Recent Start Up Change

Options
Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

IP7 has recently started behaving differently on start up. I have attached a screen shot. Two things are different: Firstly 1P7 asks me for my Master Password. This never used to happen unless and until I either cliocked on the 1P mini in Edge or Firefox orI did the same on the app in the task bar. Have you done something different in a recent update? Secondly, I now get this screen asking me to install 1P. Which version it wants me to install is not clear. Why am I getting this request and how do I get rid of it?

1Password Version: 7.0.542
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@Andrew42: I think what you mean is that 1Password wasn't opening like this right off the bat for you previously. This isn't a change in 1Password, but in Edge. I suspect you recently updated to the April 2018 Update — version 1803 — and there Microsoft has Windows starting Edge in the background on every startup, which also initializes the 1Password extension there, which in turn triggers opening 1Password itself. You're seeing the splash screen because at that point 1Password isn't fully running yet, so the extension thinks you don't have 1Password installed. This isn't something we have control over, but you can safely close both windows. Initially this caused some reliability issues, but if you're up to date with 1Password 7 and the Edge extension (from the Windows Store), you're good to go. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty. You are absolutely correct. I was "upgraded" to the April update. It removed all my restore points, turned off the protection setting for my "C" drive so I wouldn't have any more restore points, played around with my printer settings and generally misbehaved! So, in addition, I'm faced with having this screen saying 1P isn't installed for ever and a day or is there something I can do to make it go away?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: :scream:

I've actually had a really good experience with 1803...but then again I didn't experience anything terrifying like that. :(

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, while you can close it, this will happen on each boot when Edge starts up. As far I I know there's no way to prevent it from doing so. And the only way to prevent that from initializing 1Password as well would be to remove it from the browser...which I don't think is what you want, but I guess you could use Chrome or Firefox. Perhaps after this upgrade experience that seems more appealing. :sweat:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty. I just find it amazing that the bright sparks in Redmond do such stupid things as turning off protection on drives and not even telling the user that they should check. I only found out because I wanted to ensure that I could roll back the update if I wanted to. I create a restore point every week and keep four of them. Every one was removed and the system turned off: crazy. Don't bother to respond: I just on a rant!!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

The sad thing is, that isn't new. I've had the same thing happened to me on the Windows 10 AU update, it just disabled the whole protection.....I lost some files and I couldn't recover. Luckily, it was in a cloud folder, so I could recover from it.

Before I proceed, this is my own recommendation and not of AgileBits, I would recommend using a third party tool to backup your files and not depend on Windows 10 to do this. I use Macium Reflect for backing up drives.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. I use NovaStor. I dont know Macium Reflect: I'll certainly look at it.

• MikeT
    Options

:+1:

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

I can also recommend Macrium Reflect. They had a bug recently with their "changed block tracking" mechanism (an optional speed-enhancing feature); other than that they have been flawless for me.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkh: Thanks for chiming in! I'm going to check them out as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.