Infinite Loading / Blank Screen on 1Password X for Firefox

I downloaded the extension and completed initial setup, but when I type in my master password to unlock 1Password, it loads forever. Clicking out of the extension popup thing and clicking back in makes the popup blank until I restart Firefox. Right clicking and clicking settings takes me to the extension settings, which works fine.

Everything works in Chrome on the same laptop, but switching between FF and Chrome is a pain.

I haven't yet tried reinstalling the extension, but I'll probably do that soon.

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: 1.7.0
OS Version: Arch Linux (on Xorg)
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xfy: Hmm. Which version of Firefox are you using? I've had that problem periodically with Chromium, but not Firefox so far. Thanks in advance!

• cs88rf
    cs88rf
    Community Member

Just downloaded the X 1.6.3 and am having exactly the problem as described in OP.

I'm using Waterfox 56.1 (sorry I know it's for Firefox 60+ but wanted to try my luck since Waterfox is no longer supported by 1P Windows and in my other thread 1P X is mentioned to be a future solution)...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cs88rf: I'm sorry for the confusion. 1.6.3 is not only very old, but it is not supported in Waterfox. We're currently testing a beta of 1Password X in Firefox 60. I don't know a ton about Waterfox, but I believe that it will have the same problem that outdated versions of Firefox will have: it simply won't have the APIs 1Password X needs to function. It's possible that will change in the future, and perhaps we can support Waterfox at that time. But it's something we'll have to evaluate later on. Our priority has to be supporting the major browser, such as Chrome and Firefox, since that's what the vast majority of our users — and the world — are using.

• cs88rf
    cs88rf
    Community Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Well, I guess I'll have to wait then. The "pruning" back in 532 dropped the support for waterfox so I was trying my luck with X. It's not that I am too stubborn to switch back to Firefox, but there are two essential extensions that wouldn't work and have no substitute in Firefox Quantum, so I kinda have to stick with Waterfox for now. I blame this on Mozilla very much for its lack of ability in providing crucial APIs to the devs =(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cs88rf: I hear you. We all have our specific workflows. I am both looking forward to getting a new computer in the near future and dreading it because there's gonna be some stuff that breaks, or that I just can't remember how to setup anymore. We definitely accumulate stuff that we grow to depend on.

But getting back to the topic, I don't think we can blame all of this on Mozilla. WebExtensions (I know, the name changed but I can never remember it) are an open standard that Chrome is using as well. Part of it is just tat it is new and stuff still needs to be added, but the other part is that add-ons and extensions have for too long had way too much power and there are very real downsides to that from a security standpoint. I know it's a bit silly of me to say that given we do browser integration ourselves and very much enjoy that power, but at the same time we have to recognize that there will need to be some sacrifices at times to make the web more secure. But as WebExtensions mature they will gain more capabilities as can be given without sacrificing security as well. Just within this last year we've seen that, which is how we're able to get 1Password X working in Firefox, so I think there's a great deal to be optimistic about. Hang in there. :)

• cs88rf
    cs88rf
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. My discontent with Mozilla is their lack of presence in the development of APIs. Devs committing on re-writing their extension for WebExtensions are waiting on Mozilla's actions. You would think that they could prepare for the prime time very well given that they announced for the move to WE 2 or 3 years ago...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We've had fairly good experience overall ourselves, but there have certainly been some bumps along the way. It's only getting better with time though — both Firefox itself and its WebExtensions support — so I think it's just a matter of time. Cheers! :)

• lburgazzoli
    lburgazzoli
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same issue with:

• Fedora 28
    • Firefox 60
    • 1Password X 1.7.0

So the login process hangs forever and then when I get back to the the extension, the pop-up window is a blank one. I've tried to reinstall it but that does not fix the issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lburgazzoli: Definitely see if you can disable automatic updates and manually get Firefox to install the latest version. That's helped others. Let me know!

• lburgazzoli
    lburgazzoli
    Community Member

where can I grab it ?

• lburgazzoli
    lburgazzoli
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Ok, got 1.7.1 it from https://addons.mozilla.org/ but the issue persists.

An additional note: if the master password is not correct, then a proper error is reported but when the password is correct the authentication process hangs forever.

• lburgazzoli
    lburgazzoli
    Community Member

Issues seems to be solved by re-initializing firefox and re-installing the extension.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

That's wonderful @lburgazzoli!

Can you please let us know if the same issue arises again?

Have a great week and thanks for using 1Password X. :chuffed:

&drew

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

Same problem here with 1.7.1 and Firefox 60. I have not tried re-initializing Firefox yet.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

I'm really sorry for the trouble. We've identified a bug with Firefox on Ubuntu. You can find more details here:

Lock screen issue: 1Password X for Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04 🐛⚠️

Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.