Windows Beta 7 doesn't accept my Master password

manski
manski
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I just tried the latest 1Password 7 Beta for Windows but I couldn't get beyond the lock screen. 1Password doesn't accept my Master password.

I'm not sure it picked up the correct vault, though. All vault related menu entries were disabled and it wouldn't tell me which vault it picked.

I had 1Password 4 (standalone) on my system and it worked.

Since the beta didn't work I went back to 1Password 4 and it still works.

Is it possible that the beta only accepts Master passwords that are at least 10 characters long when unlocking?

1Password Version: 7.0.543.BETA
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @manski,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 7 wouldn’t reuse what you have in 1Password 4, it is an isolated install. This means when you install 1Password 6 or 7, it would ask you to open or create a new vault, even if there are existing 1Password 4 vaults on disk.

In this case, it sounds like you may have installed 1Password 6 as a trial in the past and that’s the password it is using, uninstalling 1Password wouldn’t remove its internal database.

My suggestion is to start over with 1Password 7 with this guide and after that, you should be able to open the same vault from 1Password 4 and unlock properly.

I hope this helps.

• manski
    manski
    Community Member

@MikeT Haha, good catch. I think this was exactly what happened to me. 1Password 7 now works like a charm. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Mike, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.