Questions and issues

wanderer
wanderer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi folks,

Thanks a lot for developing Windows app that supports local vaults. I use 1Password on Mac, but for Windows machine I was waiting for version 7 just for local vaults. Currently I am on trial beta, please find some observations below, hope they are helpful.

Versions:
1Password 7.0.543 beta Windows 10 desktop app
v1803 b17134.48 Windows 10
1.7.1 Firefox extension
4.7.1.90 Chrome extension
Firefox 60 (64 bit)
Chrome Version 66.0.3359.170 (64-bit)

Pre-steps:
p1. Created new account (my.1password.com)
p2. Converted into family account (x-family.1password.com)
p3. Installed Chrome and Firefox extensions, and actually desktop app

Questions:
q1. Both 'my.1password.com' and 'x-family.1password.com' are still working along with my secret and master password to login. Is 'my.1password.com' still expected to work after migration into 'x-family.1password.com'?
q2. (Windows desktop app) Unclear what is 'Disable sync' option for local vault - is it disabling sync with local folder or disabling sync with 1password cloud storage? Maybe some hint can be placed there.

Issues:
i1. Link between Firefox and Windows desktop app seems to be non-functional. Firefox extension doesn't see local vaults, only cloud 'Personal' one is visible. Chrome extension sees local vaults though. No native messaging checkbox can be found anywhere in the Windows desktop app. Is Firefox extension expected to work with Windows 1Password 7 beta desktop app at the moment, or this implementation bit is still in progress?
i2. (Probably caused by i1) Only Chrome is marked as "connected" in Windows desktop app.
i3. No way to import csv directly into local vault, without uploading to cloud first (ie. without going through cloud 'Personal' -> local vault migration).
i4. CSV was imported incorrectly (passwords ended up in notes, websites also in wrong field). But this issue can be caused by your competitor's borked export, and I am lazy to keep testing this :)

Thanks, I like 1Password, and appreciate your efforts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @wanderer,

Thanks for writing in and helping us test 1Password 7 for Windows.

q1. Both 'my.1password.com' and 'x-family.1password.com' are still working along with my secret and master password to login. Is 'my.1password.com' still expected to work after migration into 'x-family.1password.com'?

Just to be clear, you created a second account or you simply upgraded the first account to the family plan? If the latter, 1Password 7 should automatically update the account for you on its own once you authenticate it by unlocking the app. If you restart the app, the first account should say x-family.1Password.com.

q2. (Windows desktop app) Unclear what is 'Disable sync' option for local vault - is it disabling sync with local folder or disabling sync with 1password cloud storage? Maybe some hint can be placed there.

It simply disables the folder sync for that vault, meaning the local vault will remain in your 1Password database but do not sync anymore to the external OPVault folder.

By hint, would a tooltip on the disable sync that says Do not sync with the folder on disk anymore help?

i1. Link between Firefox and Windows desktop app seems to be non-functional. Firefox extension doesn't see local vaults, only cloud 'Personal' one is visible. Chrome extension sees local vaults though. No native messaging checkbox can be found anywhere in the Windows desktop app. Is Firefox extension expected to work with Windows 1Password 7 beta desktop app at the moment, or this implementation bit is still in progress?

1Password 7 automatically use Native Messaging by default for all 1Password extensions, WebSockets are phased out and the Firefox extension only uses Native Messaging.

That is odd. Are you by any chance using 1Password X for Firefox and not the regular 1Password extension? If you are using 1Password X, that is normal because it is self-contained 1Password extension that has its own UI/database that's connected to your 1Password.com account. It cannot use local vaults because there's no way to use files offline like that at the moment. You'll have to uninstall 1Password X and install the regular 1Password extension from here: https://1password.com/browsers/

i3. No way to import csv directly into local vault, without uploading to cloud first (ie. without going through cloud 'Personal' -> local vault migration).

This hasn't been implemented for 1Password on Windows yet. Prior to 1Password 7, 1Password 6 was limited to 1Password.com memberships and we use the 1Password.com's import tools for other formats. We plan to add more import format support in a future update for standalone vaults.

i4. CSV was imported incorrectly (passwords ended up in notes, websites also in wrong field). But this issue can be caused by your competitor's borked export, and I am lazy to keep testing this :)

Unfortunately, that is the nature of the strict CSV format, it's why we came up with our own 1PIF format that's JSON but sadly we haven't yet implemented 1PIF export yet, only import. We plan to address this in a future update.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks a lot Mike for quick reply.

Only q1 and i1 seem to require further discussion.

q1. I converted to family account. Everywhere in the web it changed to 'x-family'. But desktop app was still referring to 'my' as sign-in address, the account name was changed to family name though. I think I restarted it (may be wrong) - anyway, in order to see 'x-family' as sign-in address used in the desktop app I had to select 'Sign Out', and then relogin with 'x-family' as sign-in address. So everything is as expected atm. After that, out of curiousity, I've tried to relogin using my.1password and it also worked. Hence the question, is that expected? I would expect login using my.1password to fail after conversion to family account. Currently I can login the same family account using both 'my' or 'x-family' as sign-in address.

i1. You are totally right, silly me was using the wrong version of the extension. But the problem is that the correct one cannot be installed. During download, Firefox says there was a connection failure. If I copy-paste the link into different tab I can download 1Password-4.7.1.90.crx, but when I try to install it manually into Firefox, Firefox says 'This addon cannot be installed'. Maybe Firefox is offered to install Chrome extension actually, idea came from file extension '.crx'.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

q1. I converted to family account. Everywhere in the web it changed to 'x-family'. But desktop app was still referring to 'my' as sign-in address, the account name was changed to family name though. I think I restarted it (may be wrong) - anyway, in order to see 'x-family' as sign-in address used in the desktop app I had to select 'Sign Out', and then relogin with 'x-family' as sign-in address. So everything is as expected atm. After that, out of curiousity, I've tried to relogin using my.1password and it also worked. Hence the question, is that expected?

@wanderer: Yep! Your sign in address is, of course, the new one you setup when switching to 1Password Families, but since 1Password.com is our site, we've worked some magic to help you sign in even if you forget and use my.1password.com accidentally. :)

I would expect login using my.1password to fail after conversion to family account. Currently I can login the same family account using both 'my' or 'x-family' as sign-in address.

Correct. The sign in address isn't an actual account credential; it's just the location for logging in. So 1Password.com behind the scenes can use your email address, Master Password, and Secret Key to redirect you to the correct place during sign in. That's why you'll see that you end up at the right address in the end. ;)

i1. You are totally right, silly me was using the wrong version of the extension. But the problem is that the correct one cannot be installed. During download, Firefox says there was a connection failure.

The connection failure is caused by something in your setup — often "security" software posing as a certificate authority so they can perform a person-in-the-middle attack and decrypt all of your connections to websites. Our website rejects connections where the security has been compromised.

If I copy-paste the link into different tab I can download 1Password-4.7.1.90.crx, but when I try to install it manually into Firefox, Firefox says 'This addon cannot be installed'. Maybe Firefox is offered to install Chrome extension actually, idea came from file extension '.crx'.

This is a known issue with the alternate download. You can download the Firefox extension here:

https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/

Or directly from our update site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

But you really should investigate what is preventing you from connecting securely in Firefox, as you should be able to install it there directly.

• wanderer
    wanderer
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty,

I managed to download .xpi (via Chrome) and install it manually into Firefox :)

All sorted now, thanks again, topic can be closed.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that helped! I hope you have a great week too — and that you figure out what's preventing you from installing in Firefox from the website. Better safe than sorry. :)

• zfil
    zfil
    Community Member

Hello Brenty

I got exactly the sane issue trying to download the latest extension for FF, it downloaded the .crx instead of the .xpi.
    I eventually managed to downloaded manually as well but please have a look at your servers because it seems there is a configuratoin problems somehow :)

Cheers
    Philippe

• Hi @zfil,

It's a known bug on our site, we'll get it fixed soon. Thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.