I get Unable to reach our server when trying to save password

Hi, I always get "Unable to reach our server" when trying to save a password. Not sure why. I have internet connection.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.6.6
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Β«13

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sfy: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Honestly, I can't say I'm sure either, other than that, if you are in fact online, something else is interfering with 1Password X connecting to 1Password.com. Do you perhaps have "security" software that is messing with your certificate store, or other extensions or settings that are blocking the connection?

• mhl20
    mhl20
    Community Member

I'm having this problem as well, with 1Password X version 1.6.0 on Chromium Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) on Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit). For example, I tried to create an email address based account here: https://unbound.com/users/sign_up, entered my first name, last name, email address and then selected the 1Password X "Use suggested password" option to fill in the password fields. That pops up the "Save in 1Password" dialog, and if I click "Save" I get the "We were unable to reach the server. Please check your internet connection and try again" message. My internet connection is fine in all other respects. The only other browser extension I have that might possibly be interfering is uBlock Origin but I've tried disabling that and I still get the error. I don't think I have any other software installed that might be messing with the certificate store. There are no errors in the Javascript console.

Can you suggest any further diagnostics I can try when this happens? (It's not just this site - I've noticed it frequently recently. Editing via my.1password.com works OK still.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mhl20: Thanks for letting us know! However, I'm not having any trouble saving a login on that page either. So there are a few things to look at. First, give version 66 a try, as that's current. Also, as I mentioned above,

Do you perhaps have "security" software that is messing with your certificate store, or other extensions or settings that are blocking the connection?

Anything preventing 1Password X from connecting to the server securely will cause an error like that. And if you're not having trouble more generally, like a proxy, it's probably something you've setup within Chrome itself. Let me know what you find!

• mhl20
    mhl20
    Community Member

It's not straightforward to update to Chromium 66, since that's not packaged in Ubuntu at the moment, only version 65 is. However, at some point since I reported this problem here, the 1Password X extension automatically updated to 1.7.0 (previously it was at 1.6.0) and this problem isn't happening any more, so I'm happy with that.

(For the record, there was nothing special in my Chromium setup as far as I can tell, and the problem was still happening in 1.6.0 when the few other extensions I had installed were all disabled.)

Thanks for your help, @brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not straightforward to update to Chromium 66, since that's not packaged in Ubuntu at the moment, only version 65 is. However, at some point since I reported this problem here, the 1Password X extension automatically updated to 1.7.0 (previously it was at 1.6.0) and this problem isn't happening any more, so I'm happy with that.

@mhl20: Glad to hear that things are working better for you now, but it's definitely a good idea to run the latest version of the browser. You can find links to download it on Google's Chromium Project website:

https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

(For the record, there was nothing special in my Chromium setup as far as I can tell, and the problem was still happening in 1.6.0 when the few other extensions I had installed were all disabled.) Thanks for your help, @brenty

Sure thing! Thanks for letting me know. When there's a new version of Chrome available we commence testing against that though, so running the current version will always be best since any changes we make in 1Password X will be targeting that. Cheers! :)

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member

I should mention that this happens a lot to me too. This does not necessarily happen for all the websites though. I am able to save new passwords and use 1Password for filling passwords for most the websites, but a few like Stack Overflow do not work. It shows the error mentioned by the previous users.

I don't remember other websites this happens for, at the moment.

Although, it's worth noting that I have Little Snitch 3 application working on my MacBook Pro all the time. I have set this tool to allow most of the connection requests though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arunsathiya: I think that's probably a different issue if it's only happening at some websites (the original poster says "I always get "Unable to reach our server" when trying to save a password"). And honestly I'm having trouble imagining why it would happen to you at some websites but not others. Do you use content blockers which are set to be more lenient at some sites, and 1Password X is ending up getting caught in the crossfire on others? I don't believe LittleSnitch could cause that, as it would probably be blocking all browser connections, but I may be wrong about that. Let me know what you find!

• protozzx0
    protozzx0
    Community Member

Had this too for the first time saving a login. A reload (Developer Tools - Reload), filling in my master password and trying to save again worked. Using 1Password X Beta en latest Chrome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yokk: That's interesting. And it's working for you now after reloading? Did it just happen the once?

• protozzx0
    protozzx0
    Community Member

@brenty: It happened just once since I'm using 1Password X (since a few days). I have 'automatically lock 1Password X' off, and maybe it is some sort of time-out? The next time I get the error I will check if I can save a login from a different website or not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yokk: Sounds good. Also see if there's a more detailed message in Chrome's console if you can. Very odd.

• eizion
    eizion
    Community Member

I get this all the time also. I am still on my trial period and this is not convincing me to get the paid version.

• dteare
    edited May 2018

Thanks for letting us know, @eizion. I'm sorry for the trouble.

In general we're a little over zealous with the "network connection" error message as we use it as a catch all, so it ends up being used in some error situations where it really shouldn't. We'll get that fixed up but in the meantime I suspect for many users this error is related to permissions. This is usually related to trying to save a login to a vault where you only have Read-only access but in the screenshots above I see Private / Personal vaults being used, so this can't be the cause in those cases. My second thought is perhaps the account is frozen, thereby making all your items read-only. In other words, for some users this error would be showing because their trial has expired.

This was my working theory until I read @yokk's comment that reloading 1Password X fixed the issue. This is very strange and will require us to dig deeper. Next time this happens could you look at the Console log for the background page and see if there are any errors there? To do this, select Window > Extensions and then click on the background page link as shown here:

A new Developer Tools window should appear and you can then click on the Console tab. If there are any errors they will be shown there. Hopefully by viewing these we'll be able to find the root cause of this issue.

Thank you in advance!

++dave;

ref: b5x-408

• protozzx0
    protozzx0
    Community Member

@dteare I will make sure I grab & send a log if I see the error again, thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@yokk: Also, in case it helps, I found this confusing at first too. It isn't immediately obvious here that there are no errors (not my favourite UI ever):

Unless you know what you're looking for:

(Some fun errors from Instagram's signup page...) Hopefully that helps. :)

• s63232
    s63232
    Community Member

Hey @dteare @brenty

I also get this problem all the time after I am just trying to use your 1password service this afternoon. It's really frustrated...

Here is the log from the background page, hope it's useful.

By the way, I am using uBlock and Ghostery withing my Chrome. Is that a problem??

• eizion
    eizion
    Community Member

@dteare here are my errors

• protozzx0
    protozzx0
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Hi @dteare @brenty, got the error again. I think I found the problem to reproduce: disable 'automatically lock 1Password X' and don't use the plugin for a while. After I haven't used it for some time and the app is still active I get this error, I think. Here a screenshot of (a really big) error log

• eizion
    eizion
    Community Member

@brenty @dteare, I think its the same as @yokk . I have "automatically lock 1Password X" disabled also

• Thanks for the error reports, everyone. They were incredibly helpful.

Your error messages along with some good thinking from @beyer has found the issue. We're looking to get it fixed up soon. 🀞

Thanks again,

++dave;

• We found the root cause of this issue and addressed it in the 1.7.2 official release, as well as the 1.8.2 beta. Please give it a go and let us know if you see this error again.

Thanks again for all your help tracking down this issue!

++dave;

• mwongj
    mwongj
    Community Member

Hi, I'm still experiencing the same issue when trying to add a new login using 1Password X despite upgrading Chrome and the extension. To test, I disabled all browser extensions except 1Password X to isolate the issue. I don't believe I have any services running that would impact the network. I have not set "automatically lock 1Password X" to disabled. Any help?
    Thanks

Windows 10 v1709 build 16299.371
    Chrome v66.0.3359.170
    1Password X v1.7.2

• mwongj
    mwongj
    Community Member

@dteare Any help/ideas to fix the issue I mentioned above? Thanks

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@mwongj: It looks like the sign-in domain for your account has changed but wasn't updated in 1Password X. Could you please try removing your 1Password account from the 1Password X settings page and adding it back?

Please let us know if that works for you! :smile:

&drew

• mwongj
    mwongj
    Community Member

@beyer That fixed it! Thanks

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! Thanks for sharing your logs so I can make sure that issue doesn't happen to others.

Have a great week and let us know if anything else comes up.

&drew

• mhl20
    mhl20
    Community Member

I'm afraid that, frustratingly, this problem persists intermittently with 1Password X version 1.7.3 and Chrome version 67.0.3396.62 (Official Build) (64-bit). Internet access is fine, the 1Password X status page indicates everything's working fine and I can access my vault from https://my.1password.com/ with no problems. No error that appears relevant appears in the console when this happens, e.g.:

I've also noticed that in this instance, the Chrome extension doesn't seem to be syncing with your servers either - modifications I make on https://my.1password.com/ aren't visible in the Chrome extension.

Please can you suggest some way to provide you with better diagnostics or logging so you can fix this? Almost as frustrating as the problem itself is that no one's been able to suggest a better way of helping you to track down the problem. (e.g. if you want me to rule out connecting to the servers at all being a problem, let me know which it should be contacting and I'm happy to see whether that's happening with tcpdump, or anything else you suggest.) Or is there some logging hidden somewhere in the extension's interface that I can get at?

• Hmmm.....I swore I fixed this. Looks like we have more than one issue here.

Thanks for the screenshot of that error but that's the website itself showing all that red there. The console logs you want are in the background page. Please send that log to us so we can dig deeper. To do this, select Window > Extensions and then click on the background page link as shown here:

A new Developer Tools window should appear and you can then click on the Console tab. If there are any errors they will be shown there.

One other thing I'm wondering about: have you changed your 2FA settings, Secret Key, or Master Password recently? It's a shot in the dark but we may have an issue related to that so I thought I'd ask.

• mhl20
    mhl20
    Community Member

Hi @dteare - first of all, I should say sorry for my last comment, since when reading the more recent updates to this thread, I had completely missed you explaining how to view the background page errors.

(As an aside, that option didn't appear unless I turned on "Developer mode" in the top right of the chrome://extensions page.)

I haven't changed my 2FA settings, secret key or master password.

For this test, I clicked the "Use suggested password" option on a "change password" page, which pops up the "Save New Login" box. On clicking that, I get the usual "We were unable to reach the server." error. In the background page console, there are some helpful looking errors, however! Namely: "Error: Incorrect Version value has been sent." I've attached a screenshot of that console, but I've blanked out some IDs that look like they might be personally identifying (e.g. email address, account ID).

(Trying the same on the older version of Chromium, which I normally use β€” I'm just doing this testing in Chrome 67 to rule out that being a problem β€” the same 409 response and "Error: Incorrect Version value has been sent." is in the background page console.)

Please let me know if you'd like any more details, e.g. details of what's being sent in that request, since I'm not sure what from there should be kept private... I hope this is of some help, anyway.

• Thank you for the screenshot, @mhl20! That's super helpful. And no worries about having me repeat the steps on how to get this log – it's not your job to make sure everything in these forums is read. That's ours! πŸ˜‚

Looking at the errors here I think I know what's happening. I wish I knew why it's happening, but alas I'm going to need to dig deeper before I understand the why.

I'm pretty sure that removing 1Password X and reinstalling it will fix this problem for you. I say this as it appears the syncing is not finishing completely and so when we go upload the item, we get rejected by the server as we're trying to make edits to the previous version of the item.

Please try reinstalling 1Password X and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.