Known issue with Edge in Windows 10 April 2018 Update (1803) [working with Microsoft on a solution]

Options
2»

Comments

• niknik1971
    niknik1971
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting the Edge error on both my laptop and my main computer:

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: MoOsMitigation
    Package Full Name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_42.17134.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name: praid:ContentProcess
    Application Version: 11.0.17134.48
    Application Timestamp: 5ae3f17b
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_6017
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000005
    Exception Offset: PCH_35_FROM_win32u+0x00000000000021A4
    Exception Code: c000001c
    Exception Data: 000000000000008c
    OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 6017
    Additional Information 2: 60170fe41fdd82096ad7abb5ea7d5968
    Additional Information 3: a912
    Additional Information 4: a912c7e38ea781d5d2e6471cff90e402

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 623d1240eb5f510225db7218499aa3dd (1574977943335773149)

It might be unrelated, but I am wondering why I am getting the same error on both?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@niknik1971: That doesn't appear to be related to 1Password, and nothing involving 1Password and Edge would "sync" between devices either. If you remove the 1Password Edge extension from Windows as Kate suggested, do you still get the same error?

• mtcowboy
    mtcowboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hiya Guys:

It appears that the Edge error has gone since the update on the 9TH of May. I have tested Edge on several sites and it works. My sincere thanks for a quick solution.

• mtcowboy
    mtcowboy
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting this popup every time I restart my computer:

Anyway to get rid of it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hiya Guys: It appears that the Edge error has gone since the update on the 9TH of May. I have tested Edge on several sites and it works. My sincere thanks for a quick solution.

@mtcowboy: Glad to hear it! And likewise, thanks for your patience while we worked on a solution. :)

I am getting this popup every time I restart my computer:
    Anyway to get rid of it?

The only way to get rid of it is to close the window, but I suspect that's not what you're looking for. If there is a way to prevent that from happening in the first place, it would be a Windows thing and not a 1Password thing.

What's happening is that the Windows April 2018 (version 1803) update has Edge launching immediately on startup suspended, so that it's quicker to open when you try to use it. A side effect of this is that also initializes the 1Password extension, which cannot connect to 1Password since it is not running yet. Theoretically we could just remove that splash screen...but that's just causes another problem: people who install only the Edge extension and not the 1Password desktop app will have no idea why it doesn't work. :(

• mtcowboy
    mtcowboy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty. Hopefully that will disappear one day. I do understand that Microsoft touts a speedier browser than their competition and wants to keep it so, it's "the war of the browsers", haha.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtcowboy: Thank you for your understanding! Hopefully, we will be able to resolve it with Microsoft. We will post updates here, if we have them.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• niknik1971
    niknik1971
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty: if I disable the 1Password extension in edge I do not get the error when windows starts up. As such I feel that the 1Password extension is still causing an error in windows?

• @niknik1971: I did some research on your particular error, and I'm seeing quite a few folks experiencing this with the latest Windows update without the 1Password extension. It may be that the extension is expediting this crash by triggering the event that leads to it earlier than would be the case without the extension installed, but I still suspect the underlying issue is with Edge itself. To confirm, though, could you open Edge without the extension installed and attempt to visit a few sites and see if this triggers the crash? From what I've read, I would expect Edge to still crash after a fairly short time, even without the 1Password extension.

If I'm right and you're experiencing the same issue as these other Windows users, I don't want to advise you on how to go about fixing it since it's outside of our scope of expertise, but I absolutely would encourage you to reach out to Microsoft about the trouble. It appears you're most certainly not alone in seeing a crash like this, so it's definitely a problem, if likely not 1Password's problem. :+1:

• niknik1971
    niknik1971
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate you are right. I did the check and the fault does appear without 1Password app enabled. Thanks for your help. Hopefully Microsoft will sort it out soon.

• @niknik1971: Not a problem at all, though I'm sorry you've got yourself a bug. :frown: As an FYI, a Google search for MoOsMitigation was what informed my theory. While I cannot endorse any solutions suggested in various results there, given I didn't encounter this problem myself and haven't tested them, at the least you can take a look if you like and add your voice to others' reports of this issue. Hopefully that'll either net you a solution or push Microsoft to get this fixed up. :chuffed:

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey folks,

If you are seeing a crash when rebooting, can you simply deselect Edge as the default browser and reboot, see if it stops the crashing?

We are seeing reports that having Edge as the default browser can cause crashes in various areas of Windows, not just 1Password. I've just helped a customer who was seeing their Windows Settings app crashes with identical crash signature that 1Password had. When they deselected Edge as the default browser and using Chrome as default, no more crashes in 1Password and also Settings app. 1Password worked in Edge after that perfectly as well.

If that is the case for you as well, please report these issues to Microsoft using their Feedback app along with your crash signatures, it is likely a bug in Windows.

This discussion has been closed.