Feature Request - Billing/Shipping Address info in CC entries

Options

Greetings!
I see from searching the forums that there are at least 2 closed feature requests from the last 4 years, and a whole bunch of related questions, but it's a constant source of unnecessary trouble and extra work for us, so I'm going to be That Guy and bring it back up.

Billing Address info is a non-optional part of Credit Card details on most online purchasing forms. As the person in charge of purchasing for both IT and DevOps, I'm constantly filling CC details into forms and I can count on one hand the number of them that don't require the billing address as part of that (at bare minimum the Zip code). This is because it's used for anti-fraud validation. We could argue about whether or not that is a good way to validate CC ownership, but it's beside the point for this discussion, I don't have a choice but to enter it into the form. In addition, since we use 1password to store our secrets, and fill web forms, I don't save CC info on most websites, eliminating 1 more way for those details to get compromised.

The current accepted way to deal with this in 1Password, is to fill the CC details with the CC entry, then right click one of the address fields and use an identity entry. This works about ~80% of the time, then the other 20% of the time, the two entries step on each other and the one you do last overwrites something in the first one. Add to this the fact that some businesses have a billing address for the CCs that is different than the physical address for the business (think P.O. Boxes, multiple locations, etc), and now we need another identity entry just for filling CC fields. But, more importantly, this is the functional equivalent of 1password having separate "username" and "password" entries and the user having to right-click the username field, use a username entry, then right click the password field and use a password entry. Which would be silly, I'm sure you'd agree. Additionally, it is possible to setup a login entry with more than 2 fields, as I've done for several sites we use, so I think we agree that it makes sense to store and fill ALL the entries for a given form, rather than use multiple entries to fill different parts of the same form.

So I think you guys should seriously consider this feature request. For us, and for a lot of other users, judging from the multiple feature requests and other posts regarding it, it kinda-works. It would work much better and more seamless, if the CC info included the billing address.

Shipping address is another bag of worms, but suffers the same issues. That part of the forms is often on the next screen, or behind a "use billing address for shipping address" checkbox, so it seems less critical/useful to have in the CC entry, maybe a separate identity entry is appropriate for that, maybe there's a way to shoehorn it into the CC entry. I would be thrilled to settle for just the Billing address in there...

Thanks for a great product, all my complaints about it are relatively minor, but I wanted to raise a flag about this as there doesn't seem to be a really strong reason NOT to do it, and it would help us out significantly.

Cheers!
Joe

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: 1Password Team Member

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see from searching the forums that there are at least 2 closed feature requests from the last 4 years, and a whole bunch of related questions, but it's a constant source of unnecessary trouble and extra work for us, so I'm going to be That Guy and bring it back up.

@jboren: Just to clarify, forum discussions are closed after a long period of inactivity. So no problem at all creating a new one. :)

So I think you guys should seriously consider this feature request. For us, and for a lot of other users, judging from the multiple feature requests and other posts regarding it, it kinda-works. It would work much better and more seamless, if the CC info included the billing address.

We absolutely do consider it, and have some ideas how to do it. It's just not as simple as it might seem. As you noted, this works with some websites anyway. It just depends on how they're designed. That's the real challenge. A feature like this just isn't going to be useful to anyone if it isn't reliable. Hopefully we can come up with a way to do this in a future version though.

Thanks for a great product, all my complaints about it are relatively minor, but I wanted to raise a flag about this as there doesn't seem to be a really strong reason NOT to do it, and it would help us out significantly.

No worries! Thanks for bringing this up — and for the kind words and your obvious passion for 1Password. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.