Could macOS style searching be brought to the Windows app?

Options
pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I've noticed that searching in different categories/tags differs slightly between 1Password for macOS and Window's.

On macOS, whatever category/tag is selected, a search always gives results from all your items. On Windows, the search is narrowed down to the category/tag you currently have selected.

I wonder if macOS style searching could come to Windows, or is there a reason the versions slightly differ in this? I prefer the macOS method, as I always start 1Password in Favorites, so a search covering all my items takes an extra click on Windows.

1Password Version: 7.0.543.BETA
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 x64 1803
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @pbryanw,

Thanks for writing in.

The problem is there is no way to narrow the search to any categories on Windows, macOS have advanced search UI that lets you narrow by category, we do not yet. The said search UI is exclusive to macOS APIs that simply cannot be ported to other platforms. Once we can build the said advanced search UI using a different system that's cross-platform friendly, we can then try to match the search behavior on all platforms.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@MikeT - Thanks for your reply & detailed explanation of why it's currently difficult to bring mac-style search over to Windows.

As a layman, it sound's like building a cross-platform search UI for both macOS & Windows, would be a difficult undertaking. I hope in this case, either the Windows APIs will support this in time, or that unified cross-platform search can be tackled once 1Password 7 has been released, in a future update :chuffed:

Thanks again for your answer :+1:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @pbryanw,

You're welcome.

We're hoping it won't take that long, we did add some search filters in time like tag:, file:, title: in the search field to narrow down the item list. We should be able to add category: in time and maybe, we can power our advanced search on top of these filters. We just hope this will work out well for all platforms.

This discussion has been closed.