1PW7 Windows beta doesn't have auto-type

Options
wraith
wraith
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

The new 1Password 7 Windows beta doesn't have auto-type as an option for passwords. I assume this is just a case of "not yet built" rather than "left out by design" but wanted to call it out as I use that feature almost as often as I use auto-fill.

I am running a Windows VM inside Hyper-V that I log into using 1Password. I've just discovered that I can't really login to it with the v7 beta because I can't auto-type my passwords. As a general rule Copy/Paste isn't available for Hyper-V VMs (especially not at login). Previously I just opened the login inside 1Password and clicked auto-type which typed my password in (and there are other security reasons this is better than copy/paste anyway).

Obviously I can still choose to display the password on the screen and manually type it into the VM... but then my whole open-plan office will know the password, which I'm trying to avoid :)

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Local
Referrer: forum-search:auto-type

Comments

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify, I assume that the feature has been at least in part carried over to the new 1Password Mini fill feature... but that only works when it can find a field and knows where to type. The benefit of the old auto-type is you had to put the cursor in the right spot and then all 1Password did was emulate the keyboard typing.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wraith,

Thanks for writing in.

That is correct, Auto-Type as we know it in 1Password 4 is not yet implemented. We are starting the foundation for it with the very basic Type in Window feature that you have seen in 1Password mini. This is actually testing to see if it is finding the program correctly and then we evolve "Type in Window" into Auto-Type over time by adding support for the keyboard shortcut (to do username, tab, password, and optionally enter), saving program's ID into the Login item, and so on.

Just to be clear for others that may read this, it works like this:

1. Focus the first username field in the program you want 1Password to type in, it usually is by default.
    2. Bring up 1Password mini, right-click on the item you want to use and expand the copy menu next to the username field to select the program to type the username in.
    3. Tab to password field in the program and then repeat step 2, this time for expanding the password field. Note that as long as you're on the same program, 1Password will show you the last used item as selected in 1Password mini's item list, it may be at the bottom.
  • evenh
    evenh
    Community Member
    Options

I look forward to have this in 1PW7 as well. Is there a timeline for this feature?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@evenh: It's definitely not going to be in 7.0. Besides that, I can't give specifics. It's not an easy addition, and we'd prefer to take the time to get it right.

This discussion has been closed.