Connection problem

This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't connect to 1Password Helper.

Comments

• paullock56
    paullock56
    Community Member

Whenever I attempt to set a new password as suggested by 1pw, I can't save it - I get a 'could not connect to server' error. I've just renewed my sub but glitches like this make me wonder whether it's worth all the technical grief.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paullock56: I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. 1Password.com has very strict security, so if a secure connection cannot be established you'll get an error like that. Do you have "security" software, proxy/firewall, or other network restrictions in place that would be interfering? We don't have any control over things on your end, but we can probably help you narrow down the cause if you'll share some information.

• paullock56
    paullock56
    Community Member

Hello Brenty,
    My security hasn't changed - I've got a Mac with a firewall - and the system used to work fine. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, it's very frustrating. I was assuming that there was a change at your end, as it were.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paullock56: No, we haven't changed the security protocols 1Password.com uses. And it continues to work nearly everyone else — with the exception of people in situations I mentioned above. Have you tried it without the firewall? And, again, are you running other "security" software, or do you have restrictions in place in the router, or custom DNS?

It sounds like you are able to connect sometimes. That reminds me of issues I've had with my router in the past. Doesn't hurt to check. I'm just not sure what else to tell you without any information about your setup. :(

• paullock56
    paullock56
    Community Member

My point Brenty is that I haven't changed anything and yet 1P is now not working. I don't have any security software. I'm running Chrome on a Mac with the Chrome extension. I'm not a technician so I've no idea if I "have restrictions in place in the router, or custom DNS" - if I have, I've always had them. How can I check and if so, what should I do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paullock56: I hear you. just keep in mind that you know much more than we do at this point. Can you give me some details about your setup? OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions, for starters. But if you're not sure about your router, it could be that your ISP changed something as well. Either way, with your cooperation, we should at least be able to narrow it down. :)

• paullock56
    paullock56
    Community Member

here they are Brenty - macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, Chrome extension for 1P 1.8.2, Chrome Version 66.0.3359.170 (Official Build) (64-bit). 1P is X Beta.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@paullock56: Oh. You're using 1Password X beta, not the extension for 1Password for Mac? That's completely different than this 1Password for Mac topic, so I'll split you off into a new discussion in the 1Password X beta category. Thanks for letting me know! That extension doesn't connect to the 1Password app at all, so it's a very different situation. I appreciate you bearing with my confusion here. :)

Your description sounds similar to this discussion here:

No connection to server

Either way, could you please clarify exactly the error you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• paullock56
    paullock56
    Community Member

Morning Brenty,
    Thanks but I just managed to set up a new password - something's gone right somewhere. Fingers crossed that whatever the problem was, it's now fixed. I did update Chrome yesterday so I guess that was the issue. Sorry to have bothered you.
    Paul

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paullock56: It's no bother! Updating Chrome can help too because a lot of stuff breaks when there's a pending update. If I'm right and you were experiencing the same issue, the bad news is that you probably will again. But the good news is that the development team is working on a solution to work around the connection problem, and you will automatically be updated to the latest version of 1Password X when an update is released. Don't hesitate to reach out if you encounter further issues though. Otherwise, thanks for the update, and enjoy your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.