Moving item from Private Vault to Shared Vault does not Sync between iOS devices.

sumocomputers
sumocomputers
Community Member

Moving item from Private Vault to Shared Vault does not Sync

I have a 1Password Family Cloud Subscription, we both have iOS 11.3.1. I am on iPhone X, she is on iPhone 8.

If I have a login item in my "Private Vault" and select Move to "Shared Vault", it never syncs with my wifes phone, even though she has full access to "Shared Vault". And she does have her own 1Password account which is part of the Family.

This is when we are both on LTE.

I have tried force quitting both apps and it doesn't work, and have waited upwards of 30 minutes with no luck.

I have even toggled airplane mode on both phones, doesn't work either.

If I check some time later, usually when at home on WiFi, then it's there.

I wish there was a way to see the sync status or progress for the 1Password cloud service.

Is this a known issue?

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.3.1
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• @sumocomputers : when you're checking on your wife's phone, are you launching the 1Password app, or are you going to the website in Safari (or another browser) then using the 1Password extension to try to find the item? I ask because the 1Password browser extension doesn't (yet) do sync at all, and so it can only show what's available locally. The best way to trigger sync is to launch the 1Password app and unlock it. That should trigger sync shortly afterwards and the item should appear.

Does that help?

Rick

• sumocomputers
    sumocomputers
    Community Member

Only using the 1Password app on both. Here are the exact steps I have seen fail 3 times:

1. Open 1Password on my iPhone X with FaceID and move a vault item from Private to Shared.
    2. Open 1Passoword on my wife's iPhone 8 with TouchID and do not see the new item in Shared.
    3. Then proceed with airplane mode, force quit, etc as mentioned above, none of which work.

If you think this is not expected behavior, I am happy to get logs or try other troubleshooting.

But are you telling me I need to lock the app and then unlock it on both devices? If so, I have 3 problems with that:

1. It should sync automatically
    2. In rare cases where it doesn't, it's silly to me that there isn't a "Sync Now" or "Force Sync" button (also lacking on desktop I think)
    3. If I do select Lock Now, I have to enter my crazy long master password on each phone to unlock, which is the whole reason we have FaceID and TouchID in the first place

BTW, the reason I finally ponied up the subscription money to 1Password after many years of using Dropbox and then iCloud sync, was the syncing issues you guys said are addressed with a 1Password paid account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sumocomputers: Correct. We just don't see sync conflicts with 1Password.com, and when there are issues we can act quickly to get them resolved, since it's our service and software from top to bottom. Dropbox and iCloud are great for what they do, but they were neither designed with 1Password in mind nor do we have any control over them.

But while 1Password.com does sync more reliably, iOS apps can do only very little for a very short time when they are not running, and 1Password for iOS can do even less if it is not open and unlocked, as the data is encrypted. So you will need to open and unlock the app on a device for it to communicate with the server to either send or receive changes. Otherwise it cannot sync anything, regardless of the server being ready and waiting at all times.

If that doesn't mesh with what you're seeing though, definitely restart your devices, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report for each so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send them to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#MAC-25661-296]

If you’re reading this and you are not sumocomputers, this Support ID is for sumocomputers only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: MAC-25661-296

• sumocomputers
    sumocomputers
    Community Member

I was able to send Diagnostics, and I also found more clarification on the problem, which makes it easier to reproduce:

1. Add a Login item on 1Password for Mac to my Private Vault with my account
    2. Open 1Password on the iPhone when on LTE, and unlock 1Password, also my account
    3. Observe the new item cannot be found when searching
    4. Wait a few minutes, then Lock/Unlock the phone again and observe the new item still cannot be found when searching
    5. Turn on WiFi, search again, and immediately the item is found

Verizon LTE is working very well by browsing web and doing a speed test. Also tried turning off/on LTE radio only, and it did not help.

Hopefully the diagnostic logs give you what you need.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sumocomputers: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

This discussion has been closed.