1password mini doesn't work upon startup?

armscout
armscout
Community Member

I am having an issue using 1password mini and the browser extension for Firefox. Upon startup of my machine, the application does not recognize login pages (to ask if I want to store the password or even to autofill a login using command + \ ). The app is non-responsive. It seems that only after I have initially unlocked the application with my master password for the first time that something in the app comes alive and starts working. Subsequently if I re-lock the app and continue browsing or using my machine in the earlier mentioned manner, the app does recognize opportunities for password entry/storage. (and it then asks me to unlock the app with my master password)
Is this behavior the way the app is supposed to act or is there something I'm missing? If I have to log in with my master password every time to get the app "jump started" that in my opinion is a design flaw. Please help.

1Password Version: 6.8.8`
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@armscout: You definitely need to unlock 1Password in oder to be able to do anything with it. Otherwise everything is encrypted. That's why we're using it, after all! So I wonder if you're referring to something else. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance! :)

• armscout
    armscout
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I am aware of needing to login to "use" the software. However this morning my computer decided to display I had a hard disk error and upon correcting the hard disk issue, my issue of 1password mini not responding has now gone away. Sorry to have taken your time for an issue that seemed to be caused by my hardware.

• No worries. Glad to hear you were able to get the issue resolved. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• armscout
    armscout
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I think I may have spoke too soon... I started using my account on another computer as well and now I am running into the same issue as before (on both machines!?!) Here is my sequence of events that I am trying that does not seem to work(this worked at first but now not at all): machine boot > open firefox > go to a site with a login page (that I haven't stored in my account)

right now, the 1password extension does not popup asking for my Master password at all trying a site login initially after booting (to then save the login of the page).
    However if I machine boot > open firefox > login to 1password with my master password and subsequently re-lock the software and then try to login to a site - a popup for my master password does appear (with 1password in a locked state? like before...)

So this creates the question - is the "locked" state after boot different from the one when I click lock in the software? Why does the software react differently from a boot state versus the logged in but then locked state?

see the helper log file for 1password mini - you can see firefox check in but then there is trouble when it goes to try to register a username/password(which is probably why it isn't working after a boot)...

it only seems I can get firefox (or any browser) to automatically recognize that a username/password has been entered on a site - if and only if the master password has been entered at least once since boot. like I said before this worked for me at first - it would popup asking me to enter my master password then would allow me to store the username/password.

This is the log file when it does work (after logging in and re-locking 1password):

I was definitely able to do this sequence of events when I first installed the software. It fritzed out on me a couple days ago (my disk had some errors and started working after fixing the disk errors) but however now that I added another computer to my account it seems to have broken the function again (on both computers?). oh and yes I have the "Detect new usernames..." selected in 1password settings.

If the software has an auto function to save passwords - it should work interdependently of whether I have logged in with a master password or not. I have been trying to save my many passwords into the software and it is getting tedious if I have to login with my master password at least once to get the automatic part kickstarted.

• armscout
    armscout
    Community Member

@brenty or @Ben - any suggestions about my most recent post?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@armscout: Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce anything like what you're describing. There also aren't any clues in the screenshots you provided (but thank you for doing so nevertheless! the "profiles" error is a red herring though), so we'll need to dig deeper. Please restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#VPE-81584-913]

If you’re reading this and you are not armscout, this Support ID is for armscout only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: VPE-81584-913

• armscout
    armscout
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty - I've been a bit busy the past few days, but just I got a chance to run the diagnostic and send it.
    Thanks for all your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries! I see the email in the inbox here. I'll reply there shortly. :)

This discussion has been closed.