bugging you guys! Just a quick follow on

I was looking into alternatives to only having the one notes field and I tired just adding multiple text fields in the section.
    In the item, it looks pretty good!

The problem is it pollutes the "Copy menu" with items I don't care about:

Is it possible for an enhancement to hide items without a label? Sort of breaks backwards compatibility, but I don't think it's too much to say you have to have a label for it to appear in that menu.

Finally, just a random thought I had. When you have a document which contains multiple usernames and passwords, it would be nice if there was a "password pair" item type, which looked identical to password, but included functionality to copy the field label as well. This would let you write the accounts like:

which is just far more space effecient.

• @cpmcgrath: All interesting ideas, thanks for sharing and I'll be sure to pass them along to the team! 1Password 7 may net you some improvement on the copy menu front as it has seen a small (but useful, in my opinion) redesign. As I mentioned before, we are looking at bringing some of that resign to the item details down the line, so while they may not look exactly how you'd like, hopefully it will be an improvement. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.