What is a "trial" when you download 1P for Windows to a new computer using a family license?

paldossantos
paldossantos
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Families

I bought a new computer and decided to install 1Password on it. I had purchased a 1Password 4 for Windows family license in 2014. I have a license key but not a secret key. I clicked the download link on the purchase email, entered the license key, got the 1Password icon desktop, clicked it and got 1Password with all the data I've loaded over years, looking as always on my old computer. The only apparent exception compared prior is that the title of the panel now reads "1Password Trial" instead of the usual "1Password".

What does this change mean? Will the program work only for a limited amount of time? Doesn't a family license support more than one computer? Has it expired? Should I have downloaded it differently?

Thanks for any clarification/help.

Cordially,
paldossantos

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, x64-based processor
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I bought a new computer and decided to install 1Password on it. I had purchased a 1Password 4 for Windows family license in 2014. I have a license key, but not a secret key. I followed the download link on the purchase email and entered the license key. I got the 1Password icon on the desktop, clicked it and loaded 1Password with all the data I've entered over the years and looking as it always has on my old computer. The only apparent exception compared to prior is that the title of the control panel now reads "1Password Trial" instead of the usual "1Password". What does this change mean? Will 1Password only work for a limited amount of time? Doesn't the family license support more than one computer? Has this license expired? Should I have acted differently on the download? Thanks for any clarification/help. Cordially.

Comments

• Hi paldossantos

It sounds like you are licensed for 1Password v4 for Windows, but if you're being asked for a Secret Key that would be the newer version 6. Version 6 only works with subscription membership accounts:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you'd like to migrate to a membership instructions can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you'd rather stick with version 4, you can download that from the legacy downloads page:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for your reply, Ben.
    I think I want to change from 1Password 4 for Windows to a membership. However, I just noticed that I downloaded 1Password for Windows into my new computer yesterday and that it's version 4.6.2.626 with a red warning of "Demo Mode; expired on Jan 15, 2018". I have 2 questions:
    1) I own 2 iPhones, 1 iPad Mini + the old and new computers, used by me (mostly) and my wife. Should I get a 1Password Personal or Family Membership?
    2) Will the expired Demo Mode version in my new computer cause a problem? Should it be uninstalled first (if so, would you detail the method?). Which order of conversion of the devices should be carried out when going from 1Pwd 4 to the membership?
    I appreciate your attention to the matter,
    paldossantos

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1) I own 2 iPhones, 1 iPad Mini + the old and new computers, used by me (mostly) and my wife. Should I get a 1Password Personal or Family Membership?

@paldossantos: Generally people prefer 1Password Families, since that includes accounts for up to five people, and each get their own Private vault (in addition to any shared with them) and can choose their own Master Password. But some couples also share an individual account, if they're okay with sharing everything — data and Master Password. It's really up to you. :)

2) Will the expired Demo Mode version in my new computer cause a problem? Should it be uninstalled first (if so, would you detail the method?). Which order of conversion of the devices should be carried out when going from 1Pwd 4 to the membership?

1Password.com accounts use a newer version of 1Password, so you should uninstall version 4 in that case. Where do you have your 1Password data currently? Only on the PC?

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

1st I want to report I found a solution for the trial issue:
    On the 1password bar, I clicked Help>Enter License Key... and entered it. The title of the panel changed from 1Password Trial to simply 1Password.
    My passwords were hidden by ***********. On the password bar, I clicked View and unchecked Conceal Passwords, which revealed them.
    Next, I installed the browser's 1Password extension using the instructions in https://support.1password.com/missing-extension-button/.
    My old, (not always) trusty 1Password for Windows version 4. resuscitated in the new computer! :)
    Finally, all the bookmarks were synched into the new computer by installing iCloud for Windows.
    So, at this point, I don't feel an urgent need to move to a Member$hip but will, to get the updates that are less frequently forthcoming with 1Password 4, after I solve other more pressing, non-1Password-related issues, in my new computer.
    Answering your questions, Brenty, my current 1Password data is in a vault shared by the old and new computers, the 2 iPhones and the iPad mini.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's great! It sounds like you're in good shape, but definitely let us know if you have questions about anything else. We're here for you. :)

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

My new computer uses Windows 10, and, instead of IE, its browser is Edge. When trying to install Edge's 1Password extension, I read the admonition of making sure to install the latest 1Password for Windows (6.8 or later). My 1Password's version is 4.6.2.626. When I tried updating the version, a message indicated the current version is the latest and can't be updated. Does this mean I am at the point of needing to buy a 1Password subscription membership account, or can I try installing the Edge extension anyway? Thanks for your clarification on the matter.

• 1Password for Edge requires 1Password 6 for Windows, which requires a 1Password membership. I hope that helps!

Ben

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

As a replacement for my previous 1Password 4, I've installed 1Password 6 for Windows v6.8.534 via a membership into my new and old computers, 2 iphones and 1 iPad mini without apparent problems.
    Today, I added a new site to my old computer. Using Ctl+\, 1Pwd Works well signing in this site. However, no corresponding new item appears on the 1Password panel. How can I solve this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

no corresponding new item appears on the 1Password panel

@paldossantos: Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for the screenshot-taking instructions.

1) Today, the 1st time I tried accessing that site on aPC, Ctrl+\ worked without problems. Then I logged out of this site, so I could produce the screenshot of its login screen. Well, Ctrl+\ didn't function this 2nd time. I can no longer find in the Help menu of new 1Pwd 6, the restart with the 1Password Helper that often worked with 1Pwd 4 (is there an equivalent thereof with 1Pwd 6?). The right click on the site's username followed by Login succeeded, opening another tab. Later on, the unstable Ctrl+\ shortcut "decided" to perform well.

My problem is that the new site (https://safeandsacred-fresno.org/login/index.php) is not present on the 1Pwd panel on the 2 computers but appears on my iPhone's, seemingly not having synched to the former, where I initially created the new item.

2) Why do I have 254 items on the computers and 505 on the iPhone, each item duplicated on the latter? Paradoxically, on the upper left of the 1Pwd panel on the computers ,the vault dropdown has 3 options (All Vaults, my name and Personal), but settings>YOUR ACCOUNTS on the iPhone only shows 1 account (my name, my email).

Thanks for any help, because I'm really awed by the difficulties I've encountered, almost regretting having gotten the 1Password 6 membership.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paldossantos: Likewise, thanks for getting back to me. And you're very welcome! I can't take credit for the content, but that's a very helpful website. :chuffed:

1) Today, the 1st time I tried accessing that site on aPC, Ctrl+\ worked without problems. Then I logged out of this site, so I could produce the screenshot of its login screen. Well, Ctrl+\ didn't function this 2nd time. I can no longer find in the Help menu of new 1Pwd 6, the restart with the 1Password Helper that often worked with 1Pwd 4 (is there an equivalent thereof with 1Pwd 6?). The right click on the site's username followed by Login succeeded, opening another tab. Later on, the unstable Ctrl+\ shortcut "decided" to perform well.

I'm glad to hear it worked at first, but a bit perplexed (as I imagine you are) that it didn't after that. The only thing I can think of is that something got hung up in the browser and it needs to be restarted. This comes up most often when there's an update pending, which breaks a lot of things. I noticed I had one today myself. Definitely check for updates, let it complete, and then restart Windows. I suspect that will do the trick.

My problem is that the new site (https://safeandsacred-fresno.org/login/index.php) is not present on the 1Pwd panel on the 2 computers but appears on my iPhone's, seemingly not having synched to the former, where I initially created the new item.

Thank you for letting me know the URL! Just to be sure, I did test this on both Windows and macOS (why not be thorough?) and was able to save and fill a login using 1Password. So if you're still having trouble with this, there's probably something different about your setup and what you're doing. With that in mind, please tell me the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using there, the steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect. That will allow me to test it in a similar environment to hopefully track down the cause. Thanks in advance!

2) Why do I have 254 items on the computers and 505 on the iPhone, each item duplicated on the latter? Paradoxically, on the upper left of the 1Pwd panel on the computers ,the vault dropdown has 3 options (All Vaults, my name and Personal), but settings>YOUR ACCOUNTS on the iPhone only shows 1 account (my name, my email).

It sounds like you migrated your data in 1Password for Windows, but on the iPhone you have both the account your migrated the data to and the original local vault, so that viewing All Vaults there will show you the same data twice — once for each vault. If you tap the rainbow All Vaults icon in the upper left of the screen to switch vaults, do you see "Primary" listed there?

Thanks for any help, because I'm really awed by the difficulties I've encountered, almost regretting having gotten the 1Password 6 membership.

I'm sorry you've run into a couple bits of trouble, but we'll help you get things sorted. Looking forward to hearing back from you. :)

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member
    1) Today, the 1st time I tried accessing that site on aPC,  Ctrl+\ worked without problems. Then I logged out of this site, so I could produce the screenshot of its login screen. Well, Ctrl+\ didn't function this 2nd  time. I can no longer find in the Help menu of new 1Pwd 6, the restart with the 1Password Helper that often worked with 1Pwd 4 (is there an equivalent thereof with 1Pwd 6?). The right click on the site's username followed by Login succeeded, opening another tab. Later on, the unstable Ctrl+\ shortcut "decided" to perform well.

2) Why do I have 254 items on the computers and 505 on the iPhone, each item duplicated on the latter? Paradoxically, on the upper left of the 1Pwd panel on the computers the vault dropdown has 3 options (All Vaults, my name and Personal), but settings>YOUR ACCOUNTS on the iPhone only shows 1 account (my name, my email)

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

Thanks for trying to help me.
    1) Restarting Window and the browser may have solved the issue with Ctrl+\ not working reliably on my Windows PC with the new site I’d added to 1Pwd.
    2) For your information:
    a. On the new computer (Dell XPS 7760):
    i. OS: Windows 10
    ii. 1Password: Both versions are there)
    1. 1Password 4.6.2.626 (the new site is on it)
    2. 1Password 6.8.534: (the new site is not on it. All vaults only shows Personal.
    iii. Browser: Chrome
    iv. Extension version: 4.7.1.90
    b. On the old computer (Dell XPS 410):
    i. OS: Windows 8.1
    ii. 1Password: Both versions are there (should the old one be uninstalled or would I risk losing all the saved passwords and other data?)
    1. 1Password 4.6.2.626 (the new site is on it)
    2. 1Password 6.8.534: (the new site is not on it. All vaults only shows Personal.
    iii. Browser: Chrome, IE
    iv. Extension version: Chrome 4.7.1.90, IE (have the extension, but don’t know how to find out which)
    c. On the iPhone 6+:
    i. OS: iOS 11.3.1
    ii. 1Password: Should be 1Pwd 6 but I don’t know how to find it for sure. All vaults includes Primary and Personal, both with toggle switches. When both are on, there are indeed 505 items due to their duplication. The new site in in the Primary vault (which contains 251 items), but not in the Personal vault (which has the other 254 items).
    iii. Browsers: Chrome and, rarely, Safari.
    iv. Extensions: I don’t know how to find their versions, but they usually work for the sites when I use the Share icon.
    d. On the iPhone 6s+ and iPad mini: Probably like the iPhone6+
    3) Please answer me with the due condescension to the newbie I am: On the computers, should 1Password 4 be uninstalled or would I risk losing all the saved passwords and other data? If uninstalling 1Pwd 4 is required, do I just go to Control Panel? If there's another procedure, kindly precisely indicate the required steps.
    4) On the iOS devices, is the Primary vault the original one and Personal the one I migrated to. So, should I turn Primary off and Personal on using the respective toggle switches? Or do something else?
    5) If the new, problematic site is in the Primary vault, am I right in assuming that I probably loaded it into 1Password 4 rather than 6, as both programs were in the computer? If so, is there a way of copying it into the Personal vault, or should I reenter all its data?
    Again, thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@paldossantos: Thanks for the additional info! Changing up the order a bit here:

If the new, problematic site is in the Primary vault, am I right in assuming that I probably loaded it into 1Password 4 rather than 6, as both programs were in the computer? If so, is there a way of copying it into the Personal vault, or should I reenter all its data?

Again, thank you.

Since you have both the Primary (local) and Personal (account) vaults setup on your iPhone, you can move that item and any others you need from the Primary vault to the Personal. That way you'll have everything you need in your account and can proceed with the rest.

On the computers, should 1Password 4 be uninstalled or would I risk losing all the saved passwords and other data? If uninstalling 1Pwd 4 is required, do I just go to Control Panel? If there's another procedure, kindly precisely indicate the required steps.

It's definitely best to use only a single version of 1Password on your PC. If you're using a 1Password account and can confirm that you have all of your data in 1Password 6 (and therefore also the 1Password.com website), you can safely uninstall 1Password 4. That will save you trouble with the browser too, since they won't both be trying to use it. You can do this using the Windows Settings/Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and Features section. 1Password 4 should also have an uninstaller in its application folder, but it's easiest to do it through Windows.

On the iOS devices, is the Primary vault the original one and Personal the one I migrated to. So, should I turn Primary off and Personal on using the respective toggle switches? Or do something else?

It's best to remove the Primary vault, as this is completely separate from your 1Password.com account. If you've already confirmed that you have all of your data in your account (as I suggested above regarding uninstalling 1Password 4 from the PC), simply reset the app on your iOS devices and then setup 1Password there again with only your account.

Let me know how you get along! :)

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

Thanks again for you aid.
    Everything went very well regarding my computers and iPhones.
    However, at the final step on the last device: when trying to reinstall the 1Password app from the App Store to my iPad Mini, a message popped up, saying "Unable to Purchase 1Password is not compatible with this iPad."! This is strange, since the 1Password app had been working fine on the iPad until I uninstalled it today. So, at this point, I no longer have 1Password on my iPad :'(
    How can this be resolved?

• @paldossantos

What is the model number of the iPad, and what version of iOS is it running (both answers can be found in Settings > General > About)?

Ben

• paldossantos
    paldossantos
    Community Member

Good morning:
    The model is MD532LL/A, the version is 9.3.5 (13G36).

• That would explain it. Thanks for the information. 1Password 7, which is the currently available version, requires iOS 11:

System requirements for 1Password

iOS 9 would be quite old and unsupported at this point. It may be worth considering a newer device that would be able to run the latest OS. Unfortunately you’ll only run into more incompatibilities as time passes.

I’m sorry I don’t have the answer you may have been hoping for, but I do hope that addresses your question.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@paldossantos: For what it's worth, while we absolutely do not recommend or support using outdated OS, 1Password, or browser versions (and you'd be using all three on that device), you could "purchase" the app on another device running iOS 11 (or in iTunes on a computer), and then you'd be able to install the older version on that iPad from your App Store purchase history: https://support.apple.com/HT201272#apps

This discussion has been closed.