Feedback on the new 1Password mini

Options

Comments

• Nil
    Nil
    Community Member
    Options

I love you guys and 1Password has been my favorite app for almost 10 years (I think... at least that's what it feels like), but this change is HORRIBLE. To the point that I want to get a refund for 1P 7 and go back to version 6.

For a quick search and fill, the old mini was pretty great but any time you wanted to do something beyond that it broke down for many people.

I think we should discuss the purpose of the mini and the full app. For me both of them always fulfilled two very distinct needs. And both were GREAT at their respective tasks. I think the new mini is WORSE at all of them.

1. The mini was there just to fill a login or let me open a floating window for a login or credit card so that I can copy paste information quickly. It fulfilled the need quickly and efficiently
    2. The full app was there to handle any "bigger" task that the mini couldn't like organize items, find something very specific like a note and so on.

I use both on a daily basis and it was perfect the way it was.

What about the new mini? The new mini is not better at navigating the entire library than the full app. And it is certainly worse at quickly filling in the login of the current page.

It tries to solve a problem that it is not good at solving. It feels like it has an identity crisis.

What is it trying to achieve and what is it better at than the full app?

Why is it even a "mini"? At first I thought I launched the full app and that you suddenly changed the design from the dark sidebar to the light one. It replicates what the full version does, but in a worse way. And it takes a way efficiency of the original mini.

Having everything in a self-contained window instead of opening multiple sub-views, and allowing two panes to show at once to navigate between items during search has been a huge help there. One of the biggest advantages I find in daily use is that I can bring it back up within a short period of time and it remembers where I left off so I can very quickly go back and forth to copy multiple details from an item to paste into another app or website.

Just launch the full app for that... Who needs that level of detail inside their browser... 99% the mini is used to fill logins on the currently visited page or "jump" to the login of another page. That has always been the point of it.

To make it easier, add a button at the bottom of the old mini "Launch 1Password Maxi"

And if a lot people didn't realize that they could fill a login by clicking it, then you should solve it by making it more obvious instead of changing the entire purpose of the mini. I like how you added the "Fill" text with the magic icon to do that. Just add that to the old mini and the problem is solved.

• macdaddy1944
    macdaddy1944
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with many that the mini window is way too large. I am on a 13" Retina MacBook Pro. Other issues, items with a leading bullet no longer display at the top of the list of possible entries. As a consultant, I have many of my client's iCloud credentials stored in 1Password so I label mine with a leading bullet which should put them at the top as in the main 1Password app. The new mini is not obeying that option. Also, if there are a lot of possible entries for a website login there is a noticeable lag in the list filling in. This on a dual-core i7 with 16 Gbytes of RAM.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I love you guys and 1Password has been my favorite app for almost 10 years (I think... at least that's what it feels like), but this change is HORRIBLE. To the point that I want to get a refund for 1P 7 and go back to version 6.

@Nil: I'd encourage you to give it more than a couple days. Change is hard, but what's even harder is for us to know how our future selves will feel about it further down the road. And, as a point of fact, software isn't set in stone, and we'll continue to iterate on the new design in the coming weeks and months. So relax, give it time, and let us know if you have any specific suggestions for the new 1Password mini. :)

I think we should discuss the purpose of the mini and the full app. For me both of them always fulfilled two very distinct needs. And both were GREAT at their respective tasks. I think the new mini is WORSE at all of them.

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion and preferences, but I think it's important to note that the main 1Password app window is still very much alive and you can use that for the same stuff you did before. So let's remove that as a distraction and focus on 1Password mini and its new design. ;)

The mini was there just to fill a login or let me open a floating window for a login or credit card so that I can copy paste information quickly. It fulfilled the need quickly and efficiently

The full app was there to handle any "bigger" task that the mini couldn't like organize items, find something very specific like a note and so on. I use both on a daily basis and it was perfect the way it was.

I understand that you've probably grown attached to the old mini over the years. I have too! Bu when you say it was "perfect", I've gotta tell you, it wasn't. So I think it's worth taking a step back and taking stock of what's a visceral reaction — and understandably so, given how much we depend on 1Password. But "old mini" was no more perfect than "new mini" is. But new mini has a lot of potential, in addition to the things it can do already.

What about the new mini? The new mini is not better at navigating the entire library than the full app. And it is certainly worse at quickly filling in the login of the current page.

That hasn't been my experience, but we probably have different workflows. Can you give an example of where you're having difficulty navigating? There's probably something we can do to help.

It tries to solve a problem that it is not good at solving. It feels like it has an identity crisis. What is it trying to achieve and what is it better at than the full app?

In my opinion, it's giving quicker access to features (especially editing) that were once exclusive to the main 1Password window.

Why is it even a "mini"? At first I thought I launched the full app and that you suddenly changed the design from the dark sidebar to the light one. It replicates what the full version does, but in a worse way. And it takes a way efficiency of the original mini.

I think there's some agreement that it could stand to slim down a bit. But could you elaborate on specifically what it is doing worse for you?

Just launch the full app for that... Who needs that level of detail inside their browser... 99% the mini is used to fill logins on the currently visited page or "jump" to the login of another page. That has always been the point of it. To make it easier, add a button at the bottom of the old mini "Launch 1Password Maxi" And if a lot people didn't realize that they could fill a login by clicking it, then you should solve it by making it more obvious instead of changing the entire purpose of the mini. I like how you added the "Fill" text with the magic icon to do that. Just add that to the old mini and the problem is solved.

It's important to keep in mind that not everyone uses 1Password the same way you and I do. Many people use 1Password exclusively in the browser, and this new design can help them immensely. Is it ideal for all use cases? No, but then neither was the old design. What the new design has going for it is it's more flexible, so we can continue to improve it in ways that were impossible with the old one. On of the most popular requests in this area was, in fact, to make it bigger — to show more information, and allow better use of available screen real estate. So that's where we've started. I think we may have made the minimum size too big, but we can change that. It's only the first beta you've seen with it, after all. The best is yet to come, and with more feedback we'll hone in on something that's even more useful. Thanks for participating in the beta, and sharing your thoughts! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree with many that the mini window is way too large. I am on a 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

@macdaddy1944: Thanks for letting us know! There does seem to be a growing consensus that it would help folks with smaller screens if it could be resized to smaller size.

Other issues, items with a leading bullet no longer display at the top of the list of possible entries. As a consultant, I have many of my client's iCloud credentials stored in 1Password so I label mine with a leading bullet which should put them at the top as in the main 1Password app. The new mini is not obeying that option.

Hmm. I can't say I've ever encountered that. Can you tell me the exact character you're using?

Also, if there are a lot of possible entries for a website login there is a noticeable lag in the list filling in. This on a dual-core i7 with 16 Gbytes of RAM.

Good to know! There are probably ways we can optimize it to make it more efficient as we continue to develop version 7. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, the size is tolerable on my 27-inch iMac but less so on my 15-inch MBP.

@verdi1987: Depending on what I'm doing on my 15", it's either in my way or I wish it was bigger. Really tough to find a sweet spot! :lol:

Maybe you could only show favorited credit cards by default in mini and have a way to expand all cards if needed. At a minimum please consider moving Identities above credit cards or allow us to set the order.

I can't promise anything, but I agree it would be nice to be able to sort them the way we want.

Can you give me a concrete example with the credit cards thing though? What is the context, and the exact steps you're taking? I'm just not seeing that they're getting in my way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My 2 cents worth, I like the ability to resize "mini" although it also appears to be a little bloated, no scroll bar (invisible) however it does scroll. App is lightning fast and it will (finally) launch the browser and log in. I like the "new Watchtower" categories, it would be nice to be able to reorganize them, as stated above"Inactive 2FA" is a little annoying, although it can be "tagged", these are minor issues, lest we forget what this app does for us. A secure environment to house our passwords and logins. Great work AgileBits Team.

@petermarcos: Thanks for not only the kind words, but your patience with the issues we had with open and fill in earlier betas! Glad to hear you're enjoying Watchtower, and that you've taken the time to share your constructive criticism as well. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, the credit cards are ALL listed in the right column after the list of logins every time I use mini in the browser. Since there's no way to hide it (say by collapsing the credit card list by default and only expanding it if I actually need to use a credit card, which is probably around < 3% of the time), it adds a lot of clutter to UI. I also don't like the idea of anyone near me being able to see my list of credit cards every time I need to fill a login.

@jsugarstuff: Ah, thank you! I think I'm starting to get what you mean. I can see your point there too. I guess I didn't think about it that way since I wouldn't even unlock 1Password with someone looking over my shoulder — they might see more than the names of my credit cards, like my Master Password, or the websites I go to. It's something we'll have to consider.

As for the keyboard shortcut, it's not always consistence. For example, the shortcut doesn't open mini when I'm on this forum page, oddly enough.

Which OS, browser, and extension versions are you using? As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time here, and I'm not having trouble bringing up 1Password. That would really drive me nuts!

• macdaddy1944
    macdaddy1944
    Community Member
    Options

I use Option-8 which has been the bullet since OS9 days

• Nil
    Nil
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@Nil: I'd encourage you to give it more than a couple days. Change is hard, but what's even harder is for us to know how our future selves will feel about it further down the road. And, as a point of fact, software isn't set in stone, and we'll continue to iterate on the new design in the coming weeks and months. So relax, give it time, and let us know if you have any specific suggestions for the new 1Password mini. :)

@brenty of course I will give it a few more days and I will reserve my final judgement until the final version. The reason why I am taking the time to reply here is, because I am confident that you guys will consider all of our feedback.

I am doing this because I care about 1Password, because I want to continue using it and be happy with it :)

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion and preferences, but I think it's important to note that the main 1Password app window is still very much alive and you can use that for the same stuff you did before. So let's remove that as a distraction and focus on 1Password mini and its new design. ;)

This is exactly right and the main point why I don't understand the changes to mini. You are duplicating functionality. In v6 the mini had a focused purpose.

Now you are recreating the functionality that the full app handled (and still handles) very well at the expense of the functionality the mini handled well.

My question is still, what is the purpose of the mini now? What are the problems it is solving? What are the use-cases for it?

I just don't understand it.

In my opinion, it's giving quicker access to features (especially editing) that were once exclusive to the main 1Password window.

But is the mini the best place to do editing? it happens rarely that I need to edit an item. And whenever I had to and it was a quick and easy change, I was fine with the inline edit function of the old mini. Not once did I feel it was bad. Whenever I had to make bigger changes, I was fine with going to the main app. And even with the current design, for anything beyond generating a new password, I would still prefer to go into the full app.

I think there's some agreement that it could stand to slim down a bit. But could you elaborate on specifically what it is doing worse for you?

This how I see it: The primary purpose of the mini is to give me quick access to information that I need on a page.

It was extremely efficient in the past. Whenever I clicked it, the logins for the current page were literally one click away. Slightly below it I had access to my identities and my credit cards.

Now it defaults to the last viewed section. If I fill an identity on an online shopping website and then move on and come to another website where I need to login, I have to click around to switch to the suggested section first.

It also requires much more "looking around", I have to look at the sidebar, interpret what's going on there, then switch to the right and figure out what to click there. Then it takes me to another view and I have to go back. It just feels like a lot of effort for really simple and basic tasks.

The old design allowed me to do this much easier. It gave me access to everything in one view with fewer clicks. It blended in and was almost invisible. It was there when needed and out of the way when it wasn't. The new design takes over and occupies my entire attention.

The new design also doesn't seem to have a primary purpose anymore. It's trying to do a lot and ends up not being good at any of it.

It's important to keep in mind that not everyone uses 1Password the same way you and I do. Many people use 1Password exclusively in the browser, and this new design can help them immensely.

Sure, but then is the best solution really to allow people to use 1Password exclusively in the browser? If the answer to that question is yes, then why not get rid of the full app altogether? Why add another way that does not actually significantly improve the workflow?

Or perhaps a better solution is to find ways to guide people to how to use the software in the best possible way. I still think adding a button to the mini that opens the full app is a much better solution.

The old mini was the best way to interact with the current page and get quick access to needed information. The new mini can do more, but it is not "the best" at any of those tasks anymore.

I agree that the old mini was not perfect. You, or perhaps a colleague of your's mentioned in another post for example that many people didn't even know that they could click to autofill logins. That's a problem worth solving.

And I think you guys did by adding the "Fill" text on hover. That's a great solution to a real problem.

But I don't see how turning the mini into a copy of the full app solves a significant problem. The new mini feels like a change for the sake of change instead of change in order to solve specific problems users have with it.

And I hope I am wrong, but based on your answer and the other replies I've read, my impression is that the decision to redesign the mini didn't start with "We have problem X, Y and Z. How do we solve it? Well, the best solution is to turn the mini into a maxi...".

Instead it seems like it started as "Let's redesign the mini for version 7. Because... well... we could improve editing in the mini... maybe..."

I am sorry if I sound harsh or rude. I don't mean to be. I just have a lot of love and passion for this software. :)

Edit
    I just realized cards and identities continue to show up in the suggested tab. I guess I could just ignore the rest of the new features and it wouldn't change my workflow too much.

If you used only icons in the sidebar without the full text so it doesn't feel as heavy, I would be ok with it. Even better if you could disable the whole thing and let me have something as close as possible to the old mini.

Perhaps I overreacted. I apologize. :)

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'm on the fence with regards to the new mini, midi or maxi :chuffed:

I like the look, but I'd prefer mini window to stay "docked" with the Chrome browser plugin icon like the old one was, rather than displaying in the middle of the screen.

When you click the browser plugin icon, mini was just there for you to interact with, now when you click it you have to waste precious finger strength moving the mouse curser to the middle of the screen ^_^

I'm also on a 13" RMBP and agree with others that it takes up too much realestate

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I like the new design! This redesign and some reactions makes me remember when you redesigned the extension before, it was like 200 years ago (when the extension itself provided the UI) but I wrote a very rude post on this forum, just because I was so angry and couldn't believe you dared to change my precious workflow. Since then I tell myself I've matured. ;)

Anyway, the only complaint is that, if I choose to display a password in large type, I can't seem to dismiss that password window with the Escape key. Instead I must click on the window to give it a frame and a close button, then clicking the close button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I use Option-8 which has been the bullet since OS9 days

@Nil: Got it! Thanks! I'm not seeing a difference between version 6 and 7 though. As a symbol. it should come at the end by default, with the rest, right before digits digits. But you can change this in 1Password Preferences > Advanced > Sort numbers and symbols first. Does that help? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty of course I will give it a few more days and I will reserve my final judgement until the final version. The reason why I am taking the time to reply here is, because I am confident that you guys will consider all of our feedback. I am doing this because I care about 1Password, because I want to continue using it and be happy with it :)

@Nil: Thank you so much for that! It's clear that you're passionate about making 1Password the best it can be, just as we are. :chuffed:

This is exactly right and the main point why I don't understand the changes to mini. You are duplicating functionality. In v6 the mini had a focused purpose. Now you are recreating the functionality that the full app handled (and still handles) very well at the expense of the functionality the mini handled well.

I don't see where mini has lost something, but if you have examples we're listening. :)

My question is still, what is the purpose of the mini now? What are the problems it is solving? What are the use-cases for it? I just don't understand it.

I didn't at first either, but perhaps it was easier for me to come to understand it given just how many people I interact with that only ever used mini because 1Password is, to them, something they use in the web browser. You'd be surprised just how many people that is. I know I was.

But is the mini the best place to do editing? it happens rarely that I need to edit an item.

I don't think it's meant to be. But I can tell you I do most of my editing there now, because, like you perhaps, I don't spend a lot of time editing; but I spend even less now because a quick change is doing right in mini.

And whenever I had to and it was a quick and easy change, I was fine with the inline edit function of the old mini. Not once did I feel it was bad.

Well, I've got to tell you, it really drove me nuts that the anchor window — which was the only way to get into editing from mini — was not keyboard friendly, and required me to click a tiny, tiny (x) to close it. You're probably just more dextrous with a mouse than me. But I've heard similar complaints from others.

Whenever I had to make bigger changes, I was fine with going to the main app. And even with the current design, for anything beyond generating a new password, I would still prefer to go into the full app.

That's fair. I did the same thing myself (for the reasons above), but there's nothing stoping us from going to the main 1Password window for edits now.

This how I see it: The primary purpose of the mini is to give me quick access to information that I need on a page.

Agreed.

It was extremely efficient in the past. Whenever I clicked it, the logins for the current page were literally one click away. Slightly below it I had access to my identities and my credit cards. Now it defaults to the last viewed section. If I fill an identity on an online shopping website and then move on and come to another website where I need to login, I have to click around to switch to the suggested section first.

It sounds like this is a timing issue. We've had a lot of requests that mini "remember" for a time, like Spotlight. We tried something like that in the past and it wasn't great. it sounds like we need to teak it some more. What would you recommend as far as timing?

It also requires much more "looking around", I have to look at the sidebar, interpret what's going on there, then switch to the right and figure out what to click there. Then it takes me to another view and I have to go back. It just feels like a lot of effort for really simple and basic tasks. The old design allowed me to do this much easier. It gave me access to everything in one view with fewer clicks. It blended in and was almost invisible. It was there when needed and out of the way when it wasn't. The new design takes over and occupies my entire attention.

That's reasonable. I think that's partly the attention since, arguably, most people are opening it intentionally to try to find something. It sounds like it might help if 1Password just gets smarter about showing you what you're looking for right away. Can you give a concrete example of a case where you have trouble getting the thing you want quickly?

The new design also doesn't seem to have a primary purpose anymore. It's trying to do a lot and ends up not being good at any of it.

That's fair. Fortunately we can continue to make it better for quick access (though the keyboard navigation is already really great for this). What do you use mini for most?

Sure, but then is the best solution really to allow people to use 1Password exclusively in the browser? If the answer to that question is yes, then why not get rid of the full app altogether? Why add another way that does not actually significantly improve the workflow?

Some people like the full app. And, frankly, it enables some really great features like Touch ID, integration with a wider variety of browsers (like Safari, which is really popular on macOS, but 1Password X cannot work there), speed, and more granular security settings. There's a lot that we can't do only in the browser.

Or perhaps a better solution is to find ways to guide people to how to use the software in the best possible way. I still think adding a button to the mini that opens the full app is a much better solution.

Those are good suggestions. We'll continue to work on it. :)

The old mini was the best way to interact with the current page and get quick access to needed information. The new mini can do more, but it is not "the best" at any of those tasks anymore.

Even though it looks different, I'm not having trouble accessing the information I need in the new mini, so I'm interested in the specific workflows you have in mind. Mostly I'm just hitting ⌘ \ to fill a login, or copying a note here and there.

I agree that the old mini was not perfect. You, or perhaps a colleague of your's mentioned in another post for example that many people didn't even know that they could click to autofill logins. That's a problem worth solving. And I think you guys did by adding the "Fill" text on hover. That's a great solution to a real problem.

Indeed, glad you're liking that.

But I don't see how turning the mini into a copy of the full app solves a significant problem. The new mini feels like a change for the sake of change instead of change in order to solve specific problems users have with it.

Rather than only trying to solve a problem, I think the main goal of the new design is to help expose functionality that many people didn't know 1Password had from using the old mini, such as quick filling, editing/anchoring, and a ton of items and categories hidden "below the fold". There are many, many discussions about that last one right up to this year. People resorted to Terminal commands to expose more information at once. So what's interesting is that this is a case where we've had both novice and "power" users after the same thing: the former asked us how to find stuff that was hidden, and the latter knew it was all there but wanted to have it available to them at all times. The challenge is trying to find something that strikes a good balance.

And I hope I am wrong, but based on your answer and the other replies I've read, my impression is that the decision to redesign the mini didn't start with "We have problem X, Y and Z. How do we solve it? Well, the best solution is to turn the mini into a maxi...". Instead it seems like it started as "Let's redesign the mini for version 7. Because... well... we could improve editing in the mini... maybe..." I am sorry if I sound harsh or rude. I don't mean to be. I just have a lot of love and passion for this software. :)

Haha it's no problem! I'm not sure there's a simple, satisfying explanation, but hopefully my comments above help illustrate where we're coming from. It's kind of a bummer to make stuff and then have people ask you if they can do X when you put a lot of work into making it, because they just couldn't find it or figure it out. So we're working to make 1Password's capabilities — and people's data — more easily accessible.

Edit
    I just realized cards and identities continue to show up in the suggested tab. I guess I could just ignore the rest of the new features and it wouldn't change my workflow too much.
    If you used only icons in the sidebar without the full text so it doesn't feel as heavy, I would be ok with it. Even better if you could disable the whole thing and let me have something as close as possible to the old mini. Perhaps I overreacted. I apologize. :)

Hey, no need to apologize. It's a BIG change from what we'd grown accustomed to! I think we're going to slim it down a bit, and I personally would like to be able to collapse the sidebar into icons. So we'll see. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm on the fence with regards to the new mini, midi or maxi :chuffed:

@defiant: That's good! It means we can still win you over by making it even better. ;)

I like the look, but I'd prefer mini window to stay "docked" with the Chrome browser plugin icon like the old one was, rather than displaying in the middle of the screen. When you click the browser plugin icon, mini was just there for you to interact with, now when you click it you have to waste precious finger strength moving the mouse curser to the middle of the screen ^_^

You can click and drag the top of the window to move it wherever you want...but you should try using the keyboard. That way you don't have to move the cursor at all. :)

I'm also on a 13" RMBP and agree with others that it takes up too much realestate

Thanks for chiming in! I haven't heard of anyone with a 13" screen saying it's too small, so we'll go with that. :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I like the new design! This redesign and some reactions makes me remember when you redesigned the extension before, it was like 200 years ago (when the extension itself provided the UI) but I wrote a very rude post on this forum, just because I was so angry and couldn't believe you dared to change my precious workflow. Since then I tell myself I've matured. ;)

@Xe997: That's awesome! I remember those days too. It was not an easy transition for anyone, but getting through it made us all tougher — and made it so that 1Password was able to integrate with browsers for the last many years since then!

Anyway, the only complaint is that, if I choose to display a password in large type, I can't seem to dismiss that password window with the Escape key. Instead I must click on the window to give it a frame and a close button, then clicking the close button.

Indeed, that's one thing I've always disliked about those "anchored" windows (and why I LOVE being able to edit right in mini now). I'm not sure there's a good solution, but we'll see what we can do. Thanks for the feedback! :chuffed:

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

I can't bring myself to move the window.. I like how the developers intended an application to be, so if I move the window from its original position it'll annoy me.. weird I know.

The way I have the laptop positioned on the couch arm rest, sometimes it's easier to use the mouse to interact with 1Password mini as I'm using one hand - it's somewhat awkward using one hand to press command+option+\ to invoke it

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can't bring myself to move the window.. I like how the developers intended an application to be, so if I move the window from its original position it'll annoy me.. weird I know.

@defiant: I have the same impulse, but when it saves me minutes and hours over time, I force myself to make an exception! :lol:

The way I have the laptop positioned on the couch arm rest, sometimes it's easier to use the mouse to interact with 1Password mini as I'm using one hand - it's somewhat awkward using one hand to press command+option+\ to invoke it

That gives "couch surfing" a whole new meaning! I used to play MMOs like that. One thing I did was reassign a bunch of keybindings. You can also change the keyboard shortcut in 1Password Preferences > General. I know you probably don't want to for the aforementioned reason, but try something that's more convenient for how you using it. You can always change it back if you don't like it. :)

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Haha yep, multitasking while watching TV

I would if I could, but its like OCD so I just can't bring myself to modify it >_<

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, I had to try! :lol :+1:

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @verdi1987

We will be moving identities above Credit Cards in the next update. We're having the same issue you are - more Credit Cards than Identities. :) Making collapsable sections is a bit more work, but we'll certainly consider that as well.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• dem
    dem
    Community Member
    Options

Using ⌘ ⌥ \ to call up the new mini from anywhere feels right now that it doesn't look like a menu. I kind of wish the shortcut was one-handed, though.

Here's an odd cosmetic bug in new mini. The first Secure Note in my list sometimes has a lot of white space appended to it. It doesn't always appear this way, and corrects itself if I begin to resize the mini window. It only happens to the first note in the list, and seemingly only when that's the first note I click on when entering the Secure Notes category.

Mini on the left, full window on the right:

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty You are indeed correct. I use a 2017 12 inch MacBook. When I'm using it to drive my 27 inch external monitor the size of the "mini" is fine. But when I'm using the laptop standalone the size just makes it feel too "heavy". If we simply had the ability to resize the sidebar all the way down to the icon level (make sure to include tooltips for the section names!) like we can with the main app then I think the "mini" would be fine as it is quite frankly.

• jduan
    jduan
    Community Member
    Options

The new 'mini' is so ugly.
    And what extra functions does it provide by making it big? Unnecessary.

99% of time, I just need to fill in password.
    The point of of 'mini' is to be quick and simple. Now it is almost like a full 1P.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Just another observation on placement and mouse/trackpad travel. For those of us who use multiple browsers or browser windows, even if we move mini close to the toolbar in order to minimize mouse travel, inevitably it will not be near the toolbar icon when we’re in another browser or window.

I am all for using keyboard shortcuts as much as possible. The problem is that for those of us on a desktop with a detached keyboard and pointer, our hands are more likely going to be on the mouse already because we are clicking around the browser. Invoking mini with the keyboard actually interrupts the workflow. On a laptop that is less of an issue.

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

I'm never on a laptop and have never launched 1Password with the mouse. Always the keyboard and I've been using 1Password since v2.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The new 'mini' is so ugly.

@jduan: That's pretty subjective. What in particular don't you like about it superficially? I think design is more than just appearance, but we're open to feedback. :)

And what extra functions does it provide by making it big? Unnecessary.

Perhaps for you it is deemed "unnecessary". But personally I love being able to edit and quickly access even more information without opening the main app.

99% of time, I just need to fill in password. The point of of 'mini' is to be quick and simple. Now it is almost like a full 1P.

And you can still quickly fill login credentials just as you did before. ⌘ \ is your friend. If you use that, you won't even see 1Password mini in most cases; it will just fill. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Using ⌘ ⌥ \ to call up the new mini from anywhere feels right now that it doesn't look like a menu. I kind of wish the shortcut was one-handed, though.

@dem: What kind of keyboard/layout are you using? I always do it one-handed, with my right thumb on and my right ring finger on \. And don't forget, you can always customize the keyboard shortcut in 1Password Preferences > General!

Here's an odd cosmetic bug in new mini. The first Secure Note in my list sometimes has a lot of white space appended to it. It doesn't always appear this way, and corrects itself if I begin to resize the mini window. It only happens to the first note in the list, and seemingly only when that's the first note I click on when entering the Secure Notes category.

I'm not seeing that here. Can you tell me more about the context? What vault format are you using, and how old is the item involved? Anything else interesting about it?

ref: apple-1045

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are indeed correct. I use a 2017 12 inch MacBook. When I'm using it to drive my 27 inch external monitor the size of the "mini" is fine. But when I'm using the laptop standalone the size just makes it feel too "heavy". If we simply had the ability to resize the sidebar all the way down to the icon level (make sure to include tooltips for the section names!) like we can with the main app then I think the "mini" would be fine as it is quite frankly.

@OAW: Thanks for following up! I can't promise that specifically, but it's something that's been discussed and we are looking for ways to make it more comfortable on small displays. Can you tell me how making it smaller would help your workflow? Appreciate the input! :chuffed:

ref: apple-1299

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just another observation on placement and mouse/trackpad travel. For those of us who use multiple browsers or browser windows, even if we move mini close to the toolbar in order to minimize mouse travel, inevitably it will not be near the toolbar icon when we’re in another browser or window.
    I am all for using keyboard shortcuts as much as possible. The problem is that for those of us on a desktop with a detached keyboard and pointer, our hands are more likely going to be on the mouse already because we are clicking around the browser. Invoking mini with the keyboard actually interrupts the workflow. On a laptop that is less of an issue.

@verdi1987: That makes sense. Thanks for sharing that! I don't think it's possible to satisfy all use cases, but it's certainly something we can consider as we continue to refine the new design. :)

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not going to comment on the new 1P Mini layout. There are things I preferred in the old one, and others I like in the new one. Most importantly, I feel the new big 1P Mini behaves much faaaster (open, search, etc.).

But you know what's really cool?

Dark theme works without the icon in the menu bar! :sunglasses:

Previously, the 1P Mini icon/menu had to be in the menu bar for the dark theme to work. It's not the case any more, and I'm happy to remove it since I never used this icon. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.