1Password window focus issues

Options
nikgreen
nikgreen
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When using the browser extension (Chrome 64.0.3282.167 64-bit) I seem to be experiencing frequent issues with the placement of the 1Password dialogue.

More often than not the focus is behind the browser window so you have to minimise the browser to click to unlock.

Using the Hello feature (using PIN) this then changes the focus again,

On several occasions each day, when you go to use 1Password, again the dialogue is hidden behind the browser.

On another similar note, if the browser window is on an external monitor, then when clicked the 1Password dialogue is sent to the top right of the main (laptop) display. On some occasions, this also can be hidden behind another application window on the laptop display.

Awkwardly both behaviours are not consistent, if I had to put a figure on it, I would say it is fine 70% of the time and fails the remaining 30%

I'll try record a screen video if I can to demonstrate.

1Password Version: 7.0.519
Extension Version: 4.7.0.4
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro (1709 b16299.248)
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nikgreen: I hear you. It isn't something we're able to reproduce consistently, but users have reported having issues with other apps stealing focus — and Chrome is a common one. We'll continue to try to work around it, but what we can do is unfortunately limited since Windows has a very specific model for how window focus operates. I'm sorry for the inconvenience though, and we'll keep doing what we can to improve it within those constraints. :blush:

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member
    Options

I have this issue constantly, in Firefox (last 3 versions). In fact it just happened trying to log into this very forum. I right click the email/username field, choose 1password. I start typing and the characters appear in the email/username field in the browser, not the password field in the app.

However I think I know what is happening in this case and slightly modifying my behavior has made it so that it doesn't happen anymore. Basically, the 1Password pop-up is a little slow to grab focus. Not terribly slow, but just laggy enough that if you right click the password field, choose 1password and start typing immediately, the focus is still on the password field, because 1password hasn't quite popped up yet. So the text enters into whatever field you right-clicked, and 1password pops up behind the window that has the focus, because you're typing in it. Simply right-clicking, choosing 1Password, then waiting until the window actually shows up before I start typing has eliminated the issue for me.

I haven't seen the 1password window spontaneously pop up behind the login screen before, but in my experimenting with this to see what was causing it I noticed that anything you do to the login window in the brief time before the 1password window comes up will cause the login window to keep the focus, which can cause the 1password window to come up behind it. This includes mouse events, so I assume some login forms have mouse-over functionality that can cause the 1password window to pop up behind if you simply drag or hover your mouse over that part of the form. Not 100% sure of that but it follows from what I learned about the focus issue by experimenting.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers!
    Joe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

However I think I know what is happening in this case and slightly modifying my behavior has made it so that it doesn't happen anymore. Basically, the 1Password pop-up is a little slow to grab focus.

@jboren: I think you may be onto something there. But it surprises me that I don't encounter this on my old, slow m3 Surface if that's the case...

Not terribly slow, but just laggy enough that if you right click the password field, choose 1password and start typing immediately, the focus is still on the password field, because 1password hasn't quite popped up yet.

Or maybe I'm just slow in comparison. ;)

The more I think about it, I do tend to wait until I actually see 1Password (or any other window) before trying to interact with it...probably because I'm used to my slow device!

So the text enters into whatever field you right-clicked, and 1password pops up behind the window that has the focus, because you're typing in it. Simply right-clicking, choosing 1Password, then waiting until the window actually shows up before I start typing has eliminated the issue for me.

Glad to hear that's helped in your case! Perhaps others will find the same — especially if they're faster than me! :lol:

I haven't seen the 1password window spontaneously pop up behind the login screen before, but in my experimenting with this to see what was causing it I noticed that anything you do to the login window in the brief time before the 1password window comes up will cause the login window to keep the focus, which can cause the 1password window to come up behind it. This includes mouse events, so I assume some login forms have mouse-over functionality that can cause the 1password window to pop up behind if you simply drag or hover your mouse over that part of the form. Not 100% sure of that but it follows from what I learned about the focus issue by experimenting. Hope this is helpful.

Very helpful! Thank you for sharing! The one thing I did want to mention is that there are probably multiple causes with similar symptoms to this — which is probably why it's been so hard to track down. In your case, I think you're dead on. And it's definitely true that some webpages have mouse events that could cause Windows to think your browser should still have focus even though you've opened 1Password.

One question: did you ever encounter this issue when using the keyboard shortcut, or just clicking the 1Password toolbar button in the browser? I know that Windows can interpret the latter as the browser should maintain focus. A lot of it does come down to timing though.

We don't really hear from people who say that 1Password mini is showing up behind other apps, but we've actually received videos of both 1Password mini and the browser having active cursors in them. This shouldn't even be possible in Windows, but apparently it is in some cases! :scream:

At any rate, we'll continue to look into this, and I do appreciate you taking the time to weigh in on this topic! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.