Can no longer use 1Password with Comcast accounts

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited May 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

I have quite a few different Xfinity/Comcast logins.

1. Using 1P with my iPhone presents by default two or three of the Comcast accounts, but not the one that I need., along with my credit cards. When I search on various parts of the login or website, I just get a few. See the screen shot below of the attempt to search.
  2. When using 1P with the computer browser (ie, 1P-mini), I can search on "comcast" and it shows the relevant accounts. However, when I select one "nothing happens". The browser does not navigate to the page and I just have a plain, white page, or the previous contents of the new tab.
  3. The only way to login is to copy/paste from 1P to the app, which is a large effort on the phone, but do-able in the computer browser.

So, very hard (computer) or impossible (iphone) to use 1P to login to comcast anymore. It used to "just work". I am wondering if this has some to do with the naming "xfinity/comcast" confusion.

I need to login with the login that begins with jasimon9. Here is what is shown after searching while trying to login:

Here is what is shown when just browsing logins and searching, but not trying to login:

Nothing I do allows display of logins other than the useless subset shown in the first screen. Why does 1P only allow a useless subset when trying to login?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9: I've removed your screenshots, as they contain personal information. This is a public forum.

Can you tell me the URL(s) you have saved in the logins, and the URL(s) where you're having trouble? If you have "comcast.net" saved and you're at "xfinity.com", 1Password will not offer to fill those for you there. Let me know what you find.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

As I said in my original message, I am wondering if it is a comcast/xfinity thing that has resulted from a very recent change to their website. You used to be able to go variations on comcast.net, such as login.comcast.net, and it worked. All my 1P logins have such URLs using login.comcast.net.

However, if you just put login.comcast.net in the browser address bar, I see that it redirects to login.xfinity.net. This is a very recent change for them, as they continue to engage in their never-ending and failing struggle to establish a consistent, unified identity.

So I am thinking now that 1P is probably working fine, and that after the redirect it tries to match any logins that I have with the xfinity.net domain.

Is that what is happening?

If so, then the obvious fix is to change the URLs in my logins to that new one.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Confirmation: the obvious step of changing the URL in the login from login.comcast.net to login.xfinity.com seems to be working. Although at first "nothing would happen" in the browser, until I restarted the browser. Now the logins are working both from 1P and 1P-mini.

Comcast also used to have this thing with different websites at comcast.net (for their email service users, etc) and comcast.com (for consumers of their media), causing no end of confusion. I am thinking they might have also eliminated that issue too, but it is too soon to tell.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I said in my original message, I am wondering if it is a comcast/xfinity thing that has resulted from a very recent change to their website. You used to be able to go variations on comcast.net, such as login.comcast.net, and it worked. All my 1P logins have such URLs using login.comcast.net.
    However, if you just put login.comcast.net in the browser address bar, I see that it redirects to login.xfinity.net. This is a very recent change for them, as they continue to engage in their never-ending and failing struggle to establish a consistent, unified identity.

@jasimon9: Indeed, a lot of times websites make changes like this and just redirect you, so it may not have even been noticeable unless you were looking for it. Good eye! Thanks for sharing this! It may help others.

So I am thinking now that 1P is probably working fine, and that after the redirect it tries to match any logins that I have with the xfinity.net domain. Is that what is happening? If so, then the obvious fix is to change the URLs in my logins to that new one.

Exactly. 1Password will only fill logins at matching URLs to protect against phishing scams. In most cases, you would absolutey not want a something.com login to fill at somethingelse.com. But, of course, this is one case where you do want to be able to fill across multiple domains, since they belong to the same company/service.

Confirmation: the obvious step of changing the URL in the login from login.comcast.net to login.xfinity.com seems to be working. Although at first "nothing would happen" in the browser, until I restarted the browser. Now the logins are working both from 1P and 1P-mini.

Thank you for confirming! Glad to hear that you're able to fill where you need to now. :)

Comcast also used to have this thing with different websites at comcast.net (for their email service users, etc) and comcast.com (for consumers of their media), causing no end of confusion. I am thinking they might have also eliminated that issue too, but it is too soon to tell.

Totally. I used to be a customer myself, and found all of this pretty confusing as well! Cheers! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.