Error while copying passwords from iCloud Keychain

Options
ymolodtsov
ymolodtsov
Community Member

I'm trying to export passwords from the iCloud Keychain using the Readme to the converter, but I get an error that I couldn't find anywhere.
I've successfully created an empty keychain, but when I try to copy the items from the iCloud Keychain I consistently get the following errors:

I know the passwords and I had no issues with Keychain in the past. And I didn't even get to the export itself.
I'd really appreciate any ideas.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can't copy iCloud Keychain to a local one

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @ymolodtsov ,

Unfortunately, recent changes in Sierra and High Sierra have made copying some / many iCloud items not possible. Apple has provided no means to diagnose, resolve, or work around this problem. Their security tool cannot access the iCloud keychain, nor can the Keychain Access tool.

The standard belief previously was that there was some form of inconsistency between the iCloud keychain and the local device, and that the only way to resolve the issue was to disable iCloud keychain on all the devices, and then later re-enable it. This would often give access to copying items. I have not found this to be of much use since High Sierra.

It seems Apple really does not want users touching the iCloud keychain.

• ymolodtsov
    ymolodtsov
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC
    Thank you for that clarification, it’s nice to know at least it’s not my fault. Also, one more reason to switch to 1password :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I like Apple, and they do a lot of great stuff...but they also recently broke drivers for external display devices as well, so hopefully we can all have our macOS prayers answered later this year. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.